Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
It's a shame that we don't have any of the genuine, old time wolfers posting on this forum.
I guess that you can only shake your head so many times without getting a sore neck.

Anyway... a bit of wolf behavior (not from the www.)

On Bub's pic that I trimmed out (actually the next one, #6)
shows the seemingly pointless digging, just off their trail.

The wolves had been there before, after a good feed.

Foxes stash bits of food (basis of the dirt hole set).
Wolves turn off the trail & regurgitate a big splat of yellow stomach juices with chunks of meat

The digging is recovering their stashed iced treat, at a later date.
That's quite interesting. Actually the third picture down (it's really hard to see due to the flash used) had some yellow juices in the hole they dug, but I was pretty sure it was no juice

It's really great to hear things from guys with experience. If anyone has anymore to share, I am sure I am not the only one who would greatly appreciate it. It would be nice to see a thread about wolves like that one about coyotes created by redfrog (called Say when!). Someone with the knowledge, bring it on!

Also thanks to northbuck, for pointing out that there is no baiting in Wildland Parks for other than trappers. I knew that but for whatever reason it never clicked before he graciously pointed it out.

I am going to try calling this pack next weekend or so. If any of you guys have any advice for me before then, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for all the replies again!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 PM

Bub... incoming mssge, eventually.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 PM

The dug up area at road side is stained possibly greenish brown and that other pic looks like frozen offal ( stomach remains) I suspect it was either a fox previously burying some kill or more likely a smaller road kill possibly rabbit beaver etc that wolves sniffed out and totally devoured other than offal. Thus lack of hair bones etc. They 30 foot stomped down area could easily be made by 3 or 4 animals that got excited finding a small meal and milled about
Old 04-08-2017, 11:33 PM

Sorry for bumping the old thread. The real reason for the bump is that I was trying to send a message to a member and his message box appears to be full. I am sure he is going to read this and delete a few messages and let me know Yesterday's message was probably the last one that could fit.

Well, since I bumped this up, I am going to say that a couple of really nice guys on this forum provided some very valuable advice about how to connect with these wolves. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do so yet. Saw more tracks left by this pack on a few occasions; nothing like what was depicted in the original post though. It appears that four are still alive and roaming the woods. One recently posed for a night shoot in front the camera, but if he knew any better, he would move a few feet further out

Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM

This was a cool thread!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:11 PM

it's simple; all the pics show that the wolves are moving in, folks been saying it for years! they move in and kill everything in the woods and take over!
they also sub-contract with the cougars, especially if there's too many deer for the hoards of wolf to handle.
I figure they work out the details while they are being transported by fish and wildlife by the truck load (that's just common sense) they drop off cougars and wolves daily, we all know that!
yep, it's getting hard to hunt from the truck that's for sure.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:44 PM

I have seen this exact thing happen about a half a mile from my wolf baits, I think its just a wolf thing. Got a good feed then feel like playing around digging and ****ing on the banks. Playing with other wolves, then they move on.