Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Best answer I've got to the age-old question of "Where did you get it"?

"Right through the boiler room...". And then keep your yap shut.

My hunting buddies know that I can't say where I hunt with them.... Just not in my nature.

And for Petes sake! Learn to strip off the damn GPS info from any cell phone pictures prior to uploading them! There are ways...

J.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post

in the state of Maine they have 7000000 hunters that have 9 days too hunt

you guys are funny

David
Note: Maine only has 1.3 million people, rifle season is 26 days. There are about 160,000 hunting licences sold.. You funny.

Anyway as far as giving out information it depends. For someone like you Speckle who likes to take other hunters out to some general area and drive around and shoot stuff or check out and sit on a cutline or cutblock that's fine or tell/take them what lake to go to catch some fish, your not giving up anything that isn't common knowledge. I'll tell people to go hunt south of Hinton or Edson in this area, or fish for cutthroat at Muskiki, brook trout and rainbows at Maligne, brown trout in Obed lake. I'll tell someone to go to this area or that area for this or that, or that there are quite a few deer at some general area. But as far as telling someone about the spot I have selected and worked hard to find where |I'm hunting a particular big buck with double drop tines I'm trying to put a tag on, or hiking up a little known tiny creek with a remote beaver pond that produces 5 pound brown trout where I have never seen a boot track, or backpacking into a sheep basin where I know a big ram or elk likes to frequent I will not tell anybody but the most trusted. I have learned. I don't see you doing any of those things, and if you did I think you might be a little more hesitant to put those on the internet. All I see you giving out is stuff everybody already knows and taking people to places everybody else goes.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:16 AM

I've met some pretty good people from posts on AO , have yet to have a problem with them over running my hunting grounds. Putting out wmu's would obviously not be smart but talking in PM's to individuals I think is fine.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:55 AM

I've hunted with some quality people over the years.... and in that time I've been invited to a couple of their 'honey holes' .... one for pheasant.... another for Elk..... even a spot that had 5 bull moose just waiting to be shot....several for monster trout.

I do not go to these places by myself or with other buddies, unless the person who took me there says it's ok (I don't ask either)... it's an implied thing about respect.... also cause I've hung out with Sheep hunters (this is pretty much a Code with them).

That's just what I've developed... I now know that others don't subscribe to such... and I've had spots get 'over run' with buddy's buddy's work associates... winding up in my spots ( spots where you gotta put your in some serious work to get to or figure out... trust me).

Speckle... I respect your posts and what you do for sportsman. But your sharing (from what I can tell) is pretty high population common critters (whitefish...bunnies.. ruffles). The hunting experience for these critters isn't going to be seriously impacted by increased users (... I hope).

You start giving sheep, elk, moose, or high concentration bull trout locations.... then well... maybe you can call us out as selfish trolls.

I point out good holes on the Crow, OMR, and Castle to city newbies all the time.... heck I even give flies away to people on the river. But good luck getting me to show you where the hole full of Walter sized cutties are on Frenchman creek.... or where the Bull hole where 'Jaws' the killer Bulltrout lives. I've taken people out for deer, drawn maps for turkies, and I just took out a guy for cow elk.... but there's a lot of spots I just won't share anymore and I'm now VERY selective about who I give away hunting spots to.

Sometimes hunting spots and fishing spots are special because they are wild, they produce, and one can get a solitary hunt kinda feeling there. These places can't be these places with so many others accessing and using it. It's a simple as that.

Equally important is what seems to be 'earning' the quarry and the spot... and the access'. I think hunting and fishing for big critters or rarer species requires something more than just pulling the trigger or being guided to the spot. There really IS a deep satisfaction to be had in solving the nature puzzle presented by your quarry.

My first mount is a 130 whitetail deer. It's not big, but it represents about 7 years of hunting an area I discovered and slowly understanding how the bigger critters use the land at certain times ..... then teaching my 7 year old daughter (at the time) how to track, still hunt, play the wind, use the terrain, and glass in the bush.

There's a journey here as well as a destination...... and I think MOST newer hunters and fishermen fail to grasp that.

Sorry for the long post.

I hope newer hunters read this and come away from it better hunters.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Thank you, BESSIEDOG, for your eloquence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I've hunted with some quality people over the years.... and in that time I've been invited to a couple of their 'honey holes' .... one for pheasant.... another for Elk..... even a spot that had 5 bull moose just waiting to be shot....several for monster trout.

I do not go to these places by myself or with other buddies, unless the person who took me there says it's ok (I don't ask either)... it's an implied thing about respect.... also cause I've hung out with Sheep hunters (this is pretty much a Code with them).

That's just what I've developed... I now know that others don't subscribe to such... and I've had spots get 'over run' with buddy's buddy's work associates... winding up in my spots ( spots where you gotta put your in some serious work to get to or figure out... trust me).

Speckle... I respect your posts and what you do for sportsman. But your sharing (from what I can tell) is pretty high population common critters (whitefish...bunnies.. ruffles). The hunting experience for these critters isn't going to be seriously impacted by increased users (... I hope).

You start giving sheep, elk, moose, or high concentration bull trout locations.... then well... maybe you can call us out as selfish trolls.

I point out good holes on the Crow, OMR, and Castle to city newbies all the time.... heck I even give flies away to people on the river. But good luck getting me to show you where the hole full of Walter sized cutties are on Frenchman creek.... or where the Bull hole where 'Jaws' the killer Bulltrout lives. I've taken people out for deer, drawn maps for turkies, and I just took out a guy for cow elk.... but there's a lot of spots I just won't share anymore and I'm now VERY selective about who I give away hunting spots to.

Sometimes hunting spots and fishing spots are special because they are wild, they produce, and one can get a solitary hunt kinda feeling there. These places can't be these places with so many others accessing and using it. It's a simple as that.

Equally important is what seems to be 'earning' the quarry and the spot... and the access'. I think hunting and fishing for big critters or rarer species requires something more than just pulling the trigger or being guided to the spot. There really IS a deep satisfaction to be had in solving the nature puzzle presented by your quarry.

My first mount is a 130 whitetail deer. It's not big, but it represents about 7 years of hunting an area I discovered and slowly understanding how the bigger critters use the land at certain times ..... then teaching my 7 year old daughter (at the time) how to track, still hunt, play the wind, use the terrain, and glass in the bush.

There's a journey here as well as a destination...... and I think MOST newer hunters and fishermen fail to grasp that.

Sorry for the long post.

This entire post is fantastic, but the section I have put in bold really sums up my own personal opinion / hope / expectations. As a total newbie to shooting and not yet a hunter, what I look for on fora like this, and want from an experienced mentor, is NOT the GPS coordinates of a bunch of large game animals so that I can just go out, fire off a round, collect the meat, and believe that I am now a "HUNTER". A game farm might be a better choice for me if that was what I was after, or just a stop at a butcher shop after a few comfortable hours at the range...

Personally, I want to learn what to look for in any area to determine what the game level might be, how to figure out what the animals habits are, how to decide what level of hunting pressure the local population could survive... you know - how to HUNT. I generally loathe people, but besides that, I want to be in an area with few humans for both the wilderness factor and for basic safety.

As for the folks who do choose to publish the coordinates on social media or other areas - well, they do me the favour of telling me where NOT to go.

Kudos and thanks to those of you who mentor us newbies, and who know how to pass on skills and knowledge while still protecting what few wild and isolated areas still exist...
Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Some people take years to gain permission or figure out honey holes for animals. I'm sure you can understand why people are reluctant to share a good spot when it takes 5 years + to harvest a quality animal.
Affirmative on that. I have spent the better part of my life hunting back east and most here couldn't even imagine how some areas are assaulted every fall. Even large tracts of 'private' land (within family) are molested to the point I wouldn't bother to set foot on the acreage. You remove 2 trespassers and 3 more show up that day.

Some of the most genuine and generous individuals I have ever met are in this province, we are blessed here in Alberta. It will be a ways off for my experience to be commonplace but I would heed the poster above - advice is spot on.

As for the guys who give out their locations and even private land location - good on you, it’s not what I would do but I know not all requesting the info are slobs and abusers.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog

Sorry for the long post.

This entire post is fantastic, but the section I have put in bold really sums up my own personal opinion / hope / expectations. As a total newbie to shooting and not yet a hunter, what I look for on fora like this, and want from an experienced mentor, is NOT the GPS coordinates of a bunch of large game animals so that I can just go out, fire off a round, collect the meat, and believe that I am now a "HUNTER". A game farm might be a better choice for me if that was what I was after, or just a stop at a butcher shop after a few comfortable hours at the range...

Personally, I want to learn what to look for in any area to determine what the game level might be, how to figure out what the animals habits are, how to decide what level of hunting pressure the local population could survive... you know - how to HUNT. I generally loathe people, but besides that, I want to be in an area with few humans for both the wilderness factor and for basic safety.

As for the folks who do choose to publish the coordinates on social media or other areas - well, they do me the favour of telling me where NOT to go.

Kudos and thanks to those of you who mentor us newbies, and who know how to pass on skills and knowledge while still protecting what few wild and isolated areas still exist... "

Two great Posts !!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:32 PM

It's all great and stuff, but I do not think anyone here is asking anyone to share their sweet spots and such. Pretty sure everyone knows that no one, including myself, will provide that info. Most people I think are simply looking for tips, the right direction; at least I hope that's what they are asking. I do not mind sharing any of that at all.

And yes, it is weird when a guy asks for GPS coordinates of where a bison was last seen. Or a new guy with his very first post asking where the elk is in WMU 522.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:16 PM

not sure whats the problem is and truly don't care {tell people don't tell people } why make things bigger than they are There is plenty of game to go around Just saying
Old 01-15-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
not sure whats the problem is and truly don't care {tell people don't tell people } why make things bigger than they are There is plenty of game to go around Just saying
Plenty of game to go around ? I'm not bashing, just questioning your last statement.
If what you state is really the case, why are all the restrictions ( draws, limited entries, long wait times etc in place these days? I can't help but think that you are missing something.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:52 PM

This is an issue that obviously divides hunters, and is a fun conversation since my sharing my info doesn't interfere with those who guard their intel carefully.

I take about 5 first time hunters out per year so I am pretty committed to showing them where the access is. It's part of my job with them to teach access, and that includes talking to landowners.

But I have one spot I absolutely will not take people to. It's known to a few hunters, but it's a pain in the neck to hike to and unless you want the landowner to come and get it with a quad, it's an unpleasant haul out. Consequently, there are often big bucks around and few hunters since the easy access is just a mile away - and busy.

So when I take new hunters on private land, I am not too worried since I suspect most of them will never make the effort to call for permission. It's sad.

So although I never thought I'd keep my best spots secret, I have started to - it keeps those who don't ask for permission and others I don't care to see, away.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Spot burning!!

Spot burning on social media,seen it a thousand times,especially on the fishing forums,and as someone posted earlier,"I just cringe" when I see one of my favourite hunt/fish locales outed on the interweb,knowing that some possibly well intentioned but naive blabbermouth just invited a 10 fold increae in pressure.Often as not I think some of these "tell-all" types are looking for some sort of validation....as in,"listen to me,I'm an awesome hunter/angler and I know great spots blah blah blah.....how about just stfu and keep your great spots tight to your vest,or in a year or two you'll be looking for your next new honey holes.
Not a chance in hell you'll see me divulging hard earned info on social media,and I've learned the hard way to even be cautious with which "friends" you share,because they tell 2 friends,and they tell two friends......
I've spent too many thousands of dollars on gas and sweat and boot leather chasing rumours and goose chases and finding my own honey holes to just give them up to any and every Generation Instant Gratification neophyte with a smart phone that asks.....that's what Hunting and Fishing guides are for,get off your wallet.
FWIW,I'm also a guide and refuse to guide resident hunters,because next year they're camped in your spots with family and friends.....learnt lesson the hard way,never again.

Last edited by West O'5; 01-15-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:14 PM

I have no issues with sharing the occasional fishing spot with people but I play my honey holes close to my chest. Yes I've been burned a time or two but I've helped more good people than bad and the reward of seeing someone who has struggled to catch fish who then succeeds from my help is more rewarding to me than catching limits of fish over and over again.

Hunting on the other hand is another thing. With out fail every September my inbox fills with people wanting to hunt with me and most are looking for the easy harvest. The inevitable "I don't have duck decoys or calls but want to hunt Frank Lake with you" request flow freely and most just get deleted. Unwilling to spend the time and gas money scouting and asking permission I find these type of "hunters" to be aggravating. That being said I will from time to time take a new hunter out "on public land" and introduce them to the sport because in the end our next generation needs to be educated as we were.

Social media can play a valuable role but only if used in the right context. I wouldn't have had half the success this season with whites had it not been for Speckles' and Zips posts. I didn't PM them "hey where the fish at?" instead I read what they have to offer and formulated my own tactics from there. Information they were kind enough to share was something I probably would not have gained had it not been for this forum. That is the value I feel social media brings to our sport.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
I have no issues with sharing the occasional fishing spot with people but I play my honey holes close to my chest. Yes I've been burned a time or two but I've helped more good people than bad and the reward of seeing someone who has struggled to catch fish who then succeeds from my help is more rewarding to me than catching limits of fish over and over again.

Hunting on the other hand is another thing. With out fail every September my inbox fills with people wanting to hunt with me and most are looking for the easy harvest. The inevitable "I don't have duck decoys or calls but want to hunt Frank Lake with you" request flow freely and most just get deleted. Unwilling to spend the time and gas money scouting and asking permission I find these type of "hunters" to be aggravating. That being said I will from time to time take a new hunter out "on public land" and introduce them to the sport because in the end our next generation needs to be educated as we were.

Social media can play a valuable role but only if used in the right context. I wouldn't have had half the success this season with whites had it not been for Speckles' and Zips posts. I didn't PM them "hey where the fish at?" instead I read what they have to offer and formulated my own tactics from there. Information they were kind enough to share was something I probably would not have gained had it not been for this forum. That is the value I feel social media brings to our sport.
Great post,I agree,I've learned tons myself from reading forums,and happy to help with sharing general info,experience,tactics and methods etc.....just NEVER actual locations.

That said.....I hear Saddle Hills is fantastic for elk hunting!

Last edited by West O'5; 01-15-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
its not about hate ... you should re read your own post ...it's about sustainability ...
It's about some people's desperation for success, and cutting corners to do so.

Don't hate people because they seek better areas to hunt.

Don't hate or belittle people because their life experience differs from your own.

Seasoned hunters are often the ones that work the hardest, and in turn, have the most success. Sharing information online can lead people to look for an easy score.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:08 PM

Last edited by Rio56; 01-15-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:27 PM

Silence is your freind!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:05 PM

When I am out fishing or hunting I will help others. Even giving some bait or jigs as well as depth, locations or types of structure. They are out there already and I am happy to help them out.

I will not help on a message board with locations on or the name of the water body. Never!

But I will gladly help on line with suggestions on "how to" or "what to use for" and equipment too.

Nothing will harm our resources(fish and game) more than online information/internet/message boards!

My wish is that AO would discourage/ban name dropping on the board.
It is not needed to know which lake someone caught something on and applies to hunting as well.

Not sure we would ever see that though, but it would be better for the hunting and fishing community.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
When I am out fishing or hunting I will help others. Even giving some bait or jigs as well as depth, locations or types of structure. They are out there already and I am happy to help them out.

I will not help on a message board with locations on or the name of the water body. Never!

But I will gladly help on line with suggestions on "how to" or "what to use for" and equipment too.

Nothing will harm our resources(fish and game) more than online information/internet/message boards!

My wish is that AO would discourage/ban name dropping on the board.
It is not needed to know which lake someone caught something on and applies to hunting as well.

Not sure we would ever see that though, but it would be better for the hunting and fishing community.
Exactly right. This forum should share tips on how to hunt better, but for fairness to the animals, the current location of animals should be left wild just like they are. How much technology do we collectively provide eachother to be better than the animals before it becomes a target shoot without hunting skills. If you cant recognize scat and tracks and other sign, you shouldnt be able to cut the corner and bypass that learning step.

If you want to know which wmu has more animals, checkout the yearly harvest reports. Then go scouting for sign and requesting permission.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:52 PM

I couldn't agree more!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:18 PM

it was a miss quote ..should of been 700000 n Wis..and not Maine these are the numbers per state

the point was that we don't even have high numbers and you guys are complaining about giving out info

their rifle deer season is 9 days in some states and they are small compared to Alberta

oh its 14000000 million hunters state side

Alberta Fish and Game puts on where these animals were shot..
http://afga.org/wildlife-awards.html

Relm tell you how many hunters hunt a zone on draws

Wainwright numbers and maps showing where are kills ...available

http://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/...vest/94604742/

https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpage...ry20042015.pdf

David

Ps I will tell you where there is 700 plus sheep in less than 10 square miles but hey everyone already told everyone ... lmao.. n over 200 plus Rams but then that info is available on the internet .. with GPS coordinates

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I call BS... The entire State only has 1.3 million people in it.

And the deer season in Maine: Maine Residents Only: October 29, 2016 - November 26, 2016 / All Hunters: October 31- November 26, 2016

Moose: Sept 25 -Nov 25/2017

Last edited by Speckle55; 01-15-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 PM

Telling or showing guys where my hunting spots are is like breeding cats...within a year theres 25 of them there Thats why I only take neutered hunters out now
Old 01-15-2017, 08:55 PM

Lmao

just like my rabbits out here ..good luck ...53°19′09″N 117°45′12″W

In the wild rabbits are not constrained like a domestic herd and breed pretty much right back so long as there is an alpha buck near by. Cottontails typically have litters of 6-10 about 6-7 times a year. Given a 50% mortality rate a breeding pair of rabbits can easily grow to to 50 in just one year. Repeat that for just 2 years and you have over 30000 rabbits provided there is food and shelter enough to support them.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Telling or showing guys where my hunting spots are is like breeding cats...within a year theres 25 of them there Thats why I only take neutered hunters out now
Old 01-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Lmao

just like my rabbits out here ..good luck ...53°19′09″N 117°45′12″W

In the wild rabbits are not constrained like a domestic herd and breed pretty much right back so long as there is an alpha buck near by. Cottontails typically have litters of 6-10 about 6-7 times a year. Given a 50% mortality rate a breeding pair of rabbits can easily grow to to 50 in just one year. Repeat that for just 2 years and you have over 30000 rabbits provided there is food and shelter enough to support them.

David
We have snowshoe hares they may breed up to 4 times a year averaging 2 to 4 young. up to 8 have been recorded in a litter but very rare to have that many. Not as prolific as cottontails which don't exist in Alberta, at least in the wild..

Last edited by Bushrat; 01-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Lake Whitefish lived to may be 20 years till this year

33 years Old ...Jarvis Lake ... Switzer Park

what we are told and the truth are changing all the time

never assume any thing... scientific knowledge is changing as we speak

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
We have snowshoe hares they may breed up to 4 times a year averaging 2 to 4 young. up to 8 have been recorded in a litter but very rare to have that many. Not as prolific as cottontails which don't exist in Alberta, at least in the wild..

Last edited by Speckle55; 01-15-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Says it all. ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54433247.jpg (113.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 PM

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...ottontail.aspx

David

Quote:
Old 01-15-2017, 10:06 PM

Default Im with Rio56

If you want to know where your target species is why should someone who knows how to hunt and has put in the work to find their quarry by learning their habits and burnt hundreds of dollars of fuel and wore out pair after pair of hunting boots just to have someone ask and be told where lets say the elk or moose are and then someone who doesnt want to put the time and effort in gets told their exact patterns ans goes in and kills the monster bull you put your blood sweat and tears in locating, that would make me some kind of livid if its a close friend or family member its diff but if its some random i say tell them to politly find them their selves, thats like posting your favorite jumbo perch hole go back in a week and all the jumbos are gone secret big game hunting spots would be decimated and it would be not good at all for the populations of animals whonalready hsave to deal with out of control wolf packs and the exploding mountain lion populations that are wreaking havoc on the wildlife and the livestock, i talked to one farmer this year and hevlost his entire foal crop this year to lions a total of 12 foals thats alot of cash turned into lion **** and it drives me nuts if you ask me so if i get asked by someone looking for a pack of wolves thats an exception ill make
Old 01-15-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Actually cottontails exist in AB.
The Mountain cottontail exists in the grassland region in coulees and river bottoms. Also in the Cyprus Hills as well.
Remember hunting them as a kid.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 PM

IMO, social media has nothing on the cell phone. 20 years ago you couldn't make a call.