Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Canadians supporting Trump...... careful what you wish for..

Gonna hurt the lumber industry, textile industry, beef industry, auto industry....and a few others....

Yes... Let's hope the EU free trade deal and a future deal with China will soften the blow......
But until those trade connections happen.... WE are all gonna suffer.

I'm not sure if our Oil Industry is gonna be better off.

Our economy is going to face a big disruption.
Agree, tougher times ahead.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Trade between EU and USA. 100% Tariff on motorcycles KTM, vs Hormone Beef??

http://www.cyclenews.com/2017/01/art...trade-dispute/
Well thankfully KTM has other markets than the USA cuz with tariffs like that they'll never sell another bike in the US.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Well thankfully KTM has other markets than the USA cuz with tariffs like that they'll never sell another bike in the US.
True. 100% more? I see victory motorcycles closing doors 2017. Now the market changing. Maybe HD back in Dirt Bike business (1978 HD MX). http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-b...davidson-mx-25

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfog...rcycles/print/

Sent from my iPad

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-19-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
True. 100% more? I see victory motorcycles closing doors 2017. Now the market changing. Maybe HD back in Dirt Bike business (1978 HD MX). http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-b...davidson-mx-25

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfog...rcycles/print/

Sent from my iPad
Polaris may be closing down the Victory line but they are keeping the Indian brand from what I understand
Cat
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Polaris may be closing down the Victory line but they are keeping the Indian brand from what I understand
Cat
That is correct. They are phasing out Victory to focus on Indian.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:21 PM

MoneyTalk

https://youtu.be/XDngSrvHM0g
Old 01-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Just when things were starting to turn around Everyone that woks in the Canadian oil patch just got a good taste of what it's like to get the rules changed overnight......you've been trumped!!!!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Banned

Meh, you worry too much. Trump has a hard on for Mexico not Canada. Besides, he`s crazy and the CIA will kill him in 6 months or so. At least they can control Pence. I predict Trump won`t be Prez for long. "Heart attack,"food poisoning"," Car accident", Slip and fall"...
Many ways to make a lunatic go away. Won`t last one year.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Meh, you worry too much. Trump has a hard on for Mexico not Canada. Besides, he`s crazy and the CIA will kill him in 6 months or so. At least they can control Pence. I predict Trump won`t be Prez for long. "Heart attack,"food poisoning"," Car accident", Slip and fall"...
I guess the world can hope........but 6 months !!!!! Could you imagine what would happen to the economy in 6 months. Oil production in this country could virtually stop overnight. If he follows through with his twitter thoughts the US rigs will be booming with equipment they bought for pennies on the dollar from Canada.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd bet you on that but then you'd never be able to move out of your mothers basement.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Old 01-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
I'd bet you on that but then you'd never be able to move out of your mothers basement.
If I lived there she would be around 110 years old now. Just watched part of Trumps speech and fireworks. He`s got the marine band playing Glory Hallelua, His truth goes marching On. Kinda like the 1930`s again.
That guy scares sh.t out of me. Nothing good can come of his Reich.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
If I lived there she would be around 110 years old now. Just watched part of Trumps speech and fireworks. He`s got the marine band playing Glory Hallelua, His truth goes marching On. Kinda like the 1930`s again.
That guy scares sh.t out of me. Nothing good can come of his Reich.
Oh ok ,then the only other explanation would be that your crystal ball is broken and probably has been for a while.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh ok ,then the only other explanation would be that your crystal ball is broken and probably has been for a while.
So, Stringer is a trumpy.
I`m watching CNN and NBC and every one is relieved that he didn't lose it on stage for once. They are "cautiously optimistic that he MAY be good for the country. It`s like watching a third world countries press say nice things(try to) so they don`t **** him off because they are stuck with him for the duration.
I`d feel better if Charlie Sheen got elected. At least he`s funny.
You are funny too String. In a third grade sort of way. Pay attention and see how reality T.V. fits with ultimate world power. Guy ain`t got a clue.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:51 PM

Default So stringer....

Quote:
Are you an Albertan?

Do you think Trump is going to be good for our province?

It sounds like we're in for a full on Nafta shafting....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Are you an Albertan?

Yup there could be a lot of gaping mouths in the EI lineup once Trump gets in.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle33677222/
Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, Stringer is a trumpy.
I`m watching CNN and NBC and every one is relieved that he didn't lose it on stage for once. They are "cautiously optimistic that he MAY be good for the country. It`s like watching a third world countries press say nice things(try to) so they don`t **** him off because they are stuck with him for the duration.
I`d feel better if Charlie Sheen got elected. At least he`s funny.
You are funny too String. In a third grade sort of way. Pay attention and see how reality T.V. fits with ultimate world power. Guy ain`t got a clue.
On second thought seems like something else is broken .
Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you an Albertan?

Yes I'm Albertan.
Don't know what PEOTUS plans to do but I'm not going to worry about it and get all worked up about what might possibly happen or not happen.
He has stated the he will go ahead with the keystone pipeline so that's good news for Alberta ,No ?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm Albertan.
Don't know what PEOTUS plans to do but I'm not going to worry about it and get all worked up about what might possibly happen or not happen.
He has stated the he will go ahead with the keystone pipeline so that's good news for Alberta ,No ?
Waste of money if Canadian oil is taxed so as to be noncompetitive in price. They will just produce more of their own.

Last edited by Scott h; 01-19-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Waste of money if Canadian oil is taxed so as to be noncompetitive in price. They will just produce more of their own.
IF is a big word
Must be a horrible life worrying about things you have no control over.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
IF is a big word
Must be a horrible life worrying about things you have no control over.
Not really , I'm usually pretty happy in life to tell you the truth. Trump knocking out Canadian oil won't hurt a single pay cheque for me, but I do find it a pointless exercise voting in a classless idiot like him just long enough to screw over a ton of people.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Not really , I'm usually pretty happy in life to tell you the truth. Trump knocking out Canadian oil won't hurt a single pay cheque for me,.......:
You may call it a pay cheque, but truth is that Welfare isn't considered a pay cheque.

Otherwise, decreased govt revenues means increased debt and taxes.
AND that does hurt real pay cheques.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:05 AM

Interesting discussion, I don't want to interrupt the topic or opinions posted.

When reading the word NAFTA posted it reminded me of when it (NAFTA) was
first known to me, if I remember correctly it was in 8th grade 1974 ?
I can't say for sure but I think was a free trade agreement only between the
US, CA and Mexico under the current president that year and leaders of CA and
Mexico.

Later under another president, I seem to remember for some reason the NAFTA
law was amended and created a "loop hole" in the lawyer speak that allowed
other countries outside the US and CA and Mexico to be included in the free
trade agreement. A grey area was created. For some reason I seem to remember
Bill Clinton was president at this time, not positive but seem to remember it
this way. Was like a closed doors kind of thing the way I remember, found
out about the meaning of the words in the amendment after the amendment was passed.

Anyway the word NAFTA posted here reminded me of that and thought I'ld
put this out there, I could be wrong in recollecting I'm getting old but seem
to still recall it that way.

I think the original draft of the free trade agreement was a great thing.
Wish it had be left alone.

In later years the EU came about, I thought that was ok and was a kind of
counter balance to NAFTA, that's fine.

If the original NAFTA agreement had remained unchanged maybe we would
be doing a whole lot better and the EU might not have experianced the
setbacks they have felt in the last few years.

And people in the US and CA and Mexico might have all been whole lot more
happier and productive that we all have been in a long time.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 01-20-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not really , I'm usually pretty happy in life to tell you the truth. Trump knocking out Canadian oil won't hurt a single pay cheque for me, but I do find it a pointless exercise voting in a classless idiot like him just long enough to screw over a ton of people.
Given your location, your comment is not surprising.

Oil is not just an Alberta thing. It is a significant part of the Canadian economy that all Canadians benefit from.

FYI Alberta gave $200 billion in equalization payments between 2000 and 2014. Mind you I would guess it wasn't given, but rather pilfered by Ottawa.

Last edited by Newview01; 01-20-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 AM

I'm not sure on the Asian trade thing... What do we really need from them that benefits the everyday guy? They need our resources, but we can make our own products here at home and keep our people employed. Sorta like support the Canadian economy instead of the Asian?

Quote:
You are right but we've been doing business with the US for a lot of years and done alright. Trump may be a game changer in that respect and it seems pointless to even consider keystone at this point.
Getting increased trade with Europe and Asian countries will probably be more important than ever in the next 4 years. Ontario is scared for their auto industry and Alberta for oil and BC for softwood.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Given your location, your comment is not surprising.

Oil is not just an Alberta thing. It is a significant part of the Canadian economy that all Canadians benefit from.

FYI Alberta gave $200 billion in equalization payments between 2000 and 2014. Mind you I would guess it wasn't given, but rather pilfered by Ottawa.
Oh don't go by that current address (and I do agree with you). I have always been against the current equalization formula and have always been VERY vocal about how Alberta has gotten the short end of the stick for decades.
If trade agreements get changed so as to make the importation to the US of Canadian oil uneconomical then they will VERY QUICKLY wean themselves off Canadian oil and invest in more US oil. Simple as that. And as of right now (and for the foreseeable future) there is no other buyer for Alberta oil.
All Trump has to do is tweet about it in the middle of the night and investment dollars will dry up. Boom. Thousands out of work. Why would companies invest in Alberta when they know he has the ability (and short sight) to make a planned project uneconomical overnight. These projects are long term affairs and need certain stability or they don't get started.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 PM

I would almost guarantee there won't be a quick tax on oil. US is still a big NET oil importer to the tune of 5 million bbl/d. They are certainly not going to ramp up their homegrown oil industry by another 5 million bbls/d overnight and any tax will hit their own industry and people directly. I suspect their main targets are going to be things where they are net importers. Things like cars and electronics.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 PM

People need to understand that it is not Donald Trump's job to worry about Canada; we have a leader of our own who is supposed to do that. If someone told Donald Trump that he could protect the jobs of 30,000 people in Alberta Canada, or he could open up 30,000 well-paying jobs within the Oil Industry in Texas or Alaska, what do you feel his position should be?

If someone suggested to Justin Trudeau that he could possibly ruin the Canadian Economy by not opening up pipelines to World markets (which may or may not have an impact on Global air quality), what should his position be? Should it be to protect and secure the future jobs for Canadians, or should he travel to the Middle East and other third world nations and promise to help with worldly environmental concerns and give away the wealth that Canadian Citizens worked hard for?

Every Country should elect leaders who have their own best interests in mind.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh don't go by that current address (and I do agree with you). I have always been against the current equalization formula and have always been VERY vocal about how Alberta has gotten the short end of the stick for decades.
If trade agreements get changed so as to make the importation to the US of Canadian oil uneconomical then they will VERY QUICKLY wean themselves off Canadian oil and invest in more US oil. Simple as that. And as of right now (and for the foreseeable future) there is no other buyer for Alberta oil.
All Trump has to do is tweet about it in the middle of the night and investment dollars will dry up. Boom. Thousands out of work. Why would companies invest in Alberta when they know he has the ability (and short sight) to make a planned project uneconomical overnight. These projects are long term affairs and need certain stability or they don't get started.
What do you care? Your paycheque doesn't depend on it.

My point is not so much that we might lose the American market, but we need pipelines in place to get to other markets. After all, oil is our industry at this moment and we need it to thrive if we want investment $ for other industries.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What do you care? Your paycheque doesn't depend on it.

My point is not so much that we might lose the American market, but we need pipelines in place to get to other markets. After all, oil is our industry at this moment and we need it to thrive if we want investment $ for other industries.
You are right again. As long as Canadians smoke, drink and don't exercise enough I have a very protected pay check
I just find it surprising that people are THANKFUL that our largest trading partner (built up over many decades) has voted in someone that is essentially saying that they will tear up long standing agreements that had enabled the oil industry to develop. This has nothing to do with getting oil to tidewater (that should be done also). How many years do you think it will take before enough pipeline is laid to the east and west coast to replace what the US currently buys !!!!