Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
First thing you need to ask yourself is how much is YOUR time worth?? Hunters are always complaining about tanning and/or taxidermy prices yet think they are worth 50 bucks an hour! I tan a lot of hides for myself and other trappers and hunters. It's a LOT of work, and the equipment isn't cheap. Tanning hides properly takes a lot of manual labour, and a lot of dollars worth of equipment. Tanneries use professionals, as do taxidermists, they need to make a living too. Remember that next time you want something done cheap.....

If you want to tan those beaver yourself get some Trubond 1000B its the best there is. But be prepared to work, and you WONT get the quality that a commercial tannery can, I dont care what anyone tells you. The good news is that after trying it yourself you will never complain about tannery prices again....
I’m not a hunter complaining about work done for me, I’m a trapper and outfitter that works on margins.
If a wolf costs the tannery that much to tan then there’s something wrong with their process. Other tanneries do it for half that and still turn a profit.
I’m not greedy, but if I can’t make my 30% I’m not doing it period. They can make their 30% too, but if I have to drop my margin to 10% so they can make 50%, the game has become skewed.

Notice how he didn’t mention my $2300 bison ! I have to wonder what the margins were on that one ?
Old 12-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Gone Hunting

I've done the home tanning. I know how much it cost me, and how much labor it was.

I looked into getting hides tanned when I was trapping. I have no idea if the prices I saw were excessive. It didn't matter for my purposes.
The cost right or wrong was simply too high for me to make money on my hides.

A trapper is a businessman. If he's not making a profit he won't be trapping for long.

A trapper also has costs he has to cover. He also has equipment that costs money. He also has overhead.

It makes no sense to have a hide tanned if all one can recoupe from the cost is $50.00 when he can market the raw hide to an auction house for $100.00 or more. Yes I know they can fetch over $400.00 at times.

I also see what tanned hides sell for. I note that the seller I see had to buy that hide from a trapper or tannery. Everyone in the chain has to make money or the chain breaks.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I have sent stuff to International fur in Whinnipeg before, the prices used to be better and it made sense to pay for shipping and export permits. But they have raised prices and I can send my stuff local for the same or better price.
Wait times are very season dependent in my experience. I sent my Axis deer for tanning at Wesrern Fur and paid the extra few bucks for the faster turn around. I was very happy with the finished product
I think you must have priced things wrong then.
Just got Internationals prices yesterday!
International prices
Coyotes $70
Fox $60
Wolf $175

Western ( if you deal in bulk or are a taxidermist which saves you about %20)
These are last years prices as well so who knows about this year.
Coyote $102
Fox $94
Wolf $268

So for the average guy taking in a couple furs add on your extra %15 -%20 onto those prices....
Just one wolf and you are at $125 difference.
Explain how you are not saving much even after the shipping cost?
Bottom line it don't matter much. A business can do what he wants to do. I have had some great stuff done at Western and have also felt bent over as well.
The thread was about tanning costs and I gave my info. A little research and it can save you a few hundred bucks if you got a handful of coyotes to tan. Good luck with whatever you choose
Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I've done the home tanning. I know how much it cost me, and how much labor it was.

I looked into getting hides tanned when I was trapping. I have no idea if the prices I saw were excessive. It didn't matter for my purposes.
The cost right or wrong was simply too high for me to make money on my hides.

A trapper is a businessman. If he's not making a profit he won't be trapping for long.

A trapper also has costs he has to cover. He also has equipment that costs money. He also has overhead.

It makes no sense to have a hide tanned if all one can recoupe from the cost is $50.00 when he can market the raw hide to an auction house for $100.00 or more. Yes I know they can fetch over $400.00 at times.

I also see what tanned hides sell for. I note that the seller I see had to buy that hide from a trapper or tannery. Everyone in the chain has to make money or the chain breaks.
You get it Keg. Kinda hard to sell a tanned coyote these days to people and they look at you sideways when you ask $250 or 300 for it. When the cost to tan it is $120 and you would get $130 average at the auction it makes sense why you sell for a min. of $250. It isn't worth the hassle and may as well sell to the auction.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Tanning everywhere has gone up in price just like everything else in life, I also do my own home tanning both traditional brain tanning and modern chemicals and have put plenty of money into equipment to do it and it is a ton of work to tan especially good quality. Like Yukon said try a beaver and see where you get compared to the pros lol. I have used many tanneries and still do, western has done good work for me, I know some folks who had issues there and some were resolved professionally there too. When I first started getting my equipment together they were more than grateful to give me some insight and even let me come check out some of their equipment which I was very grateful for and I'm sure lots would not have... But in my humble opinion and I've seen the work from tanneries all across Canada and lots in the states International fur has the best quality tan out there hands down its not even comparable... and there a reason its so cheap in the states from what I've seen. But I wouldn't hesitate to use western again just make sure everyone is on the same page for what your paying and what your expecting to get back.If the wolf was properly done when dropped off like you said it should be $200 or less IMO
Old 12-18-2018, 01:05 PM

I got my Zama Wood Bison hide in 2016 I believe it was and I called Western ahead of time to see about pricing, again like a lot of you other guys I couldn't believe the price of it, I was quote just under 2400$ for the whole thing...don't even remembered if I said no thank you when the call disconnected because I think I passed out after hearing the price. Now again nothing against western fur tannery as Ive never personally brought anything to them for tanning but Ive tanned tons of pelts myself and ACTUALLY I found a tannery in Raley, the hutterites! They did my ENTIRE bison fleshed skinned and cleaned up for 500$! Havent been back there for a few years now but I was quoted 150$ for bear hide and 100-125 for deer hides hair on. THey told me the only thing that so far they will not tan is antelope,,,something to do with the hair follicles I believe? Anyways, just trying to help out the average dude looking for the odd tanned hide here and there, take it or leave it. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_beeks View Post
I got my Zama Wood Bison hide in 2016 I believe it was and I called Western ahead of time to see about pricing, again like a lot of you other guys I couldn't believe the price of it, I was quote just under 2400$ for the whole thing...don't even remembered if I said no thank you when the call disconnected because I think I passed out after hearing the price. Now again nothing against western fur tannery as Ive never personally brought anything to them for tanning but Ive tanned tons of pelts myself and ACTUALLY I found a tannery in Raley, the hutterites! They did my ENTIRE bison fleshed skinned and cleaned up for 500$! Havent been back there for a few years now but I was quoted 150$ for bear hide and 100-125 for deer hides hair on. THey told me the only thing that so far they will not tan is antelope,,,something to do with the hair follicles I believe? Anyways, just trying to help out the average dude looking for the odd tanned hide here and there, take it or leave it. Merry Christmas!
The reason the Hutterites can do it for that price is because they dont have to pay a fair wage, and they dont. Because of their religious status they are exempt, and I think its total BS. They are running businesses just like everyone else, they should have to play by the same rules. I'm a Christian so got nothing against religion, but they are taking advantage of it in a big way.

I get asked all the time to do bison and moose hides, but I wont anymore.They are a ton of work. Anyone who has stood at a round knife for hours on end thinning one would know that $2000 is a fair price.

I think taxidermy and tanning prices shock residents because they are not used to spending a lot of money to hunt, ( thankfully). Hunters that travel and do a lot of guided hunts realize that the hunt cost is aprox 50% of the actual cost of the hunt. Tanning, taxidermy, and shipping is going to cost about as much as the hunt if you are getting quality work. A friend just got back from Africa and his taxidermy, tanning, and shipping actually cost him more than the hunt itself by a few thousand dollars.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 PM

Hi LandlockedIslander it just so happens I am tanning my first deer hide right now! I normally take them in to be tanned (I've done this the past three yrs in a row) and it costs roughly $150 per hide. This year though we took my husbands deer to a different tanner and the hide will cost us around $200 - this tanner is in Lethbridge.

I took a pic of the deer I am currently tanning (my deer) and what I am using. Now this is the first time I've done this and I have to say doing this in my house is not the most ideal place! Will be a different area next time I do this! You'll notice in the pic the tanning kit I am using and I bought that from Halfords and that kit was around $75. I am at the last stage now before it will have to sit for the next two/three days to dry out. Once I have completed all the stages - I will repost the finished product. You will also notice a rabbit hide too. I have used the little orange bottle in the past on a rabbit hide and squirrels - I am pleased with the outcome and will continue to use it on the small animals. I am trying something different as well - preserving the feet of the deer & rabbits - I'm using a pickle formula I got off of YouTube. I am hoping to make some coat/gun hangers out of the deer feet and some lucky rabbits feet. I should mention on the tanning kit & orange bottle - the instructions are easy to read and follow and - I have never done this before either (other than a single rabbit hide and three squirrels) ! Will keep you posted as this progresses this week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04353.jpg (74.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04355.jpg (43.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04356.jpg (79.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I think you must have priced things wrong then.
Just got Internationals prices yesterday!
International prices
Coyotes $70
Fox $60
Wolf $175

Western ( if you deal in bulk or are a taxidermist which saves you about %20)
These are last years prices as well so who knows about this year.
Coyote $102
Fox $94
Wolf $268

So for the average guy taking in a couple furs add on your extra %15 -%20 onto those prices....
Just one wolf and you are at $125 difference.
Explain how you are not saving much even after the shipping cost?
Bottom line it don't matter much. A business can do what he wants to do. I have had some great stuff done at Western and have also felt bent over as well.
The thread was about tanning costs and I gave my info. A little research and it can save you a few hundred bucks if you got a handful of coyotes to tan. Good luck with whatever you choose
base price is lower, but then there is shipping both ways, export permit, and fee for case skinned which i prefer for my wall hangers. then there is the hassel of going to fish and wildlife to get your permit.

i recall foxes used to be 44 at international before the last price hike, which was a good deal.

I agree that it is hard to make a decent profit off tanned fur now regarless of who dresses them. margins are too slim for what the market wants to pay
Old 12-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
First thing you need to ask yourself is how much is YOUR time worth?? Hunters are always complaining about tanning and/or taxidermy prices yet think they are worth 50 bucks an hour! I tan a lot of hides for myself and other trappers and hunters. It's a LOT of work, and the equipment isn't cheap. Tanning hides properly takes a lot of manual labour, and a lot of dollars worth of equipment. Tanneries use professionals, as do taxidermists, they need to make a living too. Remember that next time you want something done cheap.....

If you want to tan those beaver yourself get some Trubond 1000B its the best there is. But be prepared to work, and you WONT get the quality that a commercial tannery can, I dont care what anyone tells you. The good news is that after trying it yourself you will never complain about tannery prices again....
This
Old 12-18-2018, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainthopeacres View Post
Hi LandlockedIslander it just so happens I am tanning my first deer hide right now! I normally take them in to be tanned (I've done this the past three yrs in a row) and it costs roughly $150 per hide. This year though we took my husbands deer to a different tanner and the hide will cost us around $200 - this tanner is in Lethbridge.

I took a pic of the deer I am currently tanning (my deer) and what I am using. Now this is the first time I've done this and I have to say doing this in my house is not the most ideal place! Will be a different area next time I do this! You'll notice in the pic the tanning kit I am using and I bought that from Halfords and that kit was around $75. I am at the last stage now before it will have to sit for the next two/three days to dry out. Once I have completed all the stages - I will repost the finished product. You will also notice a rabbit hide too. I have used the little orange bottle in the past on a rabbit hide and squirrels - I am pleased with the outcome and will continue to use it on the small animals. I am trying something different as well - preserving the feet of the deer & rabbits - I'm using a pickle formula I got off of YouTube. I am hoping to make some coat/gun hangers out of the deer feet and some lucky rabbits feet. I should mention on the tanning kit & orange bottle - the instructions are easy to read and follow and - I have never done this before either (other than a single rabbit hide and three squirrels) ! Will keep you posted as this progresses this week!
Tanning it in the house! Wow! I did that when I was single, if I tried it now I'd loose some body parts that I rather like.

I would love to see the finished product. I bet it will be good.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
I’ve got a none-fleshed frozen hide in my freezer right now waiting for the time to tan it. I’m far from an expert but I have tanned two rabbit and two deer (though I didn’t break these so their essentially rawhide. Picture below) hides. If we’re able to connect on a time I’d be more than willing to share what little I know, show you whats involved with this hide I have in the freezer. I’m one hour north of Calgary. Pm if interested. Attachment 151340

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty cool. Kind of a neat way to keep memories from hunts that didn't involve antlers. Posting to keep this idea saved for next season.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
base price is lower, but then there is shipping both ways, export permit, and fee for case skinned which i prefer for my wall hangers. then there is the hassel of going to fish and wildlife to get your permit.

i recall foxes used to be 44 at international before the last price hike, which was a good deal.

I agree that it is hard to make a decent profit off tanned fur now regarless of who dresses them. margins are too slim for what the market wants to pay
Yes if you just have one or 2 pieces it is not worth it but for a trapper who does a bunch of stuff every year it is I find. $20 for a permit and shipping plus half hr at the fish cops. If foxes was $44 things sure have jumped a ton. I wonder why? Maybe disposal fees for the fluid they use? I'd be curious to know costs and time involved on a coyote hide!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:51 PM

Well i know after getting my first wolf this year i was shocked at the cost.
$650 for a tanned hide.
Thats if i gutted and skinned it. I have no clue how to do the paws and head so there is that cost. I just could not justify it even though I really wanted to. I was able to do a trade with a taxidermist. He did up the scull for me and he keeps the hide.
I would have loved to get a mount done but with the cost(not that taxidermist charges to much. I could not swing the cash)
One day i will learn how to properly skin and clean to have my hides tanned.
I know the amount of work it is to do a moose as i have helped my grandfather do a few. Man its a pile of work.