Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 PM

Default Keg's go to marten/Fischer set

Hey keg. Thought I'd try your tried and tested set for marten. Hopefully I have results to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Looks real good!

If there are Marten, Fisher or Wolverine in the area you should have no trouble taking them with that.

How high off the ground is the pole? I put mine as high as I can reach comfortably.

Is the trap chain wired to the pole, is that what the carabiner is for?
I thought of trying that but didn't have a source for them.

I love that trap holder, far better then my way.

I don't think it matters but I used half a beaver and I'd hang it from the pole. I always had a few used messed up beaver snares in my sleigh and I'd slip the noose around the bait and then use the toggle wire to attach it to the pole.

I figured it made it harder for the mice and shrews to get to the bait but in hindsight it might be better if they did.
So long as the bait is too big for them to pack of in a couple of weeks having them gnawing on the bait can only help.

I wanted the birds to peck at it because our bait stashes had taught us that the birds draw in fur and they keep fresh meat open which helps spread scent.
Mice would do the same, and they would do it mostly at night when the birds are roosting and predators are on the prowl.

I would not be at all surprised if your way is way more productive because of that.

I can't wait to see what you catch first. There is no doubt in my mind that you've got it right and it will work.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Looks real good!

If there are Marten, Fisher or Wolverine in the area you should have no trouble taking them with that.

How high off the ground is the pole? I put mine as high as I can reach comfortably.

Is the trap chain wired to the pole, is that what the carabiner is for?
I thought of trying that but didn't have a source for them.

I love that trap holder, far better then my way.

I don't think it matters but I used half a beaver and I'd hang it from the pole. I always had a few used messed up beaver snares in my sleigh and I'd slip the noose around the bait and then use the toggle wire to attach it to the pole.

I figured it made it harder for the mice and shrews to get to the bait but in hindsight it might be better if they did.
So long as the bait is too big for them to pack of in a couple of weeks having them gnawing on the bait can only help.

I wanted the birds to peck at it because our bait stashes had taught us that the birds draw in fur and they keep fresh meat open which helps spread scent.
Mice would do the same, and they would do it mostly at night when the birds are roosting and predators are on the prowl.

I would not be at all surprised if your way is way more productive because of that.

I can't wait to see what you catch first. There is no doubt in my mind that you've got it right and it will work.
Keg,
I've got the pole about 5 ft off the ground. I use carabiners to quick clip a cable to the the trap around the tree/pole. Thanks for posting this set a while back. Tried it last year and had a marten. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Banned

I have to admit that I cannot see the "trap holder", and don't see how those connies are sitting there like that. Must be the branches. Good luck with the set.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I have to admit that I cannot see the "trap holder", and don't see how those connies are sitting there like that. Must be the branches. Good luck with the set.

You mean this trap holder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacron View Post

Looks like a trap holder to me

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacron View Post

Yes that's right. These things. Picked them up at Halfords I think. Picture shows them upside down.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Banned

Those coni holders can be made by using plywood roofing spacers from the lumber yard, bending and then squeezing them in a vice to fit whatever size coni you use. They don't have the tang but a roofing nail is firmer
FWIW, carbiners are fine and fast but should be used with a swivel, cuz when the animal twists, it can open the latch.....I know...I use a lot of 1/8 quik links
Old 01-03-2017, 03:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Keg,
I've got the pole about 5 ft off the ground. I use carabiners to quick clip a cable to the the trap around the tree/pole. Thanks for posting this set a while back. Tried it last year and had a marten. Will keep you posted.

Five feet should be okay. I chose to go higher because my bait was hanging and we had wolves that could and would reach it from the ground and steal it.
I figure my poles were about seven feet up. It was as high as I could reach comfortably.

I thought a lot about using some sort of quick clip but couldn't find any that seemed suitable back when I was developing that set.

I figured that with a carabiner or other quick clip, once the set was made then removing a catch and resetting would be much faster and easier.
Plus it would make setting up in the fall faster and easier.

Of course that was before internet shopping and even before specialty stores for the most part.
My options were limited to what the local hardware and lumber yards handled and their selection was pretty limited compared to what you could find in the big cities. On top of that such things were hard to find even in the big cities.
About the only place one ever saw them was in the mountain ski towns, and then only the biggest ones.

Horse riding paraphernalia suppliers, tack shops had some but again they were bog and expensive.
So I never pursued the idea beyond researching what was available.

This was actually not my go to set. That was a bird box type set I had developed. Again because there was nothing similar on the market back then. Today there are as good or better options.

The reason I started working on this pole set was because setting up the boxes and removing them in the spring was time consuming and required multiple trips due to the volume needed to transport large numbers of them.

The old timers used a snare pole setup along these lines for Fisher and Marten and I simply adapted it for conibears and refined it a bit.

The idea was, come spring I could collect my traps and be done for the season. Come fall I could re-bait, reset the traps and be set for the season.
With the boxes or with cubbies, each year I had to find an appropriate tree, attach a box to that tree, or build a cubbie, bait it and hang or set a trap.
That all took quiet a lot of time.

I had tried leaving my boxes out year round but that proved to not be the best idea. The bears would tear them up, squirrels would gnaw on them sometimes to the point that in one season the box was not longer usable.
I've had half the box missing when I returned in the fall, and what the bears would do was even worse.
Most years I had to replace nearly 3/4 of my boxes, if I left them out. The pole sets did not seem to attract that sort of attention.

As I'm sure you know, boxes of any sort take up a lot of space in a sleigh.

I actually stumbled upon one of my old sets this fall that I had made back in the mid 1980s. The pole was too week from rot to use but everything else was as I had left it. And that was in a high bear traffic area and close to several Squirrel middens.

Plus I liked the potential for double catches and the backup trap in case one missed or misfired.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-03-2017, 03:26 AM
Gone Hunting

I can't remember if I talked about how I set my poles with them being so high.

They weren't high when I was setting.

One end was nailed to one tree but the other end was wired on and rested on a nail.
I could give the wire a couple of twists and lift that end free and lower it to the ground.

That way I was working at waist lever when working on my set.

When everything was ready all I had to do was lift the pole back up onto the second nail and wire it so it couldn't get knocked down.

That system allowed for a higher pole setup and it sped up trap setup time considerably.

I think a person could make it even faster by using some sort of rope setup that could be hooked up rather then tied. Or maybe a catch system similar to a gate latch.

I didn't because transporting a lot of tools and hardware back so far made further development impractical. The nail hanger and wire worked well enough to satisfy my needs.

George Bernard Shaw