Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 PM

Default Coyote fleshing knife ?

Someone probably asked that question here in the past but I will ask again, what is your favorite fleshing knife for coyote ? I don't trap coyote since a long time so I'm still learning. I caught a few already and I want to improve my timing for the fleshing process. I'm planning to go to Halfords next week to get some stuff so that is why I ask that question now.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:35 PM
Banned

I use a cheap, dull $25 two handed fleshing knife for coyotes. I want to push the fat off instead of cutting it. I have an expensive, sharp $100 Post two handed fleshing knife to flesh Beavers.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdave View Post
i use a cheap, dull $25 two handed fleshing knife for coyotes. I want to push the fat off instead of cutting it. .
10/4
Old 12-15-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I use a cheap, dull $25 two handed fleshing knife for coyotes. I want to push the fat off instead of cutting it. I have an expensive, sharp $100 Post two handed fleshing knife to flesh Beavers.
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/tw...nife-acpost2hf

Can't go wrong here. I've got another version that I picked up from halfords but I don't see it on their site. I believe very similar. Sharp on one side and dull the other. You'll use the dull side 95% of the time. I'm sure others will chime in but the thinner blades of these higher end fleshers seem to work a lot better for me.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Banned

That's the one that I have for beaver, Camdec. It's not very forgiving for coyotes IMO.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 AM

I use a caribou...big thing for me is the beam...I went from a flat one to just a fence post sanded down smooth....100% better half the effort and time
Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I use a caribou...big thing for me is the beam...I went from a flat one to just a fence post sanded down smooth....100% better half the effort and time
X2 last fall i made one out of fir then fiberglassed it its not quite right yet but i much prefer my PVC beam till i can fool with the fir one
Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
That's the one that I have for beaver, Camdec. It's not very forgiving for coyotes IMO.

This is my fleshing knife. I see it's actually a Caribou. Picked it up at Trapper Gords rather than Halfords as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 11:01 PM

A Necker for me
Old 12-19-2016, 09:18 AM

Im going to do some shopping today, thanks for your advises guys !
Old 12-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck du Nord View Post
Im going to do some shopping today, thanks for your advises guys !
What did you get?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 AM

Hi guys, I bought a Ron Post. I already tried it yesterday and did 4 coyotes with. I'm really happy about it. The blade is a little bit flexible and I thing that make a difference. I did a hole in my first coyote, I tried to clean the head with the sharp side of the blade...wrong decision lol ! I still did the last part of the coyote, the back legs and the back close to the tail with my aluminium triangle. It was easier to take off the fat close to the end of the fur with that tool. I still need to do more with it to get use to but I thing I've got the right tool now. That was an expensive day for me Monday in Halfords but that was worth it ! Have a good day !
Old 12-22-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Hi guys, I bought a Ron Post. I already tried it yesterday and did 4 coyotes with. I'm really happy about it. The blade is a little bit flexible and I thing that make a difference. I did a hole in my first coyote, I tried to clean the head with the sharp side of the blade...wrong decision lol ! I still did the last part of the coyote, the back legs and the back close to the tail with my aluminium triangle. It was easier to take off the fat close to the end of the fur with that tool. I still need to do more with it to get use to but I thing I've got the right tool now. That was an expensive day for me Monday in Halfords but that was worth it ! Have a good day !

Congrats! I too have tried to use the sharp side for the head with similar results. Tend to put more holes than not. Is it best to just work at it with the dull side? Buck du Nord, what is your aluminum triangle tool? All I can think is tail splitting guide.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:26 AM

Sorry for the late answer Camdec. After a few coyotes cleaned with my new knife, I'm getting better and faster. I use only the doll side and that works perfectly. I should post a picture of my aluminum triangle to show you, but I'm not really good for posting pictures and I never took the time to learn how ! That tool has a blade on each side of the triangle. When one blade is full of fat, I just use the others one and clean the tool when all blades are dirty. You save a little bit of time. But it is really stiff compare to the Ron Post knife which has a little flexibility and follows the curve of your fleshing beem.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Banned

I'm glad that your knife is working out for you. I have a Post knife but both edges are sharp. I've been told to dull one edge but I just can't bring myself to doing that.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that your knife is working out for you. I have a Post knife but both edges are sharp. I've been told to dull one edge but I just can't bring myself to doing that.
I took a file to my Caribou and regret it now Dave! I still wasn't happy after the file job and went to a different knife.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the late answer Camdec. After a few coyotes cleaned with my new knife, I'm getting better and faster. I use only the doll side and that works perfectly. I should post a picture of my aluminum triangle to show you, but I'm not really good for posting pictures and I never took the time to learn how ! That tool has a blade on each side of the triangle. When one blade is full of fat, I just use the others one and clean the tool when all blades are dirty. You save a little bit of time. But it is really stiff compare to the Ron Post knife which has a little flexibility and follows the curve of your fleshing beem.

Is this what you are referring to regarding triangle tool? If so I have one that I use for the tighter spots that two handle tool can't. The one spot I always have trouble with is the tail. Wondering if anybody has any tips on this area.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure that he means this:

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/tw...-acflesheralum

I don't flesh the whole tail, just an inch or so down from the base with my two handed fleshing tool.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM

It is exactly what I'm talking about, thanks Dave. A lot of trappers use that back east.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It is exactly what I'm talking about, thanks Dave. A lot of trappers use that back east.

Interesting. Haven't seen one before.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:53 PM

I don't flesh the whole tail, just an inch or so down from the base with my two handed fleshing tool.[/QUOTE]

Ya it's that inch or two I'm referring to. I just find the two handle tool awkward at that spot. I've never tried it but wondered about taking an old tablespoon and possibly sharpening an edge.