Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Fruatrated with my Leica HD-B anyone else.

Hey guys

So picked up a new set of Leica HD-B for hunting season the glass is absolutely amazing, however I've been having horrible luck with ranging anything in low light. Like seriously can't get a reading at all in the morning and evening kinda when it counts. Aswell as soon as my optics get cold they don't range worth a poop either. I'm not sure if it's all the electrionkcs in this model or what my old geovids never gave me this trouble. Anyone else experiencing this maybe it's just a setting I have them on but I'm getting to the point hear high dollar optics might me on the market soon.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 AM

Get the Swarovski EL range and never look back

I used to have the Leica 1600 and wasn't impressed at all with it
Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM

I'm contemplating that however I wanna give these optics a good chance but after the last failed range on a Bison really making me think about switching.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM

I think Lecia makes great glass, but for what you pay; there rangefinder is lacking ...

With mind I've hit rock faces over 2000 yards, hair is no problem at 1000
Ranged an elk above 1200 yards. But you need to be steady. To range an animal at 500 is easy

I really like the angle compensation on them, I have it set to give you the actual range and ballistic range,
But no good for the bow hunter because they don't range under 30-35 yards

I'm using 10x42. My only complaint is that they're heavy

What distance where you trying to range the bison ?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:27 AM

I have the original geovids and a guy I know has the newest version (like yours).

Mine work excellent in the extreme cold and his are even better (late season deer and midwinter bison).

I have a couple suggestions:

1) Try a new battery - you've likely already done this but it can't hurt

2) You mention bison hunting so I assume you're out in the cold (extreme cold if it's this week). Anyway, the rangefinders (none of them) will work well if there's fog or ice crystals in the air. Sometimes it's hard to even see the ice in the air, but if it's there they won't work. These ice crystals seem to be more prevalent in the morning and evening, so that could be your problem.

Also if you're in and out of a truck the laser sensor can fog up and freeze over with ice, but you'd probably also see it on the optical lenses.

Swaros shouldn't work any better than your Leica's. If you know someone with Swaros to compare side/side in the field that would be ideal. You might see some difference, but if Swaros range 1200yds and you can only get 50 there's a problem with your binos - send them in for warranty.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM

I have the Leica's and am really happy with them super fast range reading coming back, I can consistently range rock in the mountains over 2000yds, best I got was 2180yds! You must have a faulty pair. Swaro is certainly good, I have glass in both, but they most certainly are not any better then Leica in my experience. Outdoor life testing on rangefinders showed the Leica range finder quicker and more accurate than the Swaro.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 PM

love mine now. first pair were cooked and would not range consistently. sent them back and got a new pair....same thing, third pair work great. range to 2000 easy on trees/solid face.

was a little p'd it took 3 pairs to be happy with them.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
love mine now. first pair were cooked and would not range consistently. sent them back and got a new pair....same thing, third pair work great. range to 2000 easy on trees/solid face.

was a little p'd it took 3 pairs to be happy with them.
I think I'll call or write Leica really not impressed been several times they have let me down. I understand they are electronics and not great in cold weather but they have failed to range in late September when the temperature should not have been a factor
Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
I think I'll call or write Leica really not impressed been several times they have let me down. I understand they are electronics and not great in cold weather but they have failed to range in late September when the temperature should not have been a factor
Yours are defective, no two ways about it. I have both Swaro and Leica, as well s Bushnell and Leuopold, and the Leica work far better than the Swaros under poor conditions. None work good in fog and the brighter the light the harder it is for the range finder to work but in early dawn and dusk you should be easily ranging 1500 yards. Leica is very good about fixing stuff. If it is early enough take them back to where you bought them and switch.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM

Thanks guys I sent a long winded email to Leica I hope to get a good response as I have the feel of these optics and clarity of the glass just want them to perform as they should.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Hey guys

So picked up a new set of Leica HD-B for hunting season the glass is absolutely amazing, however I've been having horrible luck with ranging anything in low light. Like seriously can't get a reading at all in the morning and evening kinda when it counts. Aswell as soon as my optics get cold they don't range worth a poop either. I'm not sure if it's all the electrionkcs in this model or what my old geovids never gave me this trouble. Anyone else experiencing this maybe it's just a setting I have them on but I'm getting to the point hear high dollar optics might me on the market soon.
i have same problems with my HD-b cheers
Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
i have same problems with my HD-b cheers
Have you tried contacting Leica about it.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Have you tried contacting Leica about it.
NOT
Old 01-16-2017, 06:15 PM

Got an email back from Leica saying it sounds like my rangefinder is defective we'll see how this repair process goes I suppose.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Got an email back from Leica saying it sounds like my rangefinder is defective we'll see how this repair process goes I suppose.
The fact it is defective was never in question based on your descriton of how it was behaving.

Lieca has excllent customer service. I would be absolutely amazed if you were unhappy with the final outcome. You pay a premium for Lieca but tfor that price u get premium performance and premium service.

Will be interested to hear the final story.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:44 PM

My Zeiss Victory RF's are a hidden gem. Although they only range to 1400 yards, they have the quickest and most reliable rangefinder and although I didn't like the rubber armouring at first, I couldn't live without it now. And the glass!!
I wouldn't trade them for any other.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Which email address did you use. I have the same issue with mine (was great the first year, just this year started). I emailed them and got a standard for response a month ago but haven't heard anything since.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM

I first emailed the general customer service address then got forwarded to the service manager for Leica. His name is Bill Weier email address is Bill.weier@leicacamerausa.com

He emailed me a ups shipping label right away
Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I first emailed the general customer service address then got forwarded to the service manager for Leica. His name is Bill Weier email address is Bill.weier@leicacamerausa.com

He emailed me a ups shipping label right away
Thanks
Old 01-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My Leica 1600 range finder was out by 10% right out of the box. They seem to try to pass you off to where you bought the glass. I'm not very happy with them at all. I should have bought a different brand!

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Reading this, makes me glad that I kept my Geovid HDs, rather than purchasing the new model. My Geovids have never caused issues of any kind, and have always been reliable.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 PM

I loved my GeoVids never had an issue low light bright light whatever always worked for me. Unfortunately they burnt in my house fire so I figured why not upgrade they have to be better for that price well let's hope Leica can change my mind.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:26 PM

We'll received a package today from the post office I was very pleased to find Leica sent me a brand new upgrades 2200 edition range finder. At no additional cost my old ones were not repairable.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
We'll received a package today from the post office I was very pleased to find Leica sent me a brand new upgrades 2200 edition range finder. At no additional cost my old ones were not repairable.
Well, that's pretty great! Glad to hear you got it resolved. Looks like they stand behind their product.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:

that is great, what's also great is Leica's renowned customer service is alive and well.

now get out side and let us know they''re working like their supposed to

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Glad it worked out for you. I have an pair of Geos that are going on 8 years old, and they have worked flawlessly for me. I lost an eye cup in the field, Leica sent me two new ones at no cost even thought I assured them it was my fault. Also got some parts for my ER rifle scope sent at no charge, have always found their service to be excellent.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-05-2017, 08:24 PM

I will be sure to report back I know I'm excited they upgraded to the latest version.