Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Default Tires

Anyone recommend a good tire that's both good for off roading and for winter? Just got a 2000 Nissan Xterra that needs tires and will be used as my hunting truck this fall but is also the wifes everyday vehicle. She wants winter tires and I don't want to have to buy two different sets.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM

What size of tire do you want? What's on there now?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM

I really like my Nokian MT's. I didn't think they'd be too good for winter, but I've been very impressed. The downside to the reason they're good I think is because they are quite soft. They seem to be wearing fairly quick for the mileage on them. A tad noisy, but you'll learn to appreciate that once you see these things dig off road.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Hankook Dynapro ATMs have been great for me on ice and off-road and gravel. I'm running the BF Goodrich A/T right now due to the pricing I got them at. I seem to think that the Hankooks were better on ice though.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM

x2 on the hankook ATMs...being AT tires they will suck in mud, but any mud tire is going to be poor on ice...some are downright scary - usually those without sipes like the hankook dynapro MT...I run those in a 285-70-17 and have been extremely impressed with wear, pavement noise(or lack thereof in a mud tire), and off road ability...I do however distincly recall drifting down highway 3 several times last winter when the wind blew the back end of my truck out...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Nitto terra grapplers
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM

Thumbs down No with Nitto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
Nitto terra grapplers
I have to totally disagree. I have them on my 2007 Tundra right now and I can't wait until they wear out so I can get a set of Nokians on it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Another vote for Nokian vativa (sp) M/T tires. Very pleased with them in mud and they perform better than I had hoped on winter roads. A bit on the noisy side and do seem to wear faster than I'd like, but how they perform off road is well worth it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM

After so many ppl pushing me to put on Good Year Duratracs on my truck I finally caved and did in March. Theres not a whole lot of products I recommend because I am 100% satsified, but I'll recommend these tires to anyone. They are snow rated too
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Interesting that so many like the nokians...I personally hated the ones that came with my truck...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 PM

x3 on the Hankook Dynapro ATM , great tires , have a few friends that use them, just got mine last month!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Don't see the size we need on the Hankook dynapro. We need 265/70R15. They don't make them for a 15" tire.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 PM

i think the mickey thompson baja ATZ's are worth a look.
i have them on my dodge 3/4 ton in 35 in. they are quite quiet when you compare them to other aggresive tires out there.

really deep tread and atleast they have some sipe on them. one of the better looking all terrain tires out there aswell.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Have a look at Goodyear wangler authorities. I think they are walmart tires. My buddy put them on his dodge 1/2tonne and I'm very impressed with where those tires have been through and the wear on them is very good and not much road noise. Crappy tire has the same tires called the territories. They are worth a look
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 PM

tsr safaris aren't bad... also fierce tires are good if they still make me??
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 PM

Ill second the duratracs. I may have bashed then in other threads but they were on a 1 ton that i towed quit a bit with. When winter rolls around i will be buying a studded set. They are a decent mud tire and a good winter tire. I found them better as a winter tire than a mud tire, but again i had them on a 10,000 lbs diesel. I dont think you would be dissapointed on a small gas jobbie
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Ill second the duratracs. I may have bashed then in other threads but they were on a 1 ton that i towed quit a bit with. When winter rolls around i will be buying a studded set. They are a decent mud tire and a good winter tire. I found them better as a winter tire than a mud tire, but again i had them on a 10,000 lbs diesel. I dont think you would be dissapointed on a small gas jobbie
mine are on a 3/4 diesel and are wearing surprisngly well. And I agree, better in snow than mud, but they are still amazing in mud. I see tons of patch trucks with them now. Place I got them from said the biggest local patch business in town switched to duratracs for their entire fleet and everyone loves them
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 AM

Default Bfg

I would suggest BRD allterrain TA's. Youll get good life outta em and they are good in snow and mud, So far these are the best tires Iv had when its real cold and you are driving to the lake for icefishing.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 AM

Haha, So many different opinions. For the record I drive a 3/4 GMC.

IF YOU WANT A TIRE THAT LASTS, very good on gravel, decent in mud, ok in winter, ok for highway noise, then look into a set of TOYO M55's. I was sick of only getting 50,000km out of offroad and all-season tires. You will get a TON of mileage out of TOYO M55's. They are a harder compound rubber and don't wear as fast.

I have put over 80,000km hunting, fishing, and highway roads on my set right now. About 30% tread left. Zero issues with leaks, sidewalls, etc.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 AM

As some others pointed out the Duratracs have been getting pretty good reviews. I personally can't vouche for them though....
Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 AM

Default Silent armor

Have a look at the Goodyear silent armors, very practical tire for the Alberta climate. Plus your wife will feel comfortable in the winter with them. They are not mud tires but lock it in 4wheel and it should get you where you need without having to give up highway and ice comfort and traction
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 AM

Goodyear territory awesome tires I've had them on 3 trucks and just love them
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
After so many ppl pushing me to put on Good Year Duratracs on my truck I finally caved and did in March. Theres not a whole lot of products I recommend because I am 100% satsified, but I'll recommend these tires to anyone. They are snow rated too
x2 been saying this for a few years now!! Great tire. If you done want as aggressive, maybe the Silent Armour model or the Yokohoma Geolanders.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Haha, So many different opinions. For the record I drive a 3/4 GMC.

IF YOU WANT A TIRE THAT LASTS, very good on gravel, decent in mud, ok in winter, ok for highway noise, then look into a set of TOYO M55's. I was sick of only getting 50,000km out of offroad and all-season tires. You will get a TON of mileage out of TOYO M55's. They are a harder compound rubber and don't wear as fast.

I have put over 80,000km hunting, fishing, and highway roads on my set right now. About 30% tread left. Zero issues with leaks, sidewalls, etc.
They are by far the longest lasting tires I have ran on a diesel truck (and I've tried a lot of different brands). Will never buy anthing but
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
x2 been saying this for a few years now!! Great tire. If you done want as aggressive, maybe the Silent Armour model or the Yokohoma Geolanders.
On the GY Duratracs, I have 77k on my 2500HD CC and drive 60/40 pavement /gravel. Should easily get 90K+. We run them on all our trucks. best we got was 115k and would of had more but winter was upon us and it wasnt worth running in those conditions. Least amount was 83k but the tire wore funny due to a bent wheel my guy never told me about.

As mentioned, these tires have the snowflake for the winter tire rating. You can even stud them as they are pre-drilled for studs.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM

I had a set of 315 70 17 dura's on my Gmc duramax and at first they were great until
30 thousand k on them then the face started to were off fast ended up slicing the face while driving out to cutoff and got stranded kind kinda hard to buy something that has put me down. I got toyo mt on and fairly happy but going put bfg on next
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM

If you don't mind the look of the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor sidewalls, they are an excellent winter tire and you'll do fine going off the pavement. It's a great tire in all conditions and will stand up to wear. The tread has a nice look to it in my opinion. I bought a set for my mom's '08/09 Chev Silverado and I certainly wouldn't slap any old pos tire on a vehicle I'm trusting to keep my mom safe from sliding off the road or becoming stuck in snow.

I really like Cooper tires as well but their all-seasons aren't a superior winter traction tire in my opinion. Plus, they're kind of stingy on a variety of sizes.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 PM

we have the goodyear territories for 2 winters now, studded on a 99 tahoe. not the best tire i have ever used, and coming from canadian tire i doubt they will last 5 years, but all in all a decent tire. i was suprised this last winter that my hankook rt03's studded performed every bit as good as the territories if not better, and they have no sipes!and they dig better to boot. this winter i'll be also running a set of general grabber at2's studded on the one truck, and can hardly wait to try them on ice. they were $608 for a set of 4(not studded), 235/85/16 e rated, shipped to my american address. the hankooks cost me $756 for 4 235/85/16s. we cross the border for the weekend and bring them back tax free. gotta love tire sales! for next summer, i would like a set of thornbirds....
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM

in the same situation here, the duratracs are perfectly acceptable for 75% of alberta.
but im after something thats a dedicated studded winter only use.
the problem is that a long wearing tire isnt worth krap in winter, the softer the better and it needs to have a tread pattern for water, not an open cleated treadface (like duratrac).
a winter tire shouldnt have along life.
i have Getslavd nordfrosts on the SUV and the car and they are rediculasly grippy. but i dont think they make them for load range E, really limits the options.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 PM

Cooper ST-max, used to be the ST-C.