Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-14-2016, 02:56 PM

Default Trapper's course

How many trapper's think they don't need to take a trapper's course and learn new thing.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Banned

Sounds just like a question thought up by a politician.
Any trapper can learn something at any time, whether it is in course form or whatever.. Every day on the line can be a learning experience.
You should get no arguments on a question like that.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Banned

Did you just imply that if someone doesn't think that they need to take the basic trapping course that they don't want to learn anything new?
Talk about a loaded question.

The most successful Trappers that I know never had a basic Trappers course. I was fortunate enough to be able to study for and challenge the test and I think that I do pretty good. I studied the manual for two months, stopping to research each and every topic that I wanted to know more about in greater detail and asked a lot of questions online and in person. I would estimate that I put in several hundred hours studying for the test. Compare that to a three day basic Trapper course and it's not hard to determine what training was much more in depth.......so, no, I don't think that I need a basic Trappers course but yes, I am always trying to learn new things and share what I learn with others.

I've had several new Trappers fresh off the basic trapping course in my shed so I have a very good idea of how knowledgeable they are after taking the course.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:39 PM

Wonder if it would have took you all those 100's of hours of study Dave if you had learnt from knowledgeable instructors? And I guess you'll never know as you haven't taken the course.

I came to Alberta with 10 years of experience so was able to get a license but I have taken the course twice. Always pick up new tips, from both instructors and fellow trappers. Personally i believe you learn more in that environment but to each their own.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Wonder if it would have took you all those 100's of hours of study Dave if you had learnt from knowledgeable instructors? And I guess you'll never know as you haven't taken the course.
I don't think that all of the extra study and research hurt me. Challenging the test was a pass or fail and I wanted to make sure that I passed it. With not knowing what was on the test I had to make sure that I knew and understood everything in the manual. I'm curious, has anyone ever failed the mandatory basic trapping course......or is it what we used to call in the Army as an attendance course?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:03 PM

The course consists of the same exam you had to pass Dave. There's no fast tracking that I've ever seen.

Plus in addition there is actual fur handling taking place. You have to admit it's easier to learn how to skin watching someone, and having hands on instruction.

I kind of don't get why a trapper wouldn't want the bar to be reasonably high to get a trapping license?

The other thing Dave is not everyone is a high achiever or good student. By having a mandatory course we ensure a minimum standard out there on the trapline.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

So, no one has ever failed the mandatory basic trapping course then, is that what you are saying?

Based on my experience from having new Trappers in my shed I can tell you with absolute certainty that if putting up fur is covered on the course, not much is retained.

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-14-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 PM

If you think you can't learn something from a course your wrong. Always something to learn. The problem is that forcing a course has it's pros and cons. I am sure there will be a lot of people ( mostly kids) that would love to trap but are not going to be able to have the time or money to do it. Most kids such as I was when I started might catch enough fur to pay for their lunch money.
On the other hand everyone would benefit from being taught the basics. I'd like to see the course taught and paid for by the Gov't for a few different reasons.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 AM

When I challenged the exam like Dave I put enormous hours into the manual and achieved 85% on first try of exam at F & W. The lady in F & W office said most would be trappers that came to write were unprepared and failed the trapper course first time, some even second time. Until they really applied themselves they did not pass.
Lastly the self study of manual and passing exam was an accept qualification for trapper until last year. It should still be recognized today when a trapper has upto 10 years of RFMA or Resident trapline experience.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
When I challenged the exam like Dave I put enormous hours into the manual and achieved 85% on first try of exam at F & W. The lady in F & W office said most would be trappers that came to write were unprepared and failed the trapper course first time, some even second time. Until they really applied themselves they did not pass.
Lastly the self study of manual and passing exam was an accept qualification for trapper until last year. It should still be recognized today when a trapper has upto 10 years of RFMA or Resident trapline experience.
I agree with this as well, it should be reconized same as trades in other fields, a mechanic or plumber for example. if you have passed the test and put in your hrs, you are no less qualified then any one coming out of a trapping course.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:16 PM

If you have an RFMA you already have a license. And with respect it's often the "old dogs" who think they know everything that often have much to learn. This mostly comes down to trapping attracts a certain type of personality that doesn't like to be told anything. Myself included. But step back and look at big picture. If by being educated and certified in humane trapping we are able to continue marketing our fur, and use it as ammunition in trade disputes, why wouldn't you? You can be the best trapper in the world but if there's no market for fur what good is it. I do totally understand the reluctance on the part of some for mandatory training but I'm a carpenter and I wouldn't wanted to have got my ticket by challenging the exam. My boss did that and I was teaching him stuff when I came back from school every year
Old 11-16-2016, 07:34 AM
AO Sponsor

EWWWW!!! Edit!

I forgot our enemies are sitting there reading our every post looking for new ways to attack us.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
EWWWW!!! Edit!

I forgot our enemies are sitting there reading our every post looking for new ways to attack us.
It wasn't the anti's that brought in mandatory trapping courses.....lol.

Our enemies can look all that they want, good luck lobbying against trapping with a government that has a policy of poisoning wolves and shooting them from helicopters. Their anti snaring letter writing campaign this year was a colossal failure and the government ended up telling them that they wouldn't reply to the letters anymore.

IMO using the fear of what anti's can or can't do to justify anything is ridiculous when the anti's are as much at war with the government as they are with trappers. The government and trappers are on the same team.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
On the other hand everyone would benefit from being taught the basics. I'd like to see the course taught and paid for by the Gov't for a few different reasons.
You may be onto something there, Nube. Awhile back I checked what other provinces were doing wrt mandatory basic trapping courses and if they even had them. Alberta is by far the highest costing training of all the provinces (BC is a close second except they charge $399 but $299 for youth).

The 17 hour mandatory course in New Brunswick is conducted by Environmental and Resource Development and here are the costs for attending it:

Fees
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).

Fee Description Rate in $

Course Fee (10-16 years) 40.00
Course Fee (17 years and older) 65.00
Trapper Education Manual 10.00

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/se...ml#serviceFees

I think that their fees are very reasonable and they aren't exclusionary to people who can't afford a $399 course. These are the people that could actually use the extra income from trapping and the ones most desirable to attract IMO, as opposed to trappers that are okay with operating at a loss. If raising the trapping standard is the main objective, why is it so important that the courses generate huge amounts of revenue......the same as what private schools are charging?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM

New poster, long time lurker here..

I took the mandatory 3 day trappers course over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. As a new trapper it helped considerably, especially the handling of traps and safety techniques instructors have used.

Watching a coyote and beaver skinned in person and skinning a muskrat with help from instructors will hopefully set me on the right track with less wasted fur and newbie mistakes. I have always retained my information alot better doing or watching something physically.

Another thing I enjoyed was the stories from the more experienced people who have been in the business and the knowledge they have on the whole operation. .. $400 bucks was well worth it in my eyes. Chump change in my view when it comes to dealing with a live animal and promoting a quick, proper kill.

Old trapper or new trapper, there is always a better way. If there wasn't, we would still be in the stone age.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:35 AM

While I do agree that the cost associated with the course is definitely on the high side the benefits are also vast. I went through the channels and attended the course(with lots of prior experience). The hands on knowledge I gained was not all that extensive but for the guys next to me that were not as fortunate in there upbringing it would have been invaluable. Non of us trappers have an issue taking a snaring workshop or fur handling course and the knowledge that can be gained is huge. So put yourselves in the shoes of a blank slate green hand wanting to learn a new skill. Basic trapping course should be something sought after. The more knowledgeable the trapper the better off we are as a whole IMO. Only takes one trap to hurt the whole lot of us.

This all being said I would agree with a grandfather system for experience. Set a number for harvest reports or fur receipts to qualify.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:38 AM

I took the course. I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time, and I was fairly angry with myself for taking it. I wish I got more out of it.

$400, and 3 days pretty much wasted.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Banned

I'm reviving this thread and I'll tell you why.

At the time that this thread was posted I didn't understand the significance of the question. Since then I have been told by two reliable sources that there is an initiative to make the basic trapping course mandatory for ALL Trappers, regardless of experience, who have not attended the course or haven't attended it in the past 10 years. Two different people with the same information.

So, would someone in the know like to elaborate on what's going on or is it not something that us peons need to know about....until it's too late?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Banned

anyone notice the OP has disappeared...?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 PM

He's around I'm sure. He's more of a lurker than a poster I think.
He's helped me out a few times through pm.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
He's around I'm sure. He's more of a lurker than a poster I think.
He's helped me out a few times through pm.
Likewise. No qualms with wolfman here. Helped me many times
Old 01-07-2017, 05:47 AM

Me as well. You can rest assured he is a true trapper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2017, 07:23 PM

Had my son take the course even though he could have challenged the test. He said that he has learned it from me and my trapping partner, so all he had to do was challenge the course.
I told him that if he learned just one thing at the course, the money was well spent.
He did pick up a couple of things that we now have implemented in our day to day operation.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Banned

^^^^You are very fortunate to have the disposable income, many do not.^^^^

I would much rather see people who actually need the income from trapping doing it rather than someone who has money and just does it for recreational reasons.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
^^^^You are very fortunate to have the disposable income, many do not.^^^^

I would much rather see people who actually need the income from trapping doing it rather than someone who has money and just does it for recreational reasons.
I hear you HD. What I wouldn't give to be able to be rigged like some of our compatriates are.. Sure would make the time spent at the "cabin" that much more "pleasant"