Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2016, 01:35 PM

Default ☻☻Local gunshop shout-outs☻☻

Just a bit north of Spruce Grove is Swamp Donkey and I have to say that I have been both accommodated as well as offered more than fair pricing more than once.

Anyone else happy with a smaller shop near you?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM

I always enjoy my visits to CX shooters in Morinville, and The Shootist in St. Albert. They both carry used firearms and oddball stuff.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Bashaw sports. Can't say enough good things about them
Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyman41 View Post
Bashaw sports. Can't say enough good things about them
Yup...the only problem I have with Bashaw Sports is I am no longer allowed to go there with out supervision.. and apparently my grandsons don't count as supervisors...
Back Country Supplies south of Hardisty is another excellent choice
Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 PM

Flys etc in high river, especially now that they moved to their new bigger location
Old 05-04-2016, 12:26 PM

Prairie Gun Traders have provided me with excellent service and pricing.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Always like going to Sportsman's den in Red Deer, Good staff, good service and if you need it, they likely have it. Wolverine I avoid.

Grizz
Old 05-04-2016, 01:40 PM

Bowyers in Maple Creek, cant say enough good things about Darcy, his prices are hard to beat IMO, and he doesnt mark up old stock that I've noticed, picked up a new Ruger Mini 14 target for $1250, Federal small rifle match primers $4.75/100, and 5 boxes of Hornady 35gr vmax $21.50 each.(i bought all primers & bullets that he had at that price lol). That was last week when i stopped by.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Yup...the only problem I have with Bashaw Sports is I am no longer allowed to go there with out supervision.. and apparently my grandsons don't count as supervisors..
Lol totally agree with you hal53. Me and grandkid head there for breakfast next door and are first ones through the door when pud unlocks it.
support your local gunshop.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-05-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I always enjoy my visits to CX shooters in Morinville, and The Shootist in St. Albert. They both carry used firearms and oddball stuff.
X2 on both!!
Always make a point of stopping by if I can when I head south
Cat
Old 05-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Banned

I clicked on this thread because I misread it as:

"Local Gunshop SHOOTOUTS", which sounded rather sensational.

Silly me

However, I like Bashaw Sports as well.

I've found guns there that I couldn't find in Edmonton area shops, and I've sold a few guns there under consignment.

It's an old-time gun shop in a century-old wooden building, with a little bit of everything.

I enjoy the drive, and I enjoy visiting Bashaw and driving through the Donalda Badlands, while I'm there.

Last edited by Dead Mule; 05-05-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
The Shootist is great for consignment.

Close-up photos of your gun on-line so you can visit it until it sells.

And, those photos sell the gun really well.

A quiet little shop that hides at the end of a little dead-end street in St. Albert.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM

There are so many GREAT gun shops, it proves this is one sport where service levels and honour are different.

1. Prophet River
  2. Nordic Marksman
  3. Hirsch Precison
  4. P and D
  5. CX
  6. Shootist
  7. Bashaw Sports
  8. Ellwood Epps
  9. Alberta Tactical
  10. Grouse River
  11. RaynerShine
  12. Wolverine Sports
  13. Fly's

And those are just a few off the top of my head that I have dealt with recently. I challenge you to try to name that many of any other type of retailer who provide excellent service and stand good to their word when dealing with clients.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 PM

My go to dealers are Prophet River, and then Bashaw Sports. I also do a fair bit of business with Raynershine, and occasionally P&D, but I had having to drive to their location. Less frequently I use Prairie Gun Traders, Northpro Sports, Hirsch precision and Ellwood Epps.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Yup...the only problem I have with Bashaw Sports is I am no longer allowed to go there with out supervision.. and apparently my grandsons don't count as supervisors...
Back Country Supplies south of Hardisty is another excellent choice
Bashaw Sports is very good.

But I recently discovered something about them that makes me question their location...,....I can leave my shop in Leduc, drive to Bashaw, buy a gun and be back in the shop in 3 hours max,....can't decide if that's good or bad....
Old 05-05-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My go to dealers are Prophet River, and then Bashaw Sports. I also do a fair bit of business with Raynershine, and occasionally P&D, but I had having to drive to their location. Less frequently I use Prairie Gun Traders, Northpro Sports, Hirsch precision and Ellwood Epps.
Consider yourself lucky. Back in the day before the big box stores appeared, the street were P&D is used to be the hub for all but maybe 3 gun stores in Edmonton. The 3 others were Wolfs, Trail and Phoenix if I recall correctly. These were the crappy days before the innerwebs opened up the magic of online shopping.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are so many GREAT gun shops, it proves this is one sport where service levels and honour are different.

1. Prophet River
  2. Nordic Marksman
  3. Hirsch Precison
  4. P and D
  5. CX
  6. Shootist
  7. Bashaw Sports
  8. Ellwood Epps
  9. Alberta Tactical
  10. Grouse River
  11. RaynerShine
  12. Wolverine Sports
  13. Fly's

And those are just a few off the top of my head that I have dealt with recently. I challenge you to try to name that many of any other type of retailer who provide excellent service and stand good to their word when dealing with clients.

I have shoped at many of these and one common theme is they do custom orders for stuff you can't find at the big guys because its on back oder.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:59 AM

some of you may remember Wolf's Guns in Edmonton and before that is was Smoky's Sports back in the early 80's so I may be dating myself somewhat, John from Smoky's was as good as they get and when Wolf bought him out the tradition continued, the coffee was always on and it had that small country atmosphere, a large number of us that spent untold $'s there knew full well we could save 4 or 5% by going to the big boys but we spent there anyway just because you were treated like a friend instead of just a customer with a number, anyway there are still places like that around, drop in at Shepp's in Lloydminster someday around 10, there will be anywhere from 3 to 10 people having coffee and chatting.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Consider yourself lucky. Back in the day before the big box stores appeared, the street were P&D is used to be the hub for all but maybe 3 gun stores in Edmonton. The 3 others were Wolfs, Trail and Phoenix if I recall correctly. These were the crappy days before the innerwebs opened up the magic of online shopping.

I remember dealing With Klondike arms, and Custom Gun in Edmonton, Barotto in Calgary, Stalkers in Saskatoon, , and the other companies of the day.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 AM

Proline in Calgary is great too. If you ever get an offer to go into there basement. Take a look
Old 05-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot73 View Post
Bowyers in Maple Creek, cant say enough good things about Darcy, his prices are hard to beat IMO, and he doesnt mark up old stock that I've noticed, picked up a new Ruger Mini 14 target for $1250, Federal small rifle match primers $4.75/100, and 5 boxes of Hornady 35gr vmax $21.50 each.(i bought all primers & bullets that he had at that price lol). That was last week when i stopped by.
I've always had excellent luck with Darcy........first guy I call when looking for something gun related.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I remember dealing With Klondike arms, and Custom Gun in Edmonton, Barotto in Calgary, Stalkers in Saskatoon, , and the other companies of the day.
I remember Klondike very well.

I first started going in there when Ernie "The Horse Trader" Perras owned it in the 1970s.

It was in an older downtown Edmonton then, on 102 Street near Stony Plain Road, before the tall buildings came, right next to Marchysyn's Smoked Meats and across the Street from Welsh's Saddlery.

I bought everything from a 1934 Berretta pistol to an M42B Ljungman rifle, to
WW2 surplus ammo. I was just a kid then.

I also went in regularly when it was on gun row where P&D is now, until it folded.

I bought my first .45 Auto from Custom Gun when it was on 112 Street and Jasper Avenue in 1972.

A Colt Series 70 for the princely sum of $225.00 new. (Times have changed.)

Does anyone remember Jack's Gun Rack on 118 Avenue near 95 Street in Edmonton? I bought my first Lyman bullet mold there that he ordered in for me.

And, of course there was Edmonton Sporting Goods.

Also Uncle Ben's Sporting Goods (where I bought my first Ruger Super Blackhawk), which had been in business from the early part of the 20th century until they folded around 1980 or so, if I recall correctly.

They had those old huge calendars posted high up on the walls attesting to their many years in business.

What I loved about them is that they had stuff that had been in stock forever. I bought .38 Short Colt Dominion Ammo off the shelf there.

I remember someone saying that when they cleaned out the old safe they found brand new old stock magazines for a Borchardt pistol.

Anyway, that's one old man's gun shop memories.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:58 AM

Jack's? Was that Cottle's gun shop?
Cat
Old 05-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Jack's? Was that Cottle's gun shop?
Cat
No, I don't think so.

I remember Cottle's Gunsmith back around 1972. I had a revolver repaired there. Different Place.

The first gun shop that I now remember going into in Edmonton was I think called Joe's Sporting Goods, back around 1971.

Located on 118 Avenue around 81st Street.

I got a 3-speed bicycle wheel straightened out there, and discovered a red cloth lined walnut case full of handguns. (They sold long guns and handguns as well as bicycles and basic ball and glove stuff.)

Love at first sight. I was hooked.

A hundred questions later, and a membership with a club that shot on Sundays in the local high school basement range, and I bought a Ruger Target .22 LR auto.

I shot every Sunday there, religiously.

I learned to shoot there and I remember the members fondly.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 PM

Prophet river and Bashaw are probably the best of the ones I've been to. Kodiak lake in Barrhead is a great little store as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:18 PM

I have always liked P and D, but I should mention I have bought most of my guns from Tradexcanada. They are both great to deal with.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:58 AM

The guys at Tier One Armoury in Edmonton are great. I've found Tradex Canada to be good to deal with as well.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Thumbs up Kodiak lake

Kodiak lake in Barrhead. Great to deal with Kevin always calls or gives us heads up when stuff comes in that we need or are interested in.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 AM

For me, it is not even close. Prophet River is far and away my favourite. Always will be as long as Clayton Smiley owns it. He understands customer service like no retailer I have ever encountered. Ever. As a result, he has the loyalty of many.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:02 PM

Default Short bullets on a local small gun store

Just a reminder, make sure the quantity you got is correct/sufficent.

Several weeks ago, I bought some bullets from a local small store. I always prefer to buy locally because i want to keep my money in Alberta. The seller counted them so quickly that I can't even see if it's correctly counted. I had to count again when I got home. As you may guess, it's ten percent short. He may not do it on purpose, I believe it's not, but I do deserve to get what I paid! Enough said.

No defense, no other meaning, just a reminder to all buyers.