Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Red face Golden trout Heli fishing

has anyone on here ever done the heli fishing for Goldens in recent history. it's a bucket list fish for me and curious about the cost compared to just hiking it. I have read they aren't the easiest fish to catch but that just makes me wanna try more! lol
Old 01-02-2017, 05:24 PM

Did the hike this year, it was worth every single step. Hiking in and getting skunked woulda been pretty crappy, luckily that wasn't the case, however flying in and getting skunked would definitely leave a fowl taste in my mouth. I'm not sure the cost but I know it can be fairly expensive. If you care to share any of that info, that would be great!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Banned

Your in airdrie, not too far a drive to where you can walk in for them
Old 01-02-2017, 10:17 PM

I'd like to catch a golden , next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 AM

This is from the Rockies Heli Canada site that flies out of the Cline River in the summer. From the Site it says $349.00 per seat, based on a full helicopter load, and they also charge $2.00/pound of baggage extra. If you're an experienced hiker it's one good long hard days pull from the Hwy to get there. Since the flood in 2013 the trail is pretty bad, lots of it is a slug up the creek bed. Definitely worth the hike in just for the views alone. The lake is well above tree line so don't plan or expect to be sitting by a campfire at night. Weather changes quickly up there so expect snow any day, especially since the lake doesn't open for fishing until Aug. 1. If you're not an experienced hiker the helicopter might be a better option.
http://www.rockiesheli.com/icefields-heli-fishing/
Old 01-03-2017, 07:28 AM

If you are a regular hiker, I would definitely consider not taking a chopper. Golden trout are so awesome; they're beautiful, powerful, and rewarding. However, I personally believe the sanctity of goldens is in concordance with the hike and the trip into the lake, not just the fish. And if you want to achieve the full experience, hike a few km and it'll feel great! The population is very limited so I'd strongly reccomend C&R!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:14 AM

From what I've been told Branaby down in the Castle area is a much easier hike in. We have a couple of club member that has done that hike. Only a 4 or five hr. hike.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S
Old 01-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Hike all the way! Rainy Ridge is easily do-able as a day hike if you're in decent shape. I would estimate 3 hours for average fitness level, 1.5hrs for regular hikers.

I've gone up several times, a couple were multi-day camping trips. The fish are small but its a fun bucket list item to cross off. Also, they really aren't that hard to catch! They love micro leeches or small beadheads, and in the mornings and evenings they'll typically rise to dries.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawad View Post
has anyone on here ever done the heli fishing for Goldens in recent history. it's a bucket list fish for me and curious about the cost compared to just hiking it. I have read they aren't the easiest fish to catch but that just makes me wanna try more! lol
Three of us did this bucket list trip August 20th, 2015 to Michelle Lakes out of Cline River. Great experience and caught plenty of fish. PM me if you have specific questions. I've posted a pictorial story of this trip on the classic flyrod forum: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/...p?f=65&t=89991.

I have way more fish pics than I posted, but you will get an idea of what to expect with the heli trip.

Cheers,

Ron
Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 AM

Thanks Ron

Old 01-04-2017, 12:29 PM

Barnaby is an easy hike if you are in half decent shape. It is a bit steep at points but only 2-3 hours each way. I got mine within minutes but buddy took a few hours to finally land one, nothing big but cool colours. You can either chance it going up for a day trip or pack light gear to spend the night to make sure you catch one. Helicopter ride is probably cool to do but expensive and feels like cheating to me lol.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Envy

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdep View Post
Thanks Ron

No problem and I will add the heli flight into Michelle Lakes is only about 12-15 minutes each way.