Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 PM

I think those worm infested nags would make great wolf bait. I know a fella that has caught horses for the government. He said he would have to hide his truck and trailer to keep the tree huggers from putting crap in his fuel tank and loosening off tires.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post
I believe you can buy horse meat at Ben's Deli in Edmonton along Stony Plain Road.
Yes I am pretty sure that's where I tried it from. It was smoked ànd then sliced thin like a lunch meat. It was so tender.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
My God, aren't we blood thirsty. Nothing wrong with turning some into steaks and roasts, but there are those that would make good riding horses , way better than some from sophisticated breeding programs. Logical would be to remove a percentage every year, for disposition either way, but logic doesn't apply in this game.

Grizz
X2

Getting a young feral horse and breaking it for the saddle makes good sense. Don't think you could break an older wild horse too easily though. There is a round up program where wild horses are adopted out or sold for pleasure or slaughter. Not sure how successful the program is.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1812318/ad...p-led-capture/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-22-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
How bout letting the natives in and wipe them out to feed their masses instead of hitting the wintering Bighorns?
Wont work nube , they wouldnt want em cause horns are too small and they'd have nothing to gloat over ..
Old 01-22-2017, 07:29 AM

The economy keeps going the way it is due to the government that's in power and then wanting to phase out the oil sands the people will probably start shooting them for food regardless.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Wont work nube , they wouldnt want em cause horns are too small and they'd have nothing to gloat over ..
There's that line your crossing!!!

Id be more inclined to think/say that they may not like to eat them for the same reasons white people dont want to eat them, whatever those are. Mods should have deleted your post.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post

Id be more inclined to think/say that they may not like to eat them for the same reasons white people dont want to eat them, whatever those are. Mods should have deleted your post.
Not true at all. The reason white guys are not eating them is because nobody legally can shoot them. I'd give it a go if i could. I know where there are a bunch of them between hinton and Rob. I saw more horses than Grizz deer and elk put together when I was Grizz hunting for 3 weeks there....... Nothing but piles of horse crap all over the lease roads as well.....
Old 01-22-2017, 12:48 PM

Nordegg river road has a few dozen.
I would never shoot a horse, thats just strange to me. I find them majestic and peaceful survivors.

Shooting one? Sorry, again, dont get it.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:54 PM

I would arrow a horse lots of good meat ! Had a few horse steaks at my neighbours a few yrs back he was belgium and ate horse all the time.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Banned

They should all be shot. Period.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
They should all be shot. Period.

Sorry I am not looking for debate, just wondering your angle on this. These horses are a problem? I am green with knowledge on the adverse effects of wild horses. Again, educational, not confrontational.
I would not shoot one as I would not eat it and it has no trophy value, to me.
No issues to anyone shooting anything legal at all.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:35 PM

I believe all feral animals need to be kept in check. South of the border things are out of control with feral burrows,also protected for some reason. They should be shot or rounded up , whatever way doesn't cost the tax payers anything. IMO
Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Not true at all. The reason white guys are not eating them is because nobody legally can shoot them.
In addition to that white guys have become picky fussy eaters. Some of us do not like heart and liver and blood and fat which are the most nutritious parts of an animal. Some prefer lean muscle cuts which are the least nutritious. For sure I would eat horse if it was readily available.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Nordegg river road has a few dozen.
I would never shoot a horse, thats just strange to me. I find them majestic and peaceful survivors.

Shooting one? Sorry, again, dont get it.
I find them a bit majestic as well but the term peaceful survivors might include introduced species like sparrows, starlings and dandilions
Old 01-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I find them a bit majestic as well but the term peaceful survivors might include introduced species like sparrows, starlings and dandilions

Dang dandelions. Gotcha. But arent they pretty when they are yellow.
Good point. But arent they native?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 PM

horses are not native to North America, they were originally left here by the spanish and other expeditions as at that time it was cheaper than to ship them back and feed them along the way.

funny, they were used as a weapon then (sort of) and now the american army leaves its weapons back in iraq and Yemen because its too expensive to ship back

history, gotta love it.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Default ok

this whole ordeal and situation with feral horses is a bit in the grey area and outa control .. fact is , they are escapes and I would really like to know if this new classification of them makes them free game ... are there real laws in place now to protect feral horses , will be getting challenged soon ... they don't belong or have the right to be out there any more than your pet donkey getting lose ...

we have control measures for pests ..

Last edited by Rio56; 01-22-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post

Mods don't delete racist comment towards natives on this forum unfortunately.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
this whole ordeal and situation with feral horses is a bit in the grey area and outa control .. fact is , they are escapes and I would really like to know if this new classification of them makes them free game ... are there real laws in place now to protect feral horses , will be getting challenged soon ... they don't belong or have the right to be out there any more than your pet donkey getting lose ...

we have control measures for pests ..
The horses have about as much right as the rainbow fish we stock and the crops we grow. All are introduced species. Even most people are introduced... weekend warriors, outdoor enthusiasts and the urbanites are not native to the Alberta foothills.

Boy are we lucky that the camels let go by a couple of gold miners in BC in the 1800's didn't take root.

"Look back at our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to it's source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of the horse." unknown
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-22-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The horses have about as much right as the rainbow fish we stock and the crops we grow. All are introduced species. Even most people are introduced... weekend warriors, outdoor enthusiasts and the urbanites are not native to the Alberta foothills.

Boy are we lucky that the camels let go by a couple of gold miners in BC in the 1800's didn't take root.
pretty simple back at ya ... two wrongs don't make a right !!! so take a nap .. feral horses don't belong ... stay on topic.. did you release donkey's by chance
Old 01-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
pretty simple back at ya ... two wrongs don't make a right !!! so take a nap .. feral horses don't belong ... stay on topic.. did you release donkey's by chance
I didn't release any donkeys.

On topic...OK. I'd eat horse any day of the week. I'd ride him home so I could butcher him close to home. And I'd tan his hide too. And I would hunt one if I needed the meat. In Alberta there is not a large enough feral horse population to support a hunt. It would be more efficient to just have a SOS (shoot on sight) order.

Looks like there is a mare contraception program around Sundre until 2019 which an injection stops the mares from conceiving. So horse numbers should keep going down. This year there is no horse round up either.

I read there was a free range herd of feral horses 160 miles north of Lloydminster in Saskatchewan's Bronson Forest. There were about 125 animals but by 2009 someone took the incentive to shoot almost 100 of them. I wonder if the other ungulates have rebounded since 2009 ?
Old 01-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't release any donkeys.

On topic...OK. I'd eat horse any day of the week. I'd ride him home so I could butcher him close to home. And I'd tan his hide too. And I would hunt one if I needed the meat. In Alberta there is not a large enough feral horse population to support a hunt. It would be more efficient to just have a SOS (shoot on sight) order.

Looks like there is a mare contraception program around Sundre until 2019 which an injection stops the mares from conceiving. So horse numbers should keep going down. This year there is no horse round up either.

I read there was a free range herd of feral horses 160 miles north of Lloydminster in Saskatchewan's Bronson Forest. There were about 125 animals but by 2009 someone took the incentive to shoot almost 100 of them. I wonder if the other ungulates have rebounded since 2009 ?
now ther's a true red ... lol. . that's ok too .. just so you know in Alberta free hunting moose for meat may get replaced with horse ... whata think of that if there's not many feral horses in Alberta .. you may hafta buy your meat !!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
now ther's a true red ... lol. . that's ok too .. just so you know in Alberta hunting moose for meat may get replaced with horse ... whata think of that if there's not many feral horses in Alberta .. you may hafta buy your meat !!
Giddy up!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Giddy up!
LOL actually good answer and honest .. that's what brought us to this problem .... need more white bullets

Last edited by Rio56; 01-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I find them a bit majestic as well but the term peaceful survivors might include introduced species like sparrows, starlings and dandilions...
With of course the consideration that sparrows, starlings & dandelions don't destroy too much winter range for elk that is...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 01-22-2017, 06:05 PM

Grizz hunting in Alberta for 3 weeks? Hmm
Old 01-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Dang dandelions. Gotcha. But arent they pretty when they are yellow.
Good point. But arent they native?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not native! I understand they hitched a ride over here along with seed grain.
Every part of the plant is edible but hard to find some that have not been sprayed.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Shoot, next thing you guys will be calling for open season on Zebra mussels.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
With of course the consideration that sparrows, starlings & dandelions don't destroy too much winter range for elk that is...

Cheers,
Nog
My point being that so called peaceful survivors survive at the expense of another species. Our human peaceful survival has done more to push elk off their range than the horses.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I was eating at a restaurant not long ago while on a hunting trip when I overheard a few ranchers talk about the horse cull. They were having a heated debate on whether it is right or wrong. Now a few of them said they hunted the horses and ate them, which isn't surprising as I ate horse meat in Europe. I also understand the taboo that exists here with eating it.

Now, the question is if the horse cull is still going on or has it been eradicated? I have not been seeing any wild horses roaming around when I look for my quarry, and if I do see horses, I always assume they are someones.

government just announced there will not be a cull this winter.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Closed Thread