Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
consistent .2 groups from several .308's? I doubt that very much.
There is an easy to solve your doubts. We shoot at Rocky pretty commonly.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMachine View Post
He is trying to slam a company for charging prices he thinks are unreasonable and that he may not be able to afford would be my guess.
lol. I can afford anything you guys do. But why would I pay 2x the money for the same job somewhere else that does just as good or better of a job in a faster time frame.

Deuceman call around and go see them and see who is more $$.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Banned

I'll vouch for the Jury barrels.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
lol. I can afford anything you guys do. But why would I pay 2x the money for the same job somewhere else that does just as good or better of a job in a faster time frame.

Deuceman call around and go see them and see who is more $$.
your opinion is noted. isn't fantastic to live in a place where we can exercise free will to spend our money where ever we see fit?
MM has answered the call to to prove his claims, if someone takes him up on that, and decides that his fee for the results is acceptable, who gives a crap?
people with personal axes to grind with businesses should go face to face with the 'offender'; this b.s. of slagging folks publicly for personal disagreements is getting old. lee
Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=MagnumMachine;2331515]I disagree. Both of my competition 308s along with both of my sons 308s along with most of the other rifles we build from scratch in 308 as well as many other calibers deliver this sort of accuracy. Should you have doubts we would be happy to provide a solution.
It all boils down to top quality components and craftsmanship. Every full custom rifle we build is built to BR specs.

While the majority of high quality barrels and even actions do come out of the USA, there are several Canadian manufacturers who can certainly match the quality of anything made in a foreign country.
The best part of supporting Canadian is that it keeps the industry IN Canada rather than killing it further. Canada USED to have powder and primers as well as other products firearms related, but over the last 25 years most of the business has moved to other countries, not because of foreign made being better but because of a lacking of support from within Canada.

I don't know if you have noticed, but powder and bullets are getting hard comeby the last 2 years. Would it not be nice if we were not as dependent on foreign made everything?
Only way to encourage more local supply is to support local supply.[/QUOTE

I am all for supporting our Canadian suppliers and do so when ever their is opportunity, how ever if your going to compete and want to win then you must take the best components that are available to the line regardless of where they are manufactured. I don't think its a lack of support from Canadian consumers in the last 25 years that is the problem, its because our stuff is not winning at the big matches,(MacLennan's have won some matches, but Rob isn't making any barrels right now) If it was, you wouldn't have to play the "buy Canadian to support your country" card because the rest of the world would be beating our door down to get what we produce.
I tested and competed with 10 barrels last season, Krieger, Bartlien, MacLennan, and Shilen. I also had a Broughton and a Benchmark but ran out of time. this year I will do the same (have already started), with any manufacturer that can supply, it will be the best Barrels that I have at the time that will go to the Cactus next Month in Phoenix,again regardless of where its made. Barrels are like anything else, there are no absolutes, different Lots from different years will produce varied results, one really needs to shoot each barrel to see what it is capable of and ride the good ones as long as they last.
As for the 308's shooting .2 aggs, I have never seen this in competition, anything is possible. and I would truly enjoy seeing it done.as I said I think a .2 would be the exception and not the norm. The best I have seen in a sanctioned competition was a High .4 (I thought that was very good by the way)
The best way to hush the crowd would be to bring any of these rifles to a competition and compete, There are three group shoots this year at Rosebud. June 7-8 ,June 28-29,and Aug 2-3. The June 7-8 shoot is an unlimited shoot ,so this may be the best opportunity as there are no weight restrictions on the rifle, these are all BRSC sanctioned matches so everyone is on a level playing field. I would encourage anyone that is interested in competing in or learning about precision accuracy to attend.
A popular phrase in br is "if it did not happen at a match it did not happen" I have shot lots of low 1's and zero's at the range on practice days with witnesses, unfortunately it means nothing, its all just talk until you hear "commence fire " at a real match.
sorry to all for getting off topic. hope that helps clarify
Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM

There you go MM, go to Rosebud and prove it with backers on and witnesses there.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
There you go MM, go to Rosebud and prove it with backers on and witnesses there.
Yup as the whole world revolves around what happens at Rosebud
Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
If rosebud is unsuitable there are some sanctioned shoots in Selkirk as well . The Cactus is in 3 weeks if you like the warmer weather make a trip out of it and take the wife there is lots for everyone to do. If you were to shoot a .2 agg with a .308 in Phoenix it would turn the shooting world upside down, it would be very cool ! also Tacoma will have the sniper king in late June and it's again an unlimited so weight will not be an issue .
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
He is trying to slam a company for charging prices he thinks are unreasonable and that he may not be able to afford would be my guess.
I wouldn't call it a slam. He is pointing out that some companies charge more than others for similar products and services. That doesn't mean they are bad companies. Sometimes you get what you pay for in service, warranty, customer support, etc, when you pay more for a product or service than another company would charge.

Guys that can afford to pay high prices usually don't get that way by throwing their money away If they are paying higher prices, it's because they think they're getting something more than another lower-priced company would provide. To some, it all boils down to the all-mighty dollar. To others, they consider service, warranty/after-purchase support, quality of product, lead time of service, etc, when they consider the purchase price.

Regarding the OP's question, I'm definitely in favour of supporting local business whenever possible. Jury or Smith will get my next barrel order.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Default small groups happen...

Quote:
When there are moving backers and someone else measuring the groups - like at Selkirk or Rosebud those .2 grouping rifles turn out to be a different story. They shoot great, just not consistently in the .2's

Is there somewhere I can go to see better groups shot at 100 or 200yds in Alberta than the Rosebud range... I would go there to shoot...
Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman99 View Post
When there are moving backers and someone else measuring the groups - like at Selkirk or Rosebud those .2 grouping rifles turn out to be a different story. They shoot great, just not consistently in the .2's

Is there somewhere I can go to see better groups shot at 100 or 200yds in Alberta than the Rosebud range... I would go there to shoot...
Options for people who just want to watch? I think it would be great to view the event. Maybe grow interest in competing too!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:19 PM

Forgive me as I crawl out from under my rock but who is distributing the Jury Barrels? I could use a couple for spring projects.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 PM

I believe he sells direct at this time. Could be wrong.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM

bob jury- 403-302-3005
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Options for people who just want to watch? I think it would be great to view the event. Maybe grow interest in competing too!
Spectators are always welcome at the matches, there are usually some spotting scopes set up as well. its a great way to check out precision br shooting. if your interested check out the schedule above or on Benchrest.ca
or contact Rick Pollock at rickpollock@shaw.ca
as for Barrels
out of the barrels I tested and competed with last year here would be the ranking
Bartliens ,kriegers Mclennons ,agg'ed the best, with shilen close behind .
ordered a barrel from Ted to try this year since I have seen some of his barrels at matches and they seem competitive .I have not seen any Jury or Smith barrels in competition so can not comment on them.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:35 PM

Default Jury

Just placed an order with Mister Jury for a 32" 375 calaber gain twist 1-12" to 1-7" to make a 375 warloard !! And off to the 2 mile shoot next year with the Jury .
The top components and a master machinists give you a rifle that is trued and precise !! It's what you expect and that takes time . I value the time , of each person time who went into every component . A hand lapped barrel speaks for its self !!! In this time period we are in.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
Just placed an order with Mister Jury for a 32" 375 calaber gain twist 1-12" to 1-7" to make a 375 warloard !! And off to the 2 mile shoot next year with the Jury .
The top components and a master machinists give you a rifle that is trued and precise !! It's what you expect and that takes time . I value the time , of each person time who went into every component . A hand lapped barrel speaks for its self !!! In this time period we are in.
Best of luck in your 2 mile shoot with the Jury barrel fenceline. I doubt that it will let you down. My 6BR barrel from him is superb and I doubt that I'd look elsewhere for my next build.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:58 PM

I have 5 Jury barrels and three from Ron Smith.
Both do single point cut rifling. Only Ron Smith will do a gain twist. Both make Super barrels. Ted Gaillard also makes an excellent button rifled barrel. Whatever your preference, you can't go wrong with any of them. They are as good as any Lilja, Kreiger or Pac-Nor I have ever had. .. and going Canadian is much cheaper and faster these days as well.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:17 PM

KS ARMS in Edm is back making cut rifled barrels again.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Since my first reply to this post I have used many of Bob Jury's barrels and they have all turned out top notch, don't hesitate to contact him regarding your next barrel blank purchase. David.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Another option I'd like to mention is JC Custom barrels in NB, I have a couple barrels from him and his work is top notch.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
I am pretty sure they are around the $450 range. I too have a bob jury barrel on my 6.5/06. It shoots better than I can. I would not hesitate to buy another. I've met bob too, seems like a real great guy. Smarter than I am! He built all of his machines he uses to build the barrels. Showed me a picture of his rifling machine. The guy is a genius.

Tone
If you go to pick up your barrel he'll give you a tour of the shop and explain it all. Great guy, does good work, I have three of his barrels.
To the OP, as mentioned above Bob makes cut rifled barrels, he will do whatever contour, length and twist you want - though I can't say that I know of him doing a gain twist.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 PM

Ive done 6 builds with jury barrels great results and great guy.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 PM

Default Competition shooting Standard

the .308 was the gold standard of Bench rest shooting for alot of years. There is a reason it was used so widely used.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSharp View Post
Another option I'd like to mention is JC Custom barrels in NB, I have a couple barrels from him and his work is top notch.
Absolutely right.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:14 AM

I like quite a few am also using a Jury Barrel in 308 with great success, I would also recommend Bob Jury to anyone who wants a quality made barrel in Canada.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:04 AM

Another plus is you wont find a faster turnaround time for a custom spec barrel than Jury he builds what you need in 6 weeks or less
Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
KS ARMS in Edm is back making cut rifled barrels again.
Using local is important to me. Is KS Arms good at building quality barrels?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Using local is important to me. Is KS Arms good at building quality barrels?
I have used Cdn made barrels by Gaillard, Jury, and KSA ... all good, and I doubt I could tell the downrange difference if I didn't know which was on the gun on a particular day. Last time I checked with KSA, estimated wait time was a month.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:35 AM

I'll voted for the Jury custom barrels.