Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Haha, So many different opinions. For the record I drive a 3/4 GMC.

IF YOU WANT A TIRE THAT LASTS, very good on gravel, decent in mud, ok in winter, ok for highway noise, then look into a set of TOYO M55's. I was sick of only getting 50,000km out of offroad and all-season tires. You will get a TON of mileage out of TOYO M55's. They are a harder compound rubber and don't wear as fast.

I have put over 80,000km hunting, fishing, and highway roads on my set right now. About 30% tread left. Zero issues with leaks, sidewalls, etc.
Yes i agree, but remember his wife is drving it in winter...these tires have very shallow sipes that wear out quickly to the best of my recollection - not gonna be very fun on snow and ice...and besides its a 1/4 ton SUV not a 1 ton truck....
Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 PM

I don't like the regular Nokian truck tires that I had. Wore out too fast and were terrible in mud. Also didn't find them too dependable of a tire in regards to flats. The MTs are the only Nokian truck tire I would ever recomend, and like I mentioned earlier I don't think they will be a high mileage tire. Used the Toyo m55's and they worked good on gravel and really lasted. Weren't the best on snow and were only OK on mud. This is all on a one ton crew cab with an 8 foot box.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 PM

Default wranglers

just put on a xset of duelerss ]ridgestone qiuet not sure yet how they'll perform in the winter had wranglers ats got 119000kms out of them but by the end the thumping and loudness was real bad love the truck just like the day I bought it with the new tires costco cheep
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM

I had a set of Goodyear MTRs on a 03 GMC 2500HD Duramax and was pretty happy with them. They weren't too loud, excellent in mud, very good in snow and very good on both highway and gravel. The only thing was I only got about 65K on them but winter was coming so I switched them out and sold the truck.
Don't get Yokahama Geolandars, they are mediocre in most conditions and wear like crazy, I hated them.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 AM

I've yet to see a better tire then goodyears silent armor. They're excellent in the winter, more then capable in the mud, quiet and wear well.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Default Go to tirerack.com

For the last couple of years the Firestone Destination AT has been ranked number 1 or 2. Have them on the Tahoe and they work great. Best bang for the buck in an all terrain tire. Tirerack.com has lots of tire info.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:12 PM

Id like to jump start this thread and see what current opinions are on Winter off road tires.

Trying to decide between BF K02s, Duratracs, and ComforserCF3000s mainly.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Duratrac's
Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 PM

I like the duratracs. I think I would get another set. Only have 30000km on mine but they've worn well and are around 80% tread left. Not the best on glare ice but I really don't expect them to be. They seem great in mud and snow. I pull a heavy 29' trailer quite a bit and they don't complain about it. No road noise yet either.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:24 PM

BF Goodrich All terrain TKO 2

See Craig at Integra Tire in Sherwood Park
Old 01-13-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson6111 View Post
Id like to jump start this thread and see what current opinions are on Winter off road tires.

Trying to decide between BF K02s, Duratracs, and ComforserCF3000s mainly.
Got lots of flats with the Duratracs. Then switched to a new set of Wranglers. Good on the wife's vehicle, so I put some on a truck. Then lots of flats. If you are on gravel or trail they have soft sidewalls, and the tread face doesn't seem much more durable.

Wranglers on a couple of company trucks also, and they get flats, too.

The Duratracs and Wranglers are decent on snow and ice though. This winter for the wife's vehicle we went with dedicated snow tires.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Bf Goodrich all terrains. Had them on an FJ Cruiser and they were really good. Winter rated (snowflake) and great in all types of road conditions. Had over 90k on them when I traded the FJ in, and I have the newer version of these (ko2) on my truck now.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Got lots of flats with the Duratracs. Then switched to a new set of Wranglers. Good on the wife's vehicle, so I put some on a truck. Then lots of flats. If you are on gravel or trail they have soft sidewalls, and the tread face doesn't seem much more durable.

Wranglers on a couple of company trucks also, and they get flats, too.

The Duratracs and Wranglers are decent on snow and ice though. This winter for the wife's vehicle we went with dedicated snow tires.
That's strange. We had duratracs on all of our fleet trucks for years and never had a flat. I have to wonder if it has something to do with the gravel composition where you are?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM

I run Dick Cepek fun country. I had them on my Dodge mega cab, 130,000 kilometers they lasted for, I am a service rig consultant so I drive all road conditions, I bought a 2015 F-350 platinum put the fun country on, right now I have 158,000 kilometers on the tires and have 30,000 kilometers or so before I have to put another set on, good on ice, snow, great in the mud, I also hunt and fish every chance I get when I am not working, worth looking at!!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
After so many ppl pushing me to put on Good Year Duratracs on my truck I finally caved and did in March. Theres not a whole lot of products I recommend because I am 100% satsified, but I'll recommend these tires to anyone. They are snow rated too
I run these on my F350 and they are awesome
Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 AM

i run the BFG KO2 tires and am impressed with how good they wear and the traction they have.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
BF Goodrich All terrain TKO 2

See Craig at Integra Tire in Sherwood Park
Just put these on my Jeep 4dr. JK and I like them a lot. A little more slippery on ice than my stock Goodyear Wrangler were , but still pretty good.
Good for off-road and snow also.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:21 PM

The KO's wear quite well unless you run gravel, mine needed a rebalance after just a few runs on the lease roads. The thread design is very similar to the KO2's and was less than stellar on wet or icy. I run several sets of Cooper Discoverer M/S.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Yes i agree, but remember his wife is drving it in winter...these tires have very shallow sipes that wear out quickly to the best of my recollection - not gonna be very fun on snow and ice...and besides its a 1/4 ton SUV not a 1 ton truck....
You will NOT find a tire that is an ultimate winter ice, cold weather, snow tire that is also long wearing and a great off road tire for hunting season. The very best winter tires are too soft and throw rocks like a machine gun. The best off road tires are harder, too last on gravel and pulling weight with heavy trucks, and they have large open lugs to clear mud, all of which is bad for ice and winter traction.

The best compromise tires I ever used were BFG mud terrains that I had heavily siped at Kal Tire. Great ice, snow traction and tremendous off road performance, last about 80,000. At $350 a skin siped they are pretty expensive.

If you want an off the shelf great compromise tire the Dura Trac is hard to beat. It is what I have bought the last two times, $185 a skin and last about 100,000 Klms,) and what I will replace this set with. Just make sure you put 5,000 Klms on them before taking them on gravel because otherwise they spit rocks really bad. Weakest area is stopping on shear ice, other than that great life and traction in all other conditions.

The other compromise choice you have given the type of vehicle you are running is the Nokia WR2 for SUVs. (About $275 a skin) It has the MS and Snowflake rating, is great on ice and snow and works well on dry pavement and wet roads. Air them up a little and they even play Ricky Road Race in the mountains just great. If you use it a lot on gravel it will wear pretty fast. I use these on my daily driver and am on my third set.

Otherwise get yourself a set of Nokia Hakkipilatas for winter (we run these year round on my wife's 4runner but it doesn't get any severe off road use) and a max performance off road tire for hunting.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 PM

We have the BFG AT/KO2s on the Tundra. They've been great on everything but ice.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
We have the BFG AT/KO2s on the Tundra. They've been great on everything but ice.
Not being smart but most every off road style truck tire is great on everything BUT ICE. Ice is what defines a true winter tire. Very Soft rubber that stays soft in extreme cold, fine closed lug tread, embedded traction material, sipes and lots of them and a large contact patch is what makes tires good one ice. Pretty much the opposite of what it takes for good traction on everything else. It is why I say you can't get an ultimate winter tire that is also a good summer and off road tire.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Not being smart but most every off road style truck tire is great on everything BUT ICE. Ice is what defines a true winter tire. Very Soft rubber that stays soft in extreme cold, fine closed lug tread, embedded traction material, sipes and lots of them and a large contact patch is what makes tires good one ice. Pretty much the opposite of what it takes for good traction on everything else. It is why I say you can't get an ultimate winter tire that is also a good summer and off road tire.

Yup, Agreed.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
That's strange. We had duratracs on all of our fleet trucks for years and never had a flat. I have to wonder if it has something to do with the gravel composition where you are?
I don't know. Maybe just a little more debris? I had one flat with one of the Wranglers where I rolled through a little mud hole down a rough road, and came out the other side with a 2" gash on the other side. Didn't see anything obvious, so I suspect it was a sharp rock.

On the company trucks, there was a couple slow leaks. That could be partly because of cheap alloy wheels, or a bit of rubber on the bead that wasn't cleaned off when mounting new tires.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The best choice is changing over to "winter tires" for winter. I understand it is more expensive, but once you do, you will never go back.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Kelly MT. great offroad traction, and awesome on ice and snow.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagelh View Post
I like the duratracs. I think I would get another set. Only have 30000km on mine but they've worn well and are around 80% tread left. Not the best on glare ice but I really don't expect them to be. They seem great in mud and snow. I pull a heavy 29' trailer quite a bit and they don't complain about it. No road noise yet either.
Duratracs are what I put on this winter. Been very happy with them on my GMC. I've found them fine on ice, quite aggressive treads that should be good in mud as well. I don't plan to run them in summer however. I'll put my all-season's back on for that.

My son just did a ton of research and decided on Bridgestone Blizzaks for his truck. (also have them on our Subaru) They aren't as aggressive for mud, etc. but he does a lot of highway commuting and they are highly rated for packed snow and ice. Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ice usually come out on top in any tests of snow tires on packed snow and ice.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:38 PM

TOYO Open Country MT, The best of the best, mud, snow ice. They will not disappoint you
Old 01-20-2017, 07:06 PM

Hilarious. If my wife said she wanted winter tires, she'd get winter tires. Buy the tires you want for hunting. Then put on her tires once hunting is over.

All my tires are Nokian. Great on my hunting truck but I'm careful not to get stuck. The best tires can get stuck, it's the driver that avoids it that matters.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbrock View Post
TOYO Open Country MT, The best of the best, mud, snow ice. They will not disappoint you
Ice ?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbrock View Post
That's rich! Utterly laughable actually. Those tires with that compound and one sipe per blocky tread would suck royally on ice. I take it that you've never driven on a quality dedicated winter tire before that you have a comparison of what good who get tires are capable of? If you had, that would not be your answer. Mud, sure. Ice and snow: nope, nope.