PW Hunt totals:

Deer:91
Moose:24
Elk:0

3 down...12 days to go

S
Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Totals

Looks like the numbers are down from last years record year. Great weather though.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned

wasnt opening hunt last year at least double the numger of moose?
Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 AM

it was tough hunting it was like walking on cornflakes snow was very crunchy so stalking was very difficult seen lots of animals just not able to sneak up close
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 PM

Default Bull moose

I am a first time hunter to the base with a bull moose tag any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-02-2018, 10:24 PM

Thanks for posting the totals.
Do you track how many bucks vs does are shot? Or whitetail vs mules?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Banned

They have it all broken down to bucks does fawns and species
Old 12-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Are the #s on there way back up, or just stabilizing out that way. You guys do a count before and after was just curious as to how they are
Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 PM

They indicated they flew it late Feb. Moose numbers are down slightly. I was there last week. We saw moose. But the snow was BRUTAL to try and walk. It was like cornflakes on bubble wrap. We were not successful
Old 12-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Hey Shane, how many subsistence hunters are on the base per day?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Default wainright

There was a group of 4 today that shot 2 cows and calf, they missed the 48" bull tho, a son and father managed to get him in their truck
Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 PM

A buddy shot a bull elk today.

LC
Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Glad we have to wait 11 years for a antlered tag. Especially when there from sask. Congrats on the bull elk.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Lots of snow... lots of elk.

I saw 2 nice bulls at the station as I was leaving. Good job folks.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A buddy shot a bull elk today.

LC
A 5x5 perhaps?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingthefreezerfull View Post
There was a group of 4 today that shot 2 cows and calf, they missed the 48" bull tho, a son and father managed to get him in their truck
More than 4 In the group
They had 5 moose in their trucks at bps
I offered to try and help them but when I seen a box full of moose I kept driving.
Glad those guys got that bull
Nice heavy fronts
Old 12-04-2018, 03:48 PM

Got our cow moose after a grueling 30 minute hunt from the truck....(yes, that's sarcasm....) pulled the trigger yesterday at 9 am and was home by 2:30pm, thanks for another great hunt Camp Wainwright!

Got our cow moose less than a kilometer from where my brother got his 2 years ago....I'll keep going back. I struck out on a big WT this year after 10+ days in the stand so it was a nice change to go out and get a moose quick!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:35 AM

I’m eager to see an update on the animals harvested come the end of rifle 1, especially if any more elk have been taken!?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:54 AM

you will probably be one of the lucky ones. the circumstances of a recent snow, you cutting fresh track, them not leaving the base or entering a no go zone before they stopped, you getting on them before someone else bumped them, all came together for you.

there were 8 taken last year over the four hunts(a record for the base) . normal taken numbers are 2-3 per year.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM

I know I May be a little frustrated. But with the amount of money that people spend to come on this hunt. You would think the Base would take a break for two weeks and open everything up. Nothing more frustrating seeing 180-200” mulies in a zone you know could be open next hunt.

The economic impact this hunt has on the town, seems like a bad idea to close half the base off. I know some guys are gonna say there is tons of area still, but I couldn’t go without a half hour without running into another group of hunters.

I have done this hunt over the last 20 years and never seen so much of the base
closed off.

Also not too impressed with the hunters who don’t have to buy any tags and come take 5 moose out of the hunt, when again guys are waiting 10 years for a bull tag. Even when I asked about there moose and where they seen them as a buddie had a cow tag, all I got was a dumb look and attitude. No ****ing wonder everyone is sick of it.

On a positive note, all the hunters that had to purchase a tag I encountered were more then helpful offering an idea of were they seen certain animals as I did they same.

Especially on the first hunt when your using a priority 7 minimum to come do the hunt, I am just a little frustrated.

Last edited by Ghenn96; 12-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenn96 View Post
I know I May be a little frustrated. But with the amount of money that people spend to come on this hunt. You would think the Base would take a break for two weeks and open everything up. Nothing more frustrating seeing 180-200” mulies in a zone you know could be open next hunt.

The economic impact this hunt has on the town, seems like a bad idea to close half the base off. I know some guys are gonna say there is tons of area still, but I couldn’t go without a half hour without running into another group of hunters.
This has to be the dumbest thing I’ve read on here in quite some time. You think the military should suspend operations and open up closed off areas because you’ve been waiting a long time to pull the tag? Absolutely ridiculous. Being able to hunt wainwright is a privilege. The fact that the military even allows it is overly generous to begin with. And the military isn’t in business to generate tourism dollars for towns.

We should consider ourselves lucky that we have this extra opportunity outside of the other draws.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
you will probably be one of the lucky ones. the circumstances of a recent snow, you cutting fresh track, them not leaving the base or entering a no go zone before they stopped, you getting on them before someone else bumped them, all came together for you.

there were 8 taken last year over the four hunts(a record for the base) . normal taken numbers are 2-3 per year.

Indeed luck was on our side, not to mention the miles we put on on foot put us where we needed to be. I couldn’t wait to get out of the truck and walk, and that would be my advice to all of the hunters with a tag still.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
This has to be the dumbest thing I’ve read on here in quite some time. You think the military should suspend operations and open up closed off areas because you’ve been waiting a long time to pull the tag? Absolutely ridiculous. Being able to hunt wainwright is a privilege. The fact that the military even allows it is overly generous to begin with. And the military isn’t in business to generate tourism dollars for towns.

We should consider ourselves lucky that we have this extra opportunity outside of the other draws.
I couldn’t agree more, this Hunt is a BONUS hunt basically. There’s things about it that I don’t agree with, for example those who don’t require a tag to take 5 moose home. But the fact we get to hunt that property and have very real opportunities to harvest animals post regular season- that’s something to be grateful for, not be cynical about.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:48 PM

"I have done this hunt over the last 20 years and never seen so much of the base closed off. "

not trying to be a jerk, but if you have been going for 20 years, you would know that closures COULD happen and limit the area you can hunt. for a three day window, yah, could mess you up.

and it is hunting, not shooting. im very thankful for this opportunity, regardless of the outcome, but each to their own.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

first nations have strict rules on what they can harvest but dont let that get in your way of bashing what you dont know. When i went last it was 1 moose, 1 elk or 2 deer.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:25 PM

I was on the base the last couple days as a helper and I had a great time. We took a nice 155-160ish class mule deer the second evening, he was the biggest buck we had seen. There are bigger bucks in there but we just didn't find them. There is a rumor there is a big boy living in one of the zones that is closed today.

We hunted in the annex the first two days and seen a few deer, moose and elk. My biggest recommendation is GET OUT OF YOUR TRUCK! When you get off the roads a couple hundred of yards there is tons of sign! Lots of people are just cruising the trails.

Also if you don't have good tires or a truck with enough weight don't take your truck into the hills. Quite a few guys were getting stuck down in the bottoms and couldn't get back out.

If you think you are going on this hunt and you are going to shoot a monster buck, you might be disappointed. I'm not say they aren't there but they aren't over every hill either. It is what you make of it, we got out of the truck and hiked for hours and didn't see any other hunters once we got away from the roads. Every one we met were super friendly and everyone was helping each other. If you go into it with a positive attitude you will have a good time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post

Let's not forget the real reason hunting is allowed on the base. Herd management. So no, I don't feel privileged to hunt it. They need us hunters to control population so the government doesn't have another Suffield on their hands.

I am undecided if I will return. I feel there are better opportunities in other areas of the province and the quality of animals in the base do not warrant the priority points required to draw a tag.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Let's not forget the real reason hunting is allowed on the base. Herd management. So no, I don't feel privileged to hunt it. They need us hunters to control population so the government doesn't have another Suffield on their hands.

I am undecided if I will return. I feel there are better opportunities in other areas of the province and the quality of animals in the base do not warrant the priority points required to draw a tag.

We can agree to disagree. I feel privileged to hunt every day I’m in the field. And I’m privileged to pass that onto my family. Sounds like it’s not for you, so apply elsewhere.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
I was on the base the last couple days as a helper and I had a great time. We took a nice 155-160ish class mule deer the second evening, he was the biggest buck we had seen. There are bigger bucks in there but we just didn't find them. There is a rumor there is a big boy living in one of the zones that is closed today.

We hunted in the annex the first two days and seen a few deer, moose and elk. My biggest recommendation is GET OUT OF YOUR TRUCK! When you get off the roads a couple hundred of yards there is tons of sign! Lots of people are just cruising the trails.

Also if you don't have good tires or a truck with enough weight don't take your truck into the hills. Quite a few guys were getting stuck down in the bottoms and couldn't get back out.

If you think you are going on this hunt and you are going to shoot a monster buck, you might be disappointed. I'm not say they aren't there but they aren't over every hill either. It is what you make of it, we got out of the truck and hiked for hours and didn't see any other hunters once we got away from the roads. Every one we met were super friendly and everyone was helping each other. If you go into it with a positive attitude you will have a good time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Congrats on your mulie! Nothing wrong with a 160” buck at all!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
first nations have strict rules on what they can harvest but dont let that get in your way of bashing what you dont know. When i went last it was 1 moose, 1 elk or 2 deer.
Ok.