Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I have hunted BC for 45+ years , resident tags

Also myself a licensed BC guide 20 + years,, so I've had my FILL of both Horses and &@$)&$! Argos

So If I wished to go on a guidedCaribou hunt it would be Quebec , Labrador or Nunavut , these places there are huge numbers of Caribou,
not very much in BC

And It would not be on some unknown mystery cantankerous renta- horse or a $&/@$& Argo ,

But a fly in , then short sorties on foot or by watercraft , the most pleasurable methods to take a caribou...

Good luck
Not many mountain caribou in Quebec or Labrador!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

Cool

Hunted both areas, and by both methods.
While this site's resident guide has a point (Know what you're saying Tork), it would seem that you've already narrowed down your choices to the two you note.

You also suggest you have buddies who own horses and would let you "test run" them.
Do that. A fair amount, and do it soon.
Don't go with the thought of an hour's ride, but more towards 3 hours + in the saddle. Going to hurt most likely. Be ready for that. And set the exact same up for the next day. Follow through. Third day try again. You will know in short order if you're going to build stamina for that application, or not...

Next - find someone who can take you out in an argo. They ride rougher than any other atv I've ever seen, but they do have a purpose & function. Different stressors on the back, legs & neck. Don't just try that once, do it a couple times.

Then sit back and ponder which you'd be able to handle over a week or ten days' worth. That will answer your question. Or might suggest that hiking ain't all that bad an option either. If the latter, start working on getting into mountain hiking shape yesterday...

Cheers & Best of Luck,
Nog
Old 01-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I have hunted BC for 45+ years , resident tags

Also myself a licensed BC guide 20 + years,, so I've had my FILL of both Horses and &@$)&$! Argos

So If I wished to go on a guidedCaribou hunt it would be Quebec , Labrador or Nunavut , these places there are huge numbers of Caribou,
not very much in BC

And It would not be on some unknown mystery cantankerous renta- horse or a $&/@$& Argo ,

But a fly in , then short sorties on foot or by watercraft , the most pleasurable methods to take a caribou...

Good luck
I did that one in 2013 in Manitoba. It was an excellent hunt, but bouncing off 2 foot waves all day and listening to an outboard motor whine has its drawback also. You take a pounding in those small aluminum boats. On a calm day, they are great...you just skim along the water enjoying yourself. On the windy days, hang on and you'd better have a good cushion!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:37 PM

If you want to make it a true once in a lifetime kinda hunt go for the horse hunt, I guided for over 30 years on horses and there is no nicer feeling then riding down a mountain trail on a horse in the dark, you would be amazed at all the sounds you will hear that you won't hear beating yourself up in an Argo. That my 2 cents at least.

Jim...