Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 12:43 AM

Default Honest advice and help!!!!

I know I don't know you guys and gals personally but I need some help and advice. No sob story .I was involved in a bad accident almost 6 years ago that changed my life. I ended up with permanent disabilities from the accident that affect my everyday life. So short and sweet I cant sit at home anymore. I have been looking for a part time job to get some meaning back into my life. I have 3 trades machinist/millwright/industrial insulator/ and CNC technician all from nait. I cant work in those anymore. I'm looking for a part time job that I'm doing something meaningful and a employer that is understanding. I get lots of interviews but that door gets closed pretty quick when I tell the truth. Trust me It's not about money. I think 99% of us on here are wired the same way. I lost pretty much everything from this except my family who stood with us. My wife went threw hell and so did our kids. But we made it. How does a 43 year old guy go from building and maintaining specialized oil/ gas equipment to entry level part time jobs with having some physical disabilities with post concussion syndrome. Whats your thoughts folks!!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:59 AM

First off, congrats for wanting to get out there and do something. I may not be able to help specifically - but I know there are those on here that certainly could point you in the right direction.

Maybe start with what you can do? Your location. Transportation situation. Hours a day you're able to comfortably work. Days per week same question.

We can probably point you in the right direction or throw out some ideas from there.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:05 AM

Look into a office called community futures. A friend who was is a severe accident went through them ad got alot of funding to put towards a new career.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 AM

Thanks guys!! I can drive and function somewhat normally. I just have limited hours. Post concussion syndrome sucks bigtime. My back and right shoulder are somewhat disabled!!!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Bailiff maybe? Flexible hours & contract-type work? Whatever you find best of luck!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 AM

Get some Saftey courses. Be a Saftey guy.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
I know I don't know you guys and gals personally but I need some help and advice. No sob story .I was involved in a bad accident almost 6 years ago that changed my life. I ended up with permanent disabilities from the accident that affect my everyday life. So short and sweet I cant sit at home anymore. I have been looking for a part time job to get some meaning back into my life. I have 3 trades machinist/millwright/industrial insulator/ and CNC technician all from nait. I cant work in those anymore. I'm looking for a part time job that I'm doing something meaningful and a employer that is understanding. I get lots of interviews but that door gets closed pretty quick when I tell the truth. Trust me It's not about money. I think 99% of us on here are wired the same way. I lost pretty much everything from this except my family who stood with us. My wife went threw hell and so did our kids. But we made it. How does a 43 year old guy go from building and maintaining specialized oil/ gas equipment to entry level part time jobs with having some physical disabilities with post concussion syndrome. Whats your thoughts folks!!
What do you mean by this....I get lots of interviews but that door gets closed pretty quick when I tell the truth.??

Maybe try reading some Behavioral based interview examples if interviews are your problem.
If telling the absolute truth is the problem, then only you can cross that bridge.
Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:51 PM

That's great that you want to get out of you dulldrum, most just let it grow like cancer, might I suggest doing a little volunteer work, if it's not about money, this often times turns into, employment positions. Go getter, good to see that there's is people like yourself out there!!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:26 PM

This is a good start. Talk to people you know and who know of your situation. Tell them how you feel and ask for some suggestions.Much like you are doing here.The more people involved the better. Separate yourself from negative people. Maybe consider a self employed position doing something you are interested in. Best of luck and baby steps
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Look into a office called community futures. A friend who was is a severe accident went through them ad got alot of funding to put towards a new career.
Their website is here: http://albertacf.com

All the best with your efforts! Not an easy road - I applaud you.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
That's great that you want to get out of you dulldrum, most just let it grow like cancer, might I suggest doing a little volunteer work, if it's not about money, this often times turns into, employment positions. Go getter, good to see that there's is people like yourself out there!!
I would have to agree with this post. Look into volunteering with a group, maybe Ducks Unlimited, or the RMEF? It won't pay to start but you can use it as a chance to network and build relationships that you could turn into a career?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Banned

Can't really help you one shot but have a deep respect for a person that ask's for advice when the chip's are down instead of wallowing in their own misery ... good luck ... just be gratefull you got family... mine hit the road with no understanding when the sheet hit the fan and didn't even try to help .
Old 01-23-2017, 03:16 PM

How are your computer/keyboard skills. Would you be able to cope with QC or maintenance planning work?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Not sure if you have the tools or space to start a small hobby based Buisness on the side.
One thing comes to mind immediately and that is the notion of working from home from your phone and/or laptop. Lots of companies hire people to answer questions about their products. For example, if you call Realm with a reg question, chances are you'll be talking to someone working from home. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaempk View Post
How are your computer/keyboard skills. Would you be able to cope with QC or maintenance planning work?
I have recently upgraded my computer knowledge at nait. I just have issues with fatigue and getting burned out pretty easy!!
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Sorry to read about your dilemma.
I went through something similar at around your age. It is a hard place to be. A workplace injury put me in the same place at the turn of the millennium. I was enjoying machining at the time.

Turn the situation into a positive and take the attitude that you have a fresh opportunity to go in which ever direction you choose. If you have to give up the trades completely, enjoy your passions. Whatever you truly enjoy, make that your mission. Troutbugs suggestion of community futures and the business development bank could be a great resource to get a fresh start for yourself.

If you just want to work there is another resource I think is still in operation in Alberta called "Employabilities" that has connections with employers that are equal opportunity employers that do not discriminate against disabilities.

I know with the trades you had that you enjoy making stuff. Maybe consider getting a table top milling machine and a table top lathe to use at home. Maybe make custom fishing reels, gun parts or get small contracts to do some production parts or one offs. Maybe something like a 3D printer could make you some money from home.There are contracts that a person can get to assemble things from home too.

Wish you well in your journey. Remember that the rocks on a person's path in life can also be cut and polished.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets