Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 01:02 AM

Default Wolves. What the heck were they doing? (10 photos)

So, I went to retrieve the camera I set up a couple of weeks ago (I will actually create another thread for it because I have some questions for the people in the know about cameras). Getting closer to the spot where I park before going into the woods, I saw some deer and moose tracks on the road, which was a good sign, since there was nothing on the road on my previous drives. Not too many, but maybe a moose and three or four deer tracks.

About two hundred meters to the "parking spot", I saw some, I would call, unusual tracks, but did not bother to stop and take a closer look since it was getting dark quickly. Long story short, I got the camera out and drove a little down the road to turn around. Then I saw this:

And this is what I thought to be an unusual track for me:

There was no blood, no fir, nothing. Just a bunch of tracks, digging, droppings (between 1.5 and 2 inches in diameter). I have not seen anything like this before and it is not the first year in the bush for me (I can't compete with many of you, fine gents, here though). I have seen similar stuff with blood and/or fir around. But this definitely did not look like a kill site. In the middle of the road, no more than half a day old (how old the snow is). There were three sites like this in proximity of 300 meters (this one being the largest).

So, I am just wondering if you could offer some ideas (or facts) of what was happening there. I would greatly appreciate any educated thoughts.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Just a guess but you may have found the edge of one packs territory, another pack may have been close by. They may have hung around , paced back an forth , do what wolves do
When not hunting. Again just a guess
Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Wolves

January- February is breeding season, they are more active now, kind of having a party, not just hunting.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:16 AM

A pack of wolves running around,they hit a road and out of the deep snow and are enjoy it 5 wolves can make pile of tracks,seen it every day .Hunters have to move and there on the move.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM

or could be close to a kill site , not sure if that makes them do the pawing and maybe marking territory thing .... also wolves can be in a general area for a long time .. if the game is there they will be too ... the road and easy moving vs the deep snow is a good point too ...
Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Cruising around, looking for luv and keeping territory well scented.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Banned

I have no idea what they were doing, but I know what you should be doing. Are you thinking of a small bait pile and then some calling? Looks like you found a good area.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 PM

Wow...very small world!!!
As soon as I opened this thread to read while having my first cup of coffee early this morning...I did a double take when I saw the pics!!! It was a serious case of déjà vu. I was quite sure I could recognize those same tracks, those 3 "diggings", the lay of the land, and even those particular 4 pieces of scat from my wandering a early yesterday morning. Lol
I sent a PM to the OP to confirm but he hasn't had the chance to get back to me yet. Anyways, I couldn't wait for confirmation, so I returned to the area and just got back. And yes, I can confirm as I found where the Op parked, walked then drove to the sign, got out and took his pics. I found the exact same diggings, the exact same scat, and even recreated all the pics with my camera.
So long story short, there is a pretty simple explanation...and some of the replies posted are pretty close...
I have to go grab a quick lunch but will return later to share what I know about what that particular pack is/was doing. In between time, I'm guessing a few members might figure it out!
Old 01-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Those holes look like the ones in my back yard. I have a Lab who likes to dig for Poo-sicles.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:22 PM

Wonder if Northbuck has a set in that area,

and the set has the alpha male.

I've seen the same unusual activity after getting the leader.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Ok...I have a few minutes so here goes...
Like I said earlier,I instantly recognized the pics posted by the OP as I had been down the very same trail/road earlier in the day.
There is a reason the wolves were spending a bit of time there. Where those particular pics were taken is on a RFMA...or for those not familiar with the acronym....Registered Fur Management Area (aka a trapline). So that being said, within a 1/2 radius of where the OP took those pics are 2 different wolf/coyote bait piles. The reason there was no hair/fur of a kill to be found is that the 2 bait piles are 3/4 to 1 mile away. The "diggings" (and yes I took a good look and took pics of them) are actually beds that some members of the pack made on the edge of the road...to maybe rest and allow time for digestion of the whole deer they consumed at the first bait pile. They spent considerable time in the area of the beds, milling up and down the road...marking their territory...and probably waiting for a couple of members of the pack that they left at the second bait site. Those particular wolves left behind won't be coming back to the pack...if you "catch my drift"...
Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Just now seeing your post 6.5...
Someone who knows wolves...bingo...you nailed it!!!
Old 01-08-2017, 03:45 PM

and there u have it ..good job if its your line and if not congrats to the lucky trapper
Old 01-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbuck View Post
Just now seeing your post 6.5...
Someone who knows wolves...bingo...you nailed it!!!
So what has happened here is that the alpha has been snared (killed) and the remaining pack is lost??
Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Northbuck.. if that's your setup, PM me

FAST

yes I do know wolves
Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Nope... Definitely not lost Warriorboy...
Since I have no clue where you're going with this...I'll leave it at that...
Wolves lose members of their pack all the time..to sickness, injury, territorial disputes...many causes other than hunting or trapping. They probably were just temporarily waiting to see if they came back...but when they don't...they will regroup...continue on...and keep on doing what wolves do...
Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Nope... Definitely not lost Warriorboy...
Since I have no clue where you're going with this...I'll leave it at that...
Wolves lose members of their pack all the time..to sickness, injury, territorial disputes...many causes other than hunting or trapping. They probably were just temporarily waiting to see if they came back...but when they don't...they will regroup...continue on...and keep on doing what wolves do...
By lost I meant confused over the loss of the alpha is all. I get what your saying though. They may be lost or confused but only for a short period, regroup and carry on..
Trying to understand the Wolves actions more so myself and what your saying does make perfect sense.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 PM

I get this alot near my bait sites on the lease roads. I would bet a nearby bait or kill site
Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 PM

Looks like a couple small groups met up, the beds would be from when they laid down to demonstrate sub ordinance to the dominant wolves.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
Northbuck.. if that's your setup, PM me

FAST

yes I do know wolves
We'll now I'm intrigued...
Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
We'll now I'm intrigued...
Gary, I just wanted to make him aware that this situation is the holy grail of wolf hunting.

Two guys set up so they don't get scent busted, lone wolf howl from the rear guy etc.

I'd give it 50 50 odds.

My last 4 similar situations... saw action in 3.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Gary, I just wanted to make him aware that this situation is the holy grail of wolf hunting.

Two guys set up so they don't get scent busted, lone wolf howl from the rear guy etc.

I'd give it 50 50 odds.

My last 4 similar situations... saw action in 3.
And thank you for taking the time to send me this advice Mr. 6.5swede! Some good people on this forum.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:41 AM

lol I re read this thread and it is about what I thought. In my experience I didn't take the Alfa member out of the pack but took 4 members at one go. The pack hung around within 200 yards of that bait for a couple days and the place looked like these pics. They seemed to have left the bait and done as you have said " Keep on moving like wolves do"
They made their round like they always do and then they hit the bait the second time and I strung up a couple more before they dissapeared for the rest of the year. It's interesting to see what happens with a pack after you take out a good number of them. If you get enough of them they basically become useless at doing much damage on the ungulates in the area.
It amazes me the Gov't doesn't think trappers can do much to control wolves lol
Get a trapper who knows what he is doing and things can change in short order if needs be
Congrats on the catch Northbuck
Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the input, guys! Really interesting to learn things about these dogs. I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Wow...very small world!!!
As soon as I opened this thread to read while having my first cup of coffee early this morning...I did a double take when I saw the pics!!! It was a serious case of déjà vu. I was quite sure I could recognize those same tracks, those 3 "diggings", the lay of the land, and even those particular 4 pieces of scat from my wandering a early yesterday morning. Lol
I sent a PM to the OP to confirm but he hasn't had the chance to get back to me yet. Anyways, I couldn't wait for confirmation, so I returned to the area and just got back. And yes, I can confirm as I found where the Op parked, walked then drove to the sign, got out and took his pics. I found the exact same diggings, the exact same scat, and even recreated all the pics with my camera.
So long story short, there is a pretty simple explanation...and some of the replies posted are pretty close...
I have to go grab a quick lunch but will return later to share what I know about what that particular pack is/was doing. In between time, I'm guessing a few members might figure it out!
Small world indeed! Sorry, I was offline for a couple of days and did not get a chance to respond. I cannot find a PM either. But it seems you got it all figured out anyway. I will just say that it is in a Wildland Provincial Park without going into further details for the sake of your trap lines, etc.

I guess only two of us saw it on that Saturday. When I got there, there was only one set of tire tracks going in and out (at least that far down the road) and I was the last one out after the lights out.

It is actually good to know that there are trap lines and bait sites in the area. I had no idea, to be honest. It is especially good to know because I was planning on doing some wolf hunting for the first time this year and that particular pack was the target In my limited time spent in the area earlier in the season, I have seen an odd wolf track here and there, so I knew the wolves are there. But even more so, I heard these guys on several occasions, even from the other side of the river, where I spent most of my hunting time. So I thought I found the perfect area to try things out and even have bait prepared What I saw and posted the pictures of above, got my heart pumping and thinking about going out, but I guess I will have to find another spot

Thanks for sharing the info! I wouldn't have figured that those were the beds since they did not look like it to me at all. But I have to admit that I have no idea what I am talking about in regards to wolves and their behaviour. I was wondering why the hell they would dig around the road. If I remember correctly, a couple of those beds were marked as well. A few feet into the bush, there were a couple of beds that actually looked like beds, with no apparent digging around, just tracks going in and out. Really interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing, once again!

Finally, congrats on the two you got! Hope the rest of the pack is still around and more to come into the traps!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Why not tag team it and wipe those dogs out?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post

There was no blood, no fur,, nothing. Just a bunch of tracks, digging....
It's a shame that we don't have any of the genuine, old time wolfers posting on this forum.
I guess that you can only shake your head so many times without getting a sore neck.

Anyway... a bit of wolf behavior (not from the www.)

On Bub's pic that I trimmed out (actually the next one, #6)
shows the seemingly pointless digging, just off their trail.

The wolves had been there before, after a good feed.

Foxes stash bits of food (basis of the dirt hole set).
Wolves turn off the trail & regurgitate a big splat of yellow stomach juices with chunks of meat

The digging is recovering their stashed iced treat, at a later date.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 PM

What does everyone do with the wolf pelts? I'm not against pure predator control. I believe unless on private land you have to use the hide of a wolf or coyote. The nice ones must make for a nice spread at the foot of a bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 PM

interesting stuff!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
It's a shame that we don't have any of the genuine, old time wolfers posting on this forum.
I guess that you can only shake your head so many times without getting a sore neck.

Anyway... a bit of wolf behavior (not from the www.)

On Bub's pic that I trimmed out (actually the next one, #6)
shows the seemingly pointless digging, just off their trail.

The wolves had been there before, after a good feed.

Foxes stash bits of food (basis of the dirt hole set).
Wolves turn off the trail & regurgitate a big splat of yellow stomach juices with chunks of meat

The digging is recovering their stashed iced treat, at a later date.
I guess you'll have to do? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I guess you'll have to do? Thanks.
Ha, I don't know half of it, and the reality of life is that I'm running out of time.

I hope you young (<70) trappers continue to build your knowledge, but view all you read with healthy scepticism,
eg: wolf behavior studies on penned animals.