Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
I have gone full circle on this one. Turned my back on it in the early years, cause my dad shot one and praised it, so what could he possible know?
My first big game rifle was the .270 (Oconnor fan), but even it was too "old fashioned". Had to find something different.
Had a long term of "magnumitis" that I'm still not quite over (have serious affection for the .375 HH and the .358 Norma). The recoil doesnt really bother me, just seems a bit overkill!
40 years, and countless new whiz-bang cartridges, and I have come to really appreciate the '06 for what it is. Maybe the most versatile cartridge for all of north america. Moderate recoil, tons of bullet selection for reloading, and factory loads readily available anywhere ammunition is sold. I think I now have 6 or 7 of these old workhorses in the stable. Tough to beat, and I'm finally realizing the maybe my old man new what he was talking about!
Need. Like. Button......

I finally got my hands on an -06 from a fellow AOer a couple of years ago. Although I have several other flavors in the gun safe, the -06 is usually the first one that my hands lift out of there.

My dad had one 30-06 during his time here on earth and I never took the time to appreciate the cartridge or rifle. Didn't really miss it until I went hunting a few years later and had forgotten to unlock the trigger lock on the weapon of choice for that day (yep, that will never happen again) and borrowed a buddy's fathers pump action 30-06. Never shot it that day but didn't mind carrying the rifle either.

On a totally different day, another friend had forgotten his ammo for the new gun he was carrying. We spent a few hours going from store to store looking for the correct ammo before finally finding something that wasn't the same weight but he felt it "would do" in a pinch. He missed an animal and I found out exactly how popular calibers like the 30-06 / 303 / 30-30 are and ammo could be found just about anywhere ammo was sold. It was then that I knew I was going to look into acquiring a 30-06 if nothing more than this scenario.

I only have one rifle for each of the calibers I shoot, but love all of those calibers. They all have their own place and responsibility, but I feel that the 30-06 is in general capable of doing it all IF I do my part. And that's the most important part of this whole post - I need to do my part with each caliber...

But I feel if I forget the ammo (it's been known to happen) that a quick trip to the local Crappy Tire and it's a good chance I'll have ammo to hunt with.

J.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Great cartridges need no hype.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2024, 07:55 AM

30-06 factory ammo is cheaper and always available to buy, or easy to reload. Best calibre I ever owned.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:35 AM

I didn’t know just by carrying a 30-06 it made the horns on the game around you grow from its magnificent aura. I retract my previous comment about the old boring white bread 06 not being exciting compared to the modern cartridges being produced.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:45 AM

Default The 30-06 is alive and well...

My son is a "one gun guy."

Winchester Model 70, All-Weather SS in 30-06....he shoots 165 grain Nosler Partition, for everything.....

The freezer is always full....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 04-01-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:09 AM

I’m offended that the 308win doesn’t get the attention it deserves. Always overshadowed by the 30 06 but still superior!
Old 04-01-2024, 09:24 AM

Come on guys the OP misplaced his 30-06 and we need to help him find it!

Is it behind the couch?

I always find my missing 30-06s behind the couch.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2024, 09:28 AM

My BIL has a safe full of rifles of various calibers from 243 to 375 H&H when we go whitetail hunting he uses Rem 760 30-06 because that’s what works best for him. Spends all summer developing loads then uses the same gun he used when he was a teenager LOL
Old 04-01-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My BIL has a safe full of rifles of various calibers from 243 to 375 H&H when we go whitetail hunting he uses Rem 760 30-06 because that’s what works best for him. Spends all summer developing loads then uses the same gun he used when he was a teenager LOL
I really think this is what it boils down to for many hunters. You hunt with what feels best in the hand.
I have a few rifles but the one that is the go to is my tikka 308 because at the end of the day it fits me and I shoot it better and more confidently than the others.
Taking out a rifle that you shoot lousy with but it’s a 300 win mag and you think that’s what you must have to get the job done, will likely bite you in the arse
Old 04-01-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Come on guys the OP misplaced his 30-06 and we need to help him find it!

Is it behind the couch?

I always find my missing 30-06s behind the couch.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Probably fell in the water under his bridge

The 30-06 remains the North American standard of versatility to which all other cartridges are compared.
Why?
A few reasons:
1. Recoil in the average weight 8.5 pound rifle remains in the range most people can mange.
2. A wide enough selection of bullet weights to satisfy the majority of hunting scenarios here in North America.
3. The heavier bullet weights live in the 2700 fps or lower muzzle velocity, so old school cup/core bullets don’t do a “Patsy Cline.”
4. It’s a surplus service cartridge used mainly by the USA (and others) which solidifies its longevity due to a legacy of firearms thru the CMP, surplus brass, and the old familiarity concept.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 04-01-2024 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
30-06 factory ammo is cheaper and always available to buy, or easy to reload. Best calibre I ever owned.
Two years ago, a friend from Fort McMurray couldn't find 30-06 ammunition anywhere in the city, but he said they had plenty of 6.5CM.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I’m offended that the 308win doesn’t get the attention it deserves. Always overshadowed by the 30 06 but still superior!
Not to derail the 30-06 thread but I agree ^^^ and how I am truly amazed at how efficient the 308 is.

Having gone through all the magnum mania phase early on, and had fun doing it, here we are, back to square one....The good ol' 30-06 and the 308....

Let me say this; in the 30-06's family is its little brother, the 25-06, it is a peppy efficient cartridge....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 04-01-2024 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:18 AM

Shot a BAR 30-06 for years with Nosler 150's. One of the better rifle /ammo combo's i have ever owned.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:59 AM

Guys, TheReal Gunsmith on YouTube is loading his 06 to 3150 fps with 150 gr bullets and ball powder. How is everyone not wanting to own 2 of these laser beams? Lol
But with today’s bullet selection, it really is still a 1 and done hunting rifle.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:56 PM

Yeah I'm a 1 rife, 30-06 guy. Tikka T3 Lite. Butter bolt, shoots straight and will efficiently kill any game at a range I'm comfortable enough to shoot at. Pretty content with it and don't think I'll ever seek out anything else for big game hunting.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Two years ago, a friend from Fort McMurray couldn't find 30-06 ammunition anywhere in the city, but he said they had plenty of 6.5CM.
Probably because some people came in from a Rez and bought it all. CT and Chow's normally have cases of it
Cat
Old 04-01-2024, 03:29 PM

3006 a is fine cartridge ,wouldn't be afraid to hunt anything with it.Can you imagine the amount of game taken world wide in a 116 years and still going strong . Not my favorite ,but just because I like another cartridge doesn't make it not good .

We all like different flavors ,so pick your flavor and hunt well with it,All good .
Old 04-01-2024, 04:21 PM

It's just boring
Shoots anything from 100 to 220
Tons of brass and projectiles, many potential powders available
Has been used to shoot pretty much anything on legs on the globe (and some marine mammals too)
Just not cool and definitely not new.
I have two - don't see much need to change - I kinda thought I should have traded them for a 25-06 and 300 WM but I haven't managed to figure out why I would do that.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
I have gone full circle on this one. Turned my back on it in the early years, cause my dad shot one and praised it, so what could he possible know?
My first big game rifle was the .270 (Oconnor fan), but even it was too "old fashioned". Had to find something different.
Had a long term of "magnumitis" that I'm still not quite over (have serious affection for the .375 HH and the .358 Norma). The recoil doesnt really bother me, just seems a bit overkill!
40 years, and countless new whiz-bang cartridges, and I have come to really appreciate the '06 for what it is. Maybe the most versatile cartridge for all of north america. Moderate recoil, tons of bullet selection for reloading, and factory loads readily available anywhere ammunition is sold. I think I now have 6 or 7 of these old workhorses in the stable. Tough to beat, and I'm finally realizing the maybe my old man new what he was talking about!
I tried to out do my elders as well. Eventually found out they were right about everything
Old 04-01-2024, 09:22 PM

Default Purpose

My answer to the question when it comes to rifle cartridges is always what is the purpose of the rifle? The 30-06 is a fine hunting cartridge. I dont think I would want to shoot an F-Class open match with one, but a fine marksman would likely do well enough with it. Just as you wouldnt drive a BMW into the pasture to check on cows, picking the right cartridge for your application is just as important.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:51 AM

It’s still going strong just doesn’t get the articles written about it, probably half the guys I know and hunt with use one every year and that’s from a good representation of younger and older hunters as well.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
You'd possibly have a point, provided you are talking about a rifle with an actual short action. As true short actions become rarer on current production rifles, to my mind the short action rounds are becoming more obsolete than the 06'.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:54 AM

Quote:
That in itself speaks to the popularity of the cartridge, been around for over 100 years and still does everything asked of it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
That in itself speaks to the popularity of the cartridge, been around for over 100 years and still does everything asked of it.
That is one way to look at it, the other way to look at it, is that the manufacturers reduced production of 30-06 ammunition, to produce more ammunition for the more trendy cartridges like the 6.5CM.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:53 AM

My first hunting rifle after the mandatory Lee Enfield phase we all go through was in 30-06. I went as heavy as 375 H&H and light as 7mm-08. They're all good, but I'm back to the 06 - I like it.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
That is one way to look at it, the other way to look at it, is that the manufacturers reduced production of 30-06 ammunition, to produce more ammunition for the more trendy cartridges like the 6.5CM.
They manufacture for what sells. If you can’t find 30-06 ammo locally it’s because you aren’t looking very hard or they were looking at a time when you couldn’t buy toilet paper either

-Billy Molls
Old 04-02-2024, 08:31 AM

Most inexperienced new shooters don’t want to be the guy ordering vanilla in an ice cream shop with 100 flavours they want that whiz bang cartridge that kills out to a 1000 yards, after gaining some actual field experience most find what’s comfortable for them to shoot.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
They manufacture for what sells. If you can’t find 30-06 ammo locally it’s because you aren’t looking very hard or they were looking at a time when you couldn’t buy toilet paper either
Fort McMurray has a very limited number of vendors that sell ammunition, so it doesn't take much effort to check the vendors. And the toilet paper shortage was well past by then. Lol The point is, that 30-06 isn't guaranteed to be available, and cartridges like the 6.5CM seem to be just as easy, if not easier to find in the last few years.

This is from 2022 The 6.5CM seems to have become the most popular selling big game cartridge today.

https://backfire.tv/popular-cartridges/

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-02-2024 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:45 AM

I enjoy using my Tikka 30-06. As a relatively new hunter (<10 years), I bought it primarily for its versatility and the availability of ammunition. These are also pretty much the same reasons I put my son on a 6.5 CM (gasp).

As I shoot more and and really enjoy the sport, I find myself eyeing up more specialized cartridges, but when you run ballistics against the '06, its hard to justify another rifle. It really is one of the most versatile rounds out there. I've been shooting some 178 ELDX lately, and I look forward to reloading some rounds to dial them in. I'm not ready to shoot at animals outside the range of these bullets, for me getting there (closer) is half the fun.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:19 AM

Its no big deal to get a 30/06 with cast bullets to keep all shots within a two inch circle at 200 yards.
Makes a great rig for offhand target practice at silhouette.
Cheap to shoot, doesn't wear out your gun, doesn't heat up so much so you can keep shooting on a hot summer day.