Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM

Default Top super match grade Canadian barrel maker ??

#1 I'm looking at buying a super match grade barrel,and
With so many makers to choose from , I wanna stick
With Canadian made, , so who makes the best barrels in Canada??
IYHO

#2 who would be the best in Alberta/BC/Sask for doing
Gun smithing ?? IYHO

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. (Mark twain)

if you don't have the time to do it right now,
how you gonna find time to do it right later !!!!!
(truck window)
Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Ron Smith (Alberta) or Ted Galliard (Sask) are two with great reviews.

I have had Corlanes / Rocky Mountain Rifles in Dawson Creek, BC do some custom work for me and have been very happy. Last project was a 338-06AI with a PacNor-supermatch grade stainless barrel on a Sako m75 Greywolf.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Bob Jury, Red Deer.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Bob Jury, Red Deer.
Ok, so I've never heard of the guy. Lets hear his curriculum vitae, since I may be in the market for a new barrel.

Grizz
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 AM

Macleanen in Ontario, Galliard in Sask. both button rifled makers.

Smith in Alberta is cut rifled, there is a new chap in New Brunswick that is making cut rifled barrels, only in .22 and 6mm for now.

All the above are world class, only Ron Smith will make exactly what you want in virtually any twist (even gain twist) or calibre.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 AM

Mick McPhee's 30 calibre barrels win matches as well.
Cat
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Bob Jury, Red Deer.
X2....I have a Jury barrel on my 260imp.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...d+ready&page=1

LC
Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Bob Jury barrels are among the best, cut rifled with very smooth interiors. Have them on a couple of match rifles, more are on order.

For barrel fitting and gunsmith work, Custom Gunworx. Bob is an F-class target shooter and a hunter.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Can any tell me the average price of a jury barrel? Looking for a #6 fluted at 26-27".

Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Default jury prices

I am pretty sure they are around the $450 range. I too have a bob jury barrel on my 6.5/06. It shoots better than I can. I would not hesitate to buy another. I've met bob too, seems like a real great guy. Smarter than I am! He built all of his machines he uses to build the barrels. Showed me a picture of his rifling machine. The guy is a genius.

Tone
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Ted gaillard does fine work, his barrels are quite popular nation wide. Mr Smith builds a decent barrel as well, can't remember the user on here but had him build a barrel out of rebar that won a match.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Ted gaillard does fine work, his barrels are quite popular nation wide. Mr Smith builds a decent barrel as well, can't remember the user on here but had him build a barrel out of rebar that won a match.
Single shot Tom
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM

The most accurate Canadian barrel I ever installed was from Rob McClennan; a long time ago. I would imagine he still makes good barrels. The barrel which was the most perfect, visibly and dimensionally, was from Ron Smith. I have installed some Gaillards and they were excellent. I have not used one of Bob Jury's barrels as of yet. Leeper
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 PM

What kind of shooting are you looking to do ? That will help . Are you looking to compete(local club stuff or big matches,if so what discipline) ,fun target shooting , varmint or hunting .
That will have a bearing on what to look for .different barrel makers are known in different disciplines.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Barrels

I have never had any troubles using either RKS or Ted Gillaird barrels, I have also heard good things about Jury barrels but dont have any personal experience fitting one of these thus far. I think that the most consistently accurate barrel that I have fitted was made by Broughton in the U.S. but Canadian manufacture is just as good if installed by a fussy workman. David Henry.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Gunsmith

I would highly recommend having the work done by Don Thompson out of Holden Alberta.
I have seen a few of his custom made rifles and they are top notch. He is a custom gun maker and works out of his house. Anyone east of edmonton that is in the shooting/hunting community probably knows him and his work and will vouch for him any day of the week. One of my buddies had a custom 340 weatherby mag built by Don, and It is one of the nicest lookin/shooting and accurate rifles i have seen. Cheers, Dudes2010

HOLDEN PRECISION
Don Thompson
ph. 780-688-3425
e-mail... holdenprecision@gmail.com
Custom guns..
Stockwork..
rebarreling
rechambering
bedding
muzzle brakes...
hot Bluing
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Bob Jury barrels are among the best, cut rifled with very smooth interiors. Have them on a couple of match rifles, more are on order.

For barrel fitting and gunsmith work, Custom Gunworx. Bob is an F-class target shooter and a hunter.
Definately agree.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 PM

Default really depends on what you're looking for

There are a number of different kinds of shooting and I would recommend different barrel makers for the different kinds of shooting.

For someone to chamber the barrel for you there are a couple of questions to be answered as well:
1) custom action by who?
2) if common factory - will the action be "trued" and that's a huge variety of operations as I don't re-drill my Remington firing pins to make sure the hole is in the center of the bolt face but I've paid people to do it, true the receiver, bolt raceways, locking lugs, shim the bolt or replace it with an oversize bolt body... this all takes me more time than its worth, but as I'm an accuracy
nut I have my own lathe and do these things
3) how heavy is the trigger - if it's above 3 lbs none of this matters

Super match grade - will you neck turn brass, what cartridge... its hard to find super match grade bullets in Canada...

I'm excited for you - hope you get what you're looking for. The chambering and how much "truing" is done to your action will likely have more impact than which custom barrel you acquire.

Last edited by iceman99; 02-18-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM

In our quest to make an ALL Canadian made rifle, we just finished testing 1 of Bob Jurys barrels.
Installed on 1 of our actions, chambered in 308 with Federal GMM factory ammo it shot .4 to .5 groups consistently, with hand loads we were able to achieve .2, 5 shot groups.
Based on this experience i can see using many more of his barrels.
Over the years we have used a good number of Ron Smiths barrels and have experienced excellent results with them too.

I would not hesitate to use either in any rifle where accuracy is required.
Given that we guarantee no worse than 1/2 MOA groups it would not be in our best interests to use barrels that can not exceed our guarantee of accuracy.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM

What are the wait times on the makers these days.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMachine View Post
In our quest to make an ALL Canadian made rifle, we just finished testing 1 of Bob Jurys barrels.
Installed on 1 of our actions, chambered in 308 with Federal GMM factory ammo it shot .4 to .5 groups consistently, with hand loads we were able to achieve .2, 5 shot groups.
Based on this experience i can see using many more of his barrels.
Over the years we have used a good number of Ron Smiths barrels and have experienced excellent results with them too.

I would not hesitate to use either in any rifle where accuracy is required.
Given that we guarantee no worse than 1/2 MOA groups it would not be in our best interests to use barrels that can not exceed our guarantee of accuracy.
Thanks for the info, this reinforces the experience I have had from my Jury barrel.

LC
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM

Default barrel wait times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknaked333 View Post
What are the wait times on the makers these days.
Last ones I got from Ted G were ~4 months. That was this spring.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM

consistent .2 five shot groups would be pretty awesome for a .308,I would think that would be an anomaly and not the norm even with hand loads, groups like that would win most bench rest group shoots. .4-.5 would be more common(still very good)
without knowing what the op is expecting the rifle to do its hard to give an opinion, if your looking for the "best" my suggestion would be don't limit your self to Canadian only, try them all and draw your own conclusion, the top br shooters are oblivious to borders they want the best no matter where it comes from.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMachine View Post
Name of shop?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM

260 Rem. That would be Alberta tactical out of Calgary.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
260 Rem. That would be Alberta tactical out of Calgary.
Ya for 3 times the money of anybody else. Barrel just pick one a sleeper stated they all shoot. I think what you are looking for you might look at all makers in North America.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
Ya for 3 times the money of anybody else. Barrel just pick one a sleeper stated they all shoot. I think what you are looking for you might look at all makers in North America.
not very good at soduku or other riddlesome games, please explain your post. lee
Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW223 View Post
consistent .2 five shot groups would be pretty awesome for a .308,I would think that would be an anomaly and not the norm even with hand loads, groups like that would win most bench rest group shoots. .4-.5 would be more common(still very good)
without knowing what the op is expecting the rifle to do its hard to give an opinion, if your looking for the "best" my suggestion would be don't limit your self to Canadian only, try them all and draw your own conclusion, the top br shooters are oblivious to borders they want the best no matter where it comes from.
I disagree. Both of my competition 308s along with both of my sons 308s along with most of the other rifles we build from scratch in 308 as well as many other calibers deliver this sort of accuracy. Should you have doubts we would be happy to provide a solution.
It all boils down to top quality components and craftsmanship. Every full custom rifle we build is built to BR specs.

While the majority of high quality barrels and even actions do come out of the USA, there are several Canadian manufacturers who can certainly match the quality of anything made in a foreign country.
The best part of supporting Canadian is that it keeps the industry IN Canada rather than killing it further. Canada USED to have powder and primers as well as other products firearms related, but over the last 25 years most of the business has moved to other countries, not because of foreign made being better but because of a lacking of support from within Canada.

I don't know if you have noticed, but powder and bullets are getting hard comeby the last 2 years. Would it not be nice if we were not as dependent on foreign made everything?
Only way to encourage more local supply is to support local supply.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
not very good at soduku or other riddlesome games, please explain your post. lee
He is trying to slam a company for charging prices he thinks are unreasonable and that he may not be able to afford would be my guess.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM

consistent .2 groups from several .308's? I doubt that very much.