Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 AM

Default Gull lake fishing NOT slow

Back in 2015 when I wasn't working for 7 months I went to both Pigeon and Gull in the boat and marked quite a few drop offs, hills, and weed lines. I went to a new spot marked back then called PWhites - Potential Whites.

Started off slow. Didn't seen much for the first 30 minutes. I could just barely see halfway down when a white came in and grabbed the hook. Short fight later it got off...
Saw, hooked and lost 2 more in about 30 minutes. Just seemed like any other place so far.

As 9:30 approached it was like a light turned on. Hooked and landed my first white and it was a nice one. For the next hour and a half I hooked and lost...I'm guessing between 15-20 whites. Crazy good action! Lots of big ones lost at the bottom of the hole but it didn't stop me from getting my limit by 11 a.m. And, there were still whites around. Only 1 annoying pike was landed but I kept my lure and saw one huge walleye but otherwise the whites ruled this spot. I haven't seen white fishing this hot since earlier years at and when the burbs are running. Thing is, they aren't and it is mid-Jan.

Decided to pack up though since I had my limit and headed to a different part of the lake to camera fish. The hopes of getting pike or burbs. Shortly in landed a medium walleye. Then another pike that was likely legal but I put back - I was looking for that 5-8 lbs range. Then a small perch like 7 inches.

A couple of whites were being really aggressive to the jig and minnow turning at the last second. After seeing this for awhile and threatening to get my white fish rod, I did. Had a big white come in and I dropped to bottom. The white hit it but missed. Kept on with the white fish rod and a few minutes later it was back. No hesitation grabbed the lure. Hand fought another huge white up and let it go. Went back to jig fishing. Next, had a couple of nice burb come in and hit the jig and minnow. It was 2 p.m. Limited on whites and burbs, time to pack up and go. Nice 5 species day!

Motivation and patent pending by Zip

Burbot on the left and whites on the right
Lemmon pepper for burbs and "Slap yo Mamma" Cajun for whites.....so good
Old 01-15-2017, 07:20 AM

Well done!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Snap another awesome catch by you. Your a legend, congrats.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
Snap another awesome catch by you. Your a legend, congrats.
x2
Attached Images
File Type: gif fish5.gif (1.3 KB, 1463 views)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 AM

What kind of lemon pepper?? That fish looks perfect!

Recipe?? Looks like fried chicken...
Old 01-15-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
What kind of lemon pepper?? That fish looks perfect!

Recipe?? Looks like fried chicken...

That's the stuff. I think in came from Cabelas. Dip fillet in egg wash. Roll and coat in lemon pepper. Fry/deep fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2017, 07:38 PM

Well done sir! I wish i could find the whites like that down south here (and burbs for that matter). That meal looks amazing.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:49 PM

Nice work buddy. Gotta put in your time in alberta and sooner or later she comes around. That's the challenge that keeps the real fishermen and ladies motivated.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Taco View Post
Well done sir! I wish i could find the whites like that down south here (and burbs for that matter). That meal looks amazing.
You can, you just have to do the same things. Research the habits of your quarry, sonar/GPS map spots during open water, have a sled to get around and camera/flasher for the winter.

Snap succeeds because he is dedicated. Not many times anyone is going to drive into the easy access places or just pick a random spot and experience similar results.

And yeah I'm jealous too...almost enough to go try for whites again
Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Default Good story!

You're right about putting your time in, to study and try different methods and places. Funny I do it a lot in the summer for fly fishing but yet I suck at the hard water fishing. Anyway the fish look great I love your dedication at finding them, and your reward looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Yes putting in the time to drill a ton of holes and move around, pays off I spent two days at buck lake without catching much, and finally got into some fish in a totally unsuspecting area to find the walleye. Determination pays off, no wonder most people won't give up there secret spots, it's a lot of work.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:51 PM

Agreed on putting in time. Funny thing about this spot that I marked 2 years ago in open water, this is my first time trying it and never fished this area before, and, I just drilled exactly on the spot and started fishing - the resuls above. Probably more blind luck than skill but it made me feel good

I still have 4 more spots to check out on Gull from 2 years ago. One of them is off of Sandy Point and with the decent reports I really thought of trying that one out but I picked this one as the long shot as it doesn't seem to be known so I went with the less known and it paid off.

Btw, some of the spots on Pigeon also panned out nicely. I gotta to the same for Sylvan one of these years - as in go around in the boat and mark new structure. Then there are the lakes West and North of Edmonton...

So much to explore and so little time...
Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 PM

Snap .... real Bty's, nice Glow W/W pattern, it makes me happy they produce for others, many tks for sharing your story and the pic's. Looks like you guys finally got some decent temp's to get out on the ice, hope to see more updates.

Currently hiding in San Diego, lots to see and do here, amazing city, lots of big ships & interesting history, too.

D.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Very nice snap.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 AM

Nice job snap ! ice fishing is definitely a snooze compared to fly fishing. Can't wait for spring already and the Awsome fish pics every week on this forum by you and a few others !
Old 01-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

That's the stuff. I think in came from Cabelas. Dip fillet in egg wash. Roll and coat in lemon pepper. Fry/deep fry.

This stuff is my favourite!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:08 PM

I'm heading out to gull for my first time tomorrow, not targeting any species in particular, just hoping to get into a little bit of action. Not looking for any honey holes or anything, just curious about the best access point and if there are any spots I should avoid. I will be heading out from edmonton.

Thanks,
Dylan
Old 01-17-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillzK View Post
I'm heading out to gull for my first time tomorrow, not targeting any species in particular, just hoping to get into a little bit of action. Not looking for any honey holes or anything, just curious about the best access point and if there are any spots I should avoid. I will be heading out from edmonton.

Thanks,

Dylan

I think sandy point and meridian beach would be your best bet , drill lots of holes and explore at different depths, weeds.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genno View Post
I think sandy point and meridian beach would be your best bet , drill lots of holes and explore at different depths, weeds.

Okay great thank you! Will there be signs on how to get to sandy point and meridian beach?!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Lake Access

Just wondering if anyone could tell me where the best places to drive out on the lake are? I'm driving a 3/4t Diesel is this ok with ice conditions? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 PM

Lots of signage. 3/4 ton no problem. I have been driving my 3/4 ton diesel on now for 3 weeks. Meridian is on east side and sandy point on the west side. Easy access at both places. Whites were super aggressive today
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Whites were super aggressive today
That is the same when I was there. Do you think they are just off the spawn and hungry....seems late for that answer. The really were super aggressive for me too. More like what you would expect during the burbot spawn. And, I'm not complaining!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:16 PM

Not sure, but man it was fun. Moved from 6 feet of water where I could clearly see the bottom to 8 feet of water. Stayed at the 6 foot depth for a month because my youngest boy loves catching perch especially when you can see them clearly. Moved yesterday to 8 feet and caught my first white in 15 minutes. Went out today for a bit and had 2 whites in half hour. Even had a white hit my 5 of diamonds. Am right on the edge of a drop off. Whites would come in and hit the wire worm where it was tied onto the line then turn around and hit it from the other side. Didn't seem to spook, just turned around and came the other way. Can't wait for the burbot spawn. Cheers
Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Not sure, but man it was fun. Moved from 6 feet of water where I could clearly see the bottom to 8 feet of water. Stayed at the 6 foot depth for a month because my youngest boy loves catching perch especially when you can see them clearly. Moved yesterday to 8 feet and caught my first white in 15 minutes. Went out today for a bit and had 2 whites in half hour. Even had a white hit my 5 of diamonds. Am right on the edge of a drop off. Whites would come in and hit the wire worm where it was tied onto the line then turn around and hit it from the other side. Didn't seem to spook, just turned around and came the other way. Can't wait for the burbot spawn. Cheers
Nice! May the good trips keep on coming.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:21 PM

Heading out on Saturday hopefully can find some whites first time getting there this year! Thanks for the info
Old 01-28-2017, 08:24 AM

Default heading out today

Going to go get bait then heading out for the old mans birthday today!
hows every ones luck doing? i personally wouldn't mind bringing home anything for a fish fry tonight since my dad loves fish
Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieB View Post
Going to go get bait then heading out for the old mans birthday today!
hows every ones luck doing? i personally wouldn't mind bringing home anything for a fish fry tonight since my dad loves fish
It was our first time at Gull on Thurs and today. 1 white and lost a huge one Thursday but got 3 keeper perch. Today we didn't see any whites (must be fishing at the wrong spot) but got one keeper jack and 4 perch. Not great but we had fun and that's what matters!!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:31 PM

Got 10 perch 8 keepers and one small pike. Lost a big pike that sat there forever looking at my perch jig dropped down a smelt for him and nailed it right away. Lost him guess I should have taken the time to tie on a leader. Nonetheless the 8 perch will be tasty!IMG_0001.jpg

Old 01-29-2017, 06:18 AM

Nice work guys!

I tried to find a perch lake but it turned out to be a bust. Found them but all the fish were miniatures. I think I'll keep my focus on central AB. There are still some lakes around here that need exploring.