Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Default Elk hunt in WMU 200, 202, 203, 232, and 234

I got this year special draw for elk in WMU 200, 202, 203, 232, 234 and season last till Jan 20th, 2017.
I never been there.
Would anyone recommend good places to hunt in that area?
What kind of hunt can I expect over there: walking, driving etc? Reason I'm asking is I'll be going with older person.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolMark View Post
I got this year special draw for elk in WMU 200, 202, 203, 232, 234 and season last till Jan 20th, 2017.
I never been there.
Would anyone recommend good places to hunt in that area?
What kind of hunt can I expect over there: walking, driving etc? Reason I'm asking is I'll be going with older person.
It may be tall order finding permission but for a sit and wait hunt anything bordering the base is worth looking into. Be prepared to be dealing with lots of ther hunters. So far this year the only cows i find are ones that "were right there yesterday" or "passed through X field just last week" im hoping the lack of deer hunters all over the place will let them calm down a bit and stay still.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
It may be tall order finding permission but for a sit and wait hunt anything bordering the base is worth looking into. Be prepared to be dealing with lots of ther hunters. So far this year the only cows i find are ones that "were right there yesterday" or "passed through X field just last week" im hoping the lack of deer hunters all over the place will let them calm down a bit and stay still.

Thanks a lot Tikka250 for your input
Old 12-03-2016, 03:14 PM

Your hunt will last about 20mins per day if you hunt close to the base. 10mins of first light and 10 minute before last light.

Not many elk spotted on the base right now so that will work in your favour!

You really need snow and cold to get things out and moving.

LC
Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 PM

We had some success there a couple of years ago pushing small bushes - got 2 cows and missed a chance at a small bull from one bush. Hard going and lots of miles in heavy bush and downfall before finally coming across something that hadn't gone into the base or wasn't hanging out on land with no access.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:58 PM

Not being rude but I live out in that area and you gotta put in your time in advance even just to get random permission. The first thing we generally ask is where are you from and secondly are you guiding. We have all been burnt by people that get permission and figure they got it for life, drive around all nite spotlighting when crimes been bad among other things. The big herds are moving south generally. That I can help ya with.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Not being rude but I live out in that area and you gotta put in your time in advance even just to get random permission. The first thing we generally ask is where are you from and secondly are you guiding. We have all been burnt by people that get permission and figure they got it for life, drive around all nite spotlighting when crimes been bad among other things. The big herds are moving south generally. That I can help ya with.

Pretty well hit it on the money. Landowners are simply getting fed up with the weekend warriors from the big cities. The unfortunate part is they will almost always ask where you are from, thankfully being good friends with well liked landowners in the area goes a long way for me.
Remember being courteous is easy and no that doesn't mean a quick phone call, I try to spark a conversation with any farmer out checking their cattle even if I'm not hunting their property.
Elk are in pockets throughout but as pikeman mentioned I've heard they are also more situated southern. Most landowners would be happy to steer you in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks pikeman06.
When you say first thing we ask is ``where are you from`` do you mean place we live recently? (Calgary in my case).
Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 PM

Just to get a quick read on if they have spent much time or live in rural areas as that type of person generally has an understanding of how to respect the land, the landowners and fellow hunters, neighboring land etc.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:42 PM

If we get this cold weather for a few weeks the elk should herd up and will be hitting the feed hard..it won't matter where you are from but willing to kill an elk to affected farmers. But you will have to put the miles on to find them. Hope for some snow to make the world smaller or be prepared to put some serious miles on at prime time to locate the herds.

S
Old 12-04-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Just to get a quick read on if they have spent much time or live in rural areas as that type of person generally has an understanding of how to respect the land, the landowners and fellow hunters, neighboring land etc.
Yup. If your not PRESENTLEY from a rural community your an imbasile.

Remember a lot of urban folks came from the country, so we do understand how to respect the land. For those that did not, maybe you could mentor them?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Yup. If your not PRESENTLEY from a rural community your an imbasile.

Remember a lot of urban folks came from the country, so we do understand how to respect the land. For those that did not, maybe you could mentor them?

Sad isn't it. More frustrating than anything but pikeman isn't stretching the truth this happens with 100 percent of the landowners I've spoken to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatz View Post
Sad isn't it. More frustrating than anything but pikeman isn't stretching the truth this happens with 100 percent of the landowners I've spoken to
The other sad thing is that many times the folks accessing without permission, leaving gates open, driving over crop and cutting fences are local country boys.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Gone Hunting

I ask where you are from and who you voted for federally and provincially. some conversations end there.

Had a couple guys stop in for access. They were from 'away' out west. They were looking for moose and mule deer. Never been within100 miles of here before.

Hmmm? Why come all the way over here when there must be animals out west?

"Well yeah there are but it takes so long to get drawn because there are so many hunters. Around here there doesn't seem to be as many and it only takes x years to get a draw. so we thought we would try here. have you seen any game?"

"I used to see game and not many hunters. A guy could get a draw every couple years, but for some reason that has changed. Maybe it's global warming"

If you want to hunt a new area, put in the time meeting the locals and scouting the area. show up opening morning and you may not have much luck.

I think next year I'll put in "over west" by Rocky.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM

I hate to say this but we do a lot for the landowners we hunt on and we are from the city.If anything the locals themselves have less respect for their own neighbors out there so don't trust everyone out there. At least when they tell us to walk only, or stay out of that area ,we respect what they say so I'm sick of all country people categorizing all of us the same.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:17 PM

Just look at some of the past topics on this forum. There's people that defend something that is so blatantly wrong until they get the last word in. Recent examples are the spotlighting and looking at other people's trail cams to name a couple. Then look where they are from. Sorry, but it affects everyone looking for permission coming from the big centers.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM

I have this same draw for 232, and I am 'local'. Pike speaks the truth, but so do some others. Some of the local boys are worse than city folk. See my previous thread where I posted photos of mule deer! I spent the whole first week of November kicking other locals off my neighbors land that I had exclusive hunting permission on. One of the those very goofs came on here and starting slinging poop.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:39 PM

Are we are talking area around Wainwright Canadian Forces Base? Are there any other places in those WMUs that can be used for hunting, elk especially?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:35 AM

Aint going to get locations out of me, but I will say there are elk in every single one of those WMU's. If you haven't done homework up to this point....your own fault
Old 01-15-2017, 10:39 PM

Finally got it done this weekend. Took a lot of work but happy the freezer is full for another year. Elk is the best meat there is IMO