Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-12-2020, 10:49 PM

Default 22lr clean or don’t clean, how to clean!

I’m wondering what people’s views are, when it comes to cleaning their 22lrs, I’ve heard from several people that they don’t clean their .22s, and I’ve also heard of people cleaning their .22lrs to a spit polish. I clean my .22lrs quite clean, and I’m wondering if it’s not necessary! I would love to hear people’s opinions, and or methods of cleaning their .22s.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I’m wondering what people’s views are, when it comes to cleaning their 22lrs, I’ve heard from several people that they don’t clean their .22s, and I’ve also heard of people cleaning their .22lrs to a spit polish. I clean my .22lrs quite clean, and I’m wondering if it’s not necessary! I would love to hear people’s opinions, and or methods of cleaning their .22s.
Rarely ... every few years
Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 PM

Agree !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Old 05-12-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Me too. I clean the surface and make sure the moving parts are looked after, after every day at the range
Old 05-12-2020, 11:16 PM

Default 22lr clean

I read an article written by a military sniper. He said that they only clean their rifle barrels about every 300 shots.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 PM

There are two different types of shooters when it comes to .22 smallbore rifles.
Those who rarely clean the bores of their rifles, and those who clean regularly.

I used to ask this question regularly of the master class shooters when I was a Marksman class shooter and the common answer was " after every match".
I clean my smallbore rifles about the same intervals as my centerfire rifles.
Cat
Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 PM

22lr - the barrel, never.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:27 PM

I’ve got my 10/22 stripped into pieces right now cleaning the receiver and barrel. I can’t remember the last time I did it, but it’s been a while.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:48 PM

I don't clean a .22 as often as a centre fire. If you say every few years you most likely don't know when you cleaned it last.......was it 2,3,4,5 years? Just sayin if you can remember something that you do every three years, your memory is amazing.

I clean all my rifles/guns at the end of gun season (Dec/Jan). If I clean them all then, well, I know I've cleaned them all.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Anschutz recommends every 1000 rounds for the first 10,000, then every 5000 rounds.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:20 AM

I am a regular cleaner of my 22's. Although I have never seen them lose accuracy even when very dirty I just prefer them clean, typically after each outing.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default 22lr

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!! Wipe the finger prints off with an oily rag, clean the mag, maybe a dry patch through the barrel and get back to shooting.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:44 AM

Mine's a gopher gun. Seen rain, snow, sun, dust storms over the last 40 years. Also has seen a cleaning kit once over the last 40 years. Still shoots and kills gophers.

I'm not sure I could buy anything mass produced these days that would hold a candle to the longevity of that 10/22.

I've shot the lights out of that thing, heated the barrel to the point you couldn't touch it, still to this day shoots better than I do.

J.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Mine's a gopher gun. Seen rain, snow, sun, dust storms over the last 40 years. Also has seen a cleaning kit once over the last 40 years. Still shoots and kills gophers.

I'm not sure I could buy anything mass produced these days that would hold a candle to the longevity of that 10/22.

I've shot the lights out of that thing, heated the barrel to the point you couldn't touch it, still to this day shoots better than I do.

J.
It all depends on your accuracy standards. If you are happy with a 22lr that shoots 1" at 50 yards and 2-3" at 100 yards, that is far different than those of us that demand sub 1/2" at 50 yards, and sub 1" at 100 yards.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:38 AM

Unless it was pouring rain or snowing out there, or she was dropped in the mud, Chances are there will be no regular cleaning for the 22's - they get used, and put away.

I did do all of them last year, as I was moving my cabinet and stuff around in the house, and, maybe out of boredom, I did clean them up, but I'm guessing it was 4-5 years before that maybe longer.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:56 AM
Banned

Once every fall before putting them away for winter.
In 5 years have never noticed any accuracy falloff.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
22lr - the barrel, never.
Agreed
Old 05-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post

J.
yup...was out yesterday plinking steel and she was so dirty that when I got back a squirt of some type of lube I found on the shelf....worked the action a few times and she is ready to go for today.....she sits is a plastic stock...4 power bushnel scope complete with a slightly pitted barrel....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-13-2020, 11:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It all depends on your accuracy standards. If you are happy with a 22lr that shoots 1" at 50 yards and 2-3" at 100 yards, that is far different than those of us that demand sub 1/2" at 50 yards, and sub 1" at 100 yards.
with the right ammo and I do my part the abused 10/22 does shoot .5 to .75 at 50....gophers no liky me.

Gotta say the .22lr is the greatest cartridge ever developed/manufactured...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Banned

I clean mine when I notice an adverse effect on the accuracy, not having to do with the weather.
If its windy nd its consistently hitting to the side, I dont worry about it. If its low and cold, hot and high, but still grouping acceptable nd k can adjust for those changes, no need. But when I start getting the erratic shots it's either ammo or it needs to be cleaned. Ammo is the easy one, especially if I'm halfway in to a box, I'll know that's not the problem.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:43 AM

I got an old beat up Cooey from my Grandpa. First thing I did was inspect the bore. About half way down the barrel was a ring where the bore was A LOT smaller than .22, couldn’t see grooves or lands. It killed my .22 bore brush (after lots of patches and solvent) to get that ring of lead out. I honestly don’t know how that thing was still shooting. Shoot REALLY good now though. Too bad it still looks like it was used as a boat paddle in salt water though.... Come on Gramps, take care of your guns! I may restore it one day, but also want to leave it how he used it.

Anyways, I’d say keep an eye on the bore and how it’s shooting. If everything looks okay and it’s shooting well, why mess with it?
Old 05-15-2020, 06:10 AM

I clean mine every 500 rounds or so, in a typical summer i'll put upward of 3,000 rounds through it, maybe it's just me but I hate to put guns away dirty.

I'm a clean freak when it comes to my guns, vehicles and my garage, my daughter say's i'm anal cause you can eat off the floor of my garage.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:23 AM

Default 22lr clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I clean mine when I notice an adverse effect on the accuracy, not having to do with the weather.
If its windy nd its consistently hitting to the side, I dont worry about it. If its low and cold, hot and high, but still grouping acceptable nd k can adjust for those changes, no need. But when I start getting the erratic shots it's either ammo or it needs to be cleaned. Ammo is the easy one, especially if I'm halfway in to a box, I'll know that's not the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I clean mine every 500 rounds or so, in a typical summer i'll put upward of 3,000 rounds through it, maybe it's just me but I hate to put guns away dirty.

I'm a clean freak when it comes to my guns, vehicles and my garage, my daughter say's i'm anal cause you can eat off the floor of my garage.
HA! I’m the same way, even with my quonset. My wife just shakes her head. I can’t stand to even see a mouse turd out there.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:44 AM

My cooper has never seen a copper coated bullet, nor will it as long as it is mine. It took 500 or so rounds to really settle in and for the next several thousand it seemed to get a bit better. After 4000 or so, it seems to have no change. I clean the rifle but never the barrel, I will never attempt to remove the lead as long as it shoots the same. Its now has about 10,000 through it and shoots better than I do.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
My cooper has never seen a copper coated bullet, nor will it as long as it is mine. It took 500 or so rounds to really settle in and for the next several thousand it seemed to get a bit better. After 4000 or so, it seems to have no change. I clean the rifle but never the barrel, I will never attempt to remove the lead as long as it shoots the same. Its now has about 10,000 through it and shoots better than I do.
I never use anything but SK or RWS target loads, and I generally only run patches down the bore every fall, before I put my rimfires away until spring. As for my Coopers, the accuracy pretty much stayed the same from new until I sold them. They shot well, but my Anschutz 54s and Fortner, and my Vudoo are a noticeable step up in accuracy.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:38 PM

To clean, I run a run a lead ball down the barrel of all of my 22's after every shot. I do this religiously.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:43 PM

Obviously, running an oil patch down the bore after use makes sense to reduce the potential for rust. Logic suggests that the bore is as susceptible to rust as the outside of the barrel. I think it would be prudent to do a periodic “cleaning” to address any potential carbon build up just forward of the chamber.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:57 PM

I just shot mine and it was grouping about 1.5.
I cleaned it and the group went 1" high and grouped back down to 0.6" .
I'm not sure how many rounds since last cleaning but probably a couple bricks.
I'm thinking now that I should shoot a group at a more regular interval to determine whether a cleaning is needed.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:59 AM

Had my browning 22 lever for over 40 years . never cleaned it . Still can shot a good group .
Old 05-17-2020, 10:10 AM

Gopher guns are different than a precision match rifle.

Depends I guess on what you’re looking for.
Is it metal surface preservation, is it fouling removal?

There are no absolutes