Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 AM

Default Standard Beginner Post

Hi all,

So, I've been out with a few friends and done enough to catch the fever that is hunting and, more specifically, bow hunting. What I do know in my limited experience is that I can kill, gut, skin and process game and not get the least bit queasy. So that's out of the way.

That said, I'm a full blown beginner and I've only shot a few different bows, but I'm convinced I'm hooked on the analysis, pre-season and time commitment required.

My first question is (and Google failed me on this) what needs to be done to bow hunt in Alberta after doing your PAL and AHEIA (both of which I've done). I'm told PAL may not even be required.

Secondly and lastly, the Alberta public land ranges seem vast and complicated. Not at all asking for sweet spots, but wondering if there are any folks out there willing to share general info on how a beginner hunter should analyze all the resources and WMUs in order to determine where to go set a cam and possibly hunt.

I know this is laughable for most of you on this forum, but I appreciate your insight!

St
Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 AM

Location?
Win card
Get a bow that is fit properly (good deals right now!)
Shoot it lots.
Start looking for land to hunt now. Make contact with land owners and ask permission to look for antler sheds. Good way to learn animal habits. Its a good way to ease in to hunting land. If you show respect for land owners and their property!
Good luck.
Brad
Old 12-29-2016, 07:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Go to an archery shop, find a bow that fits you and your budget, ask lots of questions there, like minded people hang out in places like that.
Get a win card, once you have sourced out an area of interest google earth that area, check for natural funnels, water etc and most importantly get out ther and recce it.
Game cameras in areas of interest.
Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM

To hunt with a bow you do not need your PAL. All you need is your hunter education course and win card. Then come hunting season you purchase your bow hunting permit which cost $9.

Go to a few problems shops and try as many Bows as you can. Pick one that feels good to you and fits your budget. You don't have to spend a fortune to get up and going. There are many ready to hunt bows out there.

As for public land. I highly recommend the ihunter alberta app. Then purchase upgrade for the lease lands and public lands. Great app. Very useful. You can still use the map without cell service. Add way points ....

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Go to an archery shop, find a bow that fits you and your budget, ask lots of questions there, like minded people hang out in places like that.
Get a win card, once you have sourced out an area of interest google earth that area, check for natural funnels, water etc and most importantly get out ther and recce it.
Good luck.

.. and don't forget the competency part. There will be lot's of shooting practice required long before you head out hunting.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 AM

Hey Saintsy - where are you located in the province?

Sorting out land access isn't as difficult as it first seems, but it is something you have to get right.

Like a previous poster, I highly recommend the iHunter AB app.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Yes, as others have already stated, a pro shop will be your best friend.

I would suggest getting an archery target as well, so that while you're out for the day, you can also spend some time shooting that bow in the open, learning what light does to your sight, what wind does to your arrow and also you can shoot(miss in my case) at extended ranges. Shooting at really far ranges (once you've worked your way up to those) will give you the extra confidence at realistic hunting ranges.

I bought a Rinehart 18-1 target years ago and it's still going strong - is a great investment.

The addiction only gets better.... welcome!

J.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 AM

Don't forget a rangefinder if your like me and horrible at estimating ranges.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Most importantly, if you intend to hunt with your bow next year, join an archery club and practice using the 3d targets so you will know your arrow placement on the real thing! Lots of 3d shoots throughout the province during the spring and summer months to get ready for hunting season. You shoot with other people at these events so gives you lots of time to talk and learn from the others in your group. There is an indoor 3d shoot January 7 & 8 in Lloydminster that would give you an idea of what to expect and a chance to meet and chat with fellow archers.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:20 PM

Howdy and and welcome to AO Saintsy16!
Lots of experience and help here ,don't worry about asking any questions of this bunch. Great pile of guys and gals!
Cat
Old 12-29-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Location?
Win card
Get a bow that is fit properly (good deals right now!)
Shoot it lots.
Start looking for land to hunt now. Make contact with land owners and ask permission to look for antler sheds. Good way to learn animal habits. Its a good way to ease in to hunting land. If you show respect for land owners and their property!
Good luck.
Brad
Much appreciated! I'm based out of Calgary but will go wherever
Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Good luck.
I had wondered if Google Earth could be of help, thanks for the reply!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
To hunt with a bow you do not need your PAL. All you need is your hunter education course and win card. Then come hunting season you purchase your bow hunting permit which cost $9.

Go to a few problems shops and try as many Bows as you can. Pick one that feels good to you and fits your budget. You don't have to spend a fortune to get up and going. There are many ready to hunt bows out there.

As for public land. I highly recommend the ihunter alberta app. Then purchase upgrade for the lease lands and public lands. Great app. Very useful. You can still use the map without cell service. Add way points ....

Welcome to the addiction!
Thanks so much! I knew there was something I was missing, I've got my WIN and AHEIA but the permit makes more sense. I have the app but I'll buy the upgrade now, it seems like a great app for a beginner already
Old 12-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
.. and don't forget the competency part. There will be lot's of shooting practice required long before you head out hunting.
Absolutely, I've been shooting 2-3 times a week with borrowed bows for a while but I think it's high time I go get proper lessons and properly fitted. Not as much knowledge from the guys I know with the expensive bows as I would've thought
Old 12-29-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
Hey Saintsy - where are you located in the province?

Sorting out land access isn't as difficult as it first seems, but it is something you have to get right.

Like a previous poster, I highly recommend the iHunter AB app.
Work has me based out of Calgary. Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Yes, as others have already stated, a pro shop will be your best friend.

I would suggest getting an archery target as well, so that while you're out for the day, you can also spend some time shooting that bow in the open, learning what light does to your sight, what wind does to your arrow and also you can shoot(miss in my case) at extended ranges. Shooting at really far ranges (once you've worked your way up to those) will give you the extra confidence at realistic hunting ranges.

I bought a Rinehart 18-1 target years ago and it's still going strong - is a great investment.

The addiction only gets better.... welcome!

J.
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the great advice!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Don't forget a rangefinder if your like me and horrible at estimating ranges.
Haha, yeah I foolishly thought I'd be good at it from decades of golfing but I'm putting pennies in the piggy bank for one now
Old 12-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Most importantly, if you intend to hunt with your bow next year, join an archery club and practice using the 3d targets so you will know your arrow placement on the real thing! Lots of 3d shoots throughout the province during the spring and summer months to get ready for hunting season. You shoot with other people at these events so gives you lots of time to talk and learn from the others in your group. There is an indoor 3d shoot January 7 & 8 in Lloydminster that would give you an idea of what to expect and a chance to meet and chat with fellow archers.
I was wondering what these events were all about! I'm in Calgary but I think Jim Bows has them fairly regularly
Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Howdy and and welcome to AO Saintsy16!
Lots of experience and help here ,don't worry about asking any questions of this bunch. Great pile of guys and gals!
Cat
Hey Cat - thanks, great to know!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 PM

Default Thank You

Hi all,

Just wanted to take a quick second to say thank you to all the posters here. Each post was extremely helpful and I really appreciate it!

Cheers,
St
Old 12-29-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsy16 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to take a quick second to say thank you to all the posters here. Each post was extremely helpful and I really appreciate it!

Cheers,
St
Welcome to the forum and the addiction that is archery.
Since you are in Calgary I would advise you to hit up Jimbows and the Calgary Archery Center. Talk to the tech/sales people, get fitted for draw length then start trying bows in your price range.
Finding the right bow has a lot to do with how it feels to the individual shooter. There are many different styles of grips and draw cycles what your friends like or I like might feel like crap in your hands.
For some good reading check out a website called huntersfriend.com, there is a lot of great info on bows and arrows there.
Jimbows has weekend 3d and CAC always has a 16 target 3d course set up.

Good luck with your search!

Tags
beginner, bow, hunt