Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2016, 01:23 PM

Question Biggest surprise fly for past open water season?

Just wondering if anyone tried new fly styles and was completely surprised by the results.
For me it was a tequila booby.......that weird little concoction is deadly at times! I had never fished any type of booby before and the takes were quite aggressive.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:30 PM

I had great success with this Chironomid pattern at Bullhead this spring.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ve9fFXmaBEugvb1k6
Old 11-26-2016, 04:43 PM

I have never tried using a booby before. Did not make sense to me before I reading an article a few minutes ago that explained the way to fish them and how they move in the water. Will try this year.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:02 AM

I first really started fishing a booby this year, had them for at least 4 yrs now, intended to use on bass originally,but, haven't been out that way in about that long. So, I tried them in Manitoba this year, worked really well for me on the tiger trout in Twin, on a washing line setup. Another one I hadn't tied before,or used, were the balanced leeches, was impressed with those.
I liked the way the buzzer style chironomids performed, they sank nicely, unweighted, and did the job. I also did some micro-leeches on #14 & 16 hooks that worked well.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 AM

I started using a sex dungeon trailed by a smaller minnow pattern with full sink line on "warm water" species like walleye. Found out it works just as great on them as it does for trout.
I mean I haven't been surprised by certain patterns this year, but by different techniques.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:07 PM

I've been fly fishing for over 30 years on streams and rivers, never fished a stillwater till i came to canada 4 years ago, after taking advise on forums like this i started using leeches and chironomids under an indicator, would'nt believe that trout of a decent size would take something as small as a chironomid or as non fly looking as a leech, but wow what a blast, can't wait for next spring
Old 11-28-2016, 09:21 PM

beaded blob swung in a river

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
I had great success with this Chironomid pattern at Bullhead this spring.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ve9fFXmaBEugvb1k6
Great looking tie.Care to share the recipe. thanks
Old 11-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Sorry i don't no how to post a picture.Here is the recipe,or you can see Brian Chan tie his version at Northern lights flytyers youtube.He calls it a BCW worked everywhere from BC TO MB.
So my version is i use a 60degree bend jig hook,with a slotted red 3/32 or 7/64 bead[anodised]Canadian llama...Size # 10 hook,red bead slide up as far around the bend,next to the back of the hook eye.Wine or red long fibered marabou feather,1 single strand of red crystal flash tied in at the tail,shank length.Small red wire,woven thru the marabou.So tear of the longest fibers about 1/2",extend the points of the fibers,shank length.Donot cut the fibers.Then wind the rest,closely touching each other to the bead.Wind the wire,trying not to crush the tail fibers down ,toward the bk of the bead tie off.I fish this under an indicator as the pt. fly,with 1 or 2 other chironmids.AB Regs allow for 3 flies,you can fish it by itself ....my best producer hands down !!
Old 12-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Sorry i don't no how to post a picture.Here is the recipe,or you can see Brian Chan tie his version at Northern lights flytyers youtube.He calls it a BCW worked everywhere from BC TO MB.

So my version is i use a 60degree bend jig hook,with a slotted red 3/32 or 7/64 bead[anodised]Canadian llama...Size # 10 hook,red bead slide up as far around the bend,next to the back of the hook eye.Wine or red long fibered marabou feather,1 single strand of red crystal flash tied in at the tail,shank length.Small red wire,woven thru the marabou.So tear of the longest fibers about 1/2",extend the points of the fibers,shank length.Donot cut the fibers.Then wind the rest,closely touching each other to the bead.Wind the wire,trying not to crush the tail fibers down ,toward the bk of the bead tie off.I fish this under an indicator as the pt. fly,with 1 or 2 other chironmids.AB Regs allow for 3 flies,you can fish it by itself ....my best producer hands down !!

Awesome thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawad View Post
Just wondering if anyone tried new fly styles and was completely surprised by the results.
For me it was a tequila booby.......that weird little concoction is deadly at times! I had never fished any type of booby before and the takes were quite aggressive.
Been moving in a new "outside of the box" direction with my pike flies with great results.