Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 10:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Default The Best Solution to the Cougar Problem

http://www.maplecreeknews.com/news/2...trol-measures/

Man!!! These Saskatchewan Fish and Wildlife people are super intelligent!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Unbelievable...

Instead of burning the over populated cougars being harvested, the Saskatchewan government allows these individuals the option to sell the skins...

THIS UTTERLY BLOWS THE MIND... HOW DO WE GET THE ALBERTA GOVERNMENT TO STOP BURNING OUR GROTESQUELY OVERPOPULATED CATS???
Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 PM

Sounds like a plan at least they get to keep the pelts and don't have to kill on the QT!
Cat
Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Banned

Megen Roth writes like a kid talking to children. It's hard to make sense of this news article.
I like that trappers are being consulted on this apparent cougar problem.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Unbelievable...

Instead of burning the over populated cougars being harvested, the Saskatchewan government allows these individuals the option to sell the skins...

THIS UTTERLY BLOWS THE MIND... HOW DO WE GET THE ALBERTA GOVERNMENT TO STOP BURNING OUR GROTESQUELY OVERPOPULATED CATS???
Hate to say it Marty, but I hate the idea of burning good pelts.
Or am I missing something here?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 PM

Talked to a Trapper from BC and they skin the Cougars and sell them on the Market and the money goes to Trapper Education better than burning them. And I thought it was against the law to allow a Cougar pelt to spoil or destroyed
Old 12-29-2016, 07:02 AM
AO Sponsor

For those not in the know, here's the story in a nutshell...

Cougar populations, for unknown reasons spike beyond comprehension. Many theories out there, yes, but nobody has all the facts as to why. Regardless, we have an astronomical cougar population. After years of cougar conflicts, the AB government allows landowners to shoot cougars on their own land, later allows a fall cougar hunting season without the use of dogs. Both steps in the right direction, but not enough cats being taken to solve the problem.

So trappers with our snares and 330 bodygrippers hit a number cougars annually, accidentally of course. We always did catch a few, but with the massive spike in the cougar population, the cougar bycatch spikes accordingly.

Trapper catches a cougar, turns it in and it is registered, then the cat is confiscated and is hauled to a freezer, trapper is given some lame excuse such as animal will be used for science, of which a small percentage is, and the cats hang in the freezer until freezer burned and or specific time, and the cats are incinerated.

Disgusting...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Cougar populations, for unknown reasons spike beyond comprehension. Many theories out there, yes, but nobody has all the facts as to why. Regardless, we have an astronomical cougar population. After years of cougar conflicts, the AB government allows landowners to shoot cougars on their own land, later allows a fall cougar hunting season without the use of dogs. Both steps in the right direction, but not enough cats being taken to solve the problem.

So trappers with our snares and 330 bodygrippers hit a number cougars annually, accidentally of course. We always did catch a few, but with the massive spike in the cougar population, the cougar bycatch spikes accordingly.

Trapper catches a cougar, turns it in and it is registered, then the cat is confiscated and is hauled to a freezer, trapper is given some lame excuse such as animal will be used for science, of which a small percentage is, and the cats hang in the freezer until freezer burned and or specific time, and the cats are incinerated.

Disgusting...
This is the nail on the head and disgusting is being kind.... It is illegal to burn these pelts and all other pelts they burn which is more than one would think( everything from cougars to blacks, lynx, grizzlies and everything else confiscated or accidental kill) but cause they are gov nobody fights it. Rape and Murder is against the law too is it ok for gov to do these too. When they were confronted on this and given a solution to follow like our neighbors in BC and salvage these animals and sell them with the profits going to education or maybe to hire more officers to protect and conserve, their response was "Alberta is not into trafficking wildlife". I know of big Rams confiscated from Cadomin sitting in freezers, look at what people pay for the ministry tag should be auctioned off and use the money to hire more F&W or something instead of rotting in freezers or burning. This is like Karma as years ago while running cougars a friend and myself were pleading with gov to increase the harvest on cougars as they gave out few tags for huge areas and could clearly see the populations soaring and like everything else GOA we got the cold shoulder even had officers say we just wanted to "murder everything", now they jump on the too many cat bandwagon and act like they always believed they should of increased the tags. lol Again like most issues in AB is the gov don't care about it's wildlife or biology. Our trapper local has also been trying to get accidental cougar catches to be kept and have a resolution through ATA which was carried but who knows if it ever goes anywhere, also sent multiple letters to MLA's etc..... Same old story in good old AB
Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

I agree that this seems like a total waste, but nothing the govt. does surprises me anymore.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Disgusting...
I agree totally Marty , they display a total lack of intelligence . Same with the grizzly bear population . Studies have been done that show how big a population there actually is and numbers now are well above what was deemed necessary for a reinstated hunt . Govt refuses to take yes for an answer even after science proves it is needed. Now there's disgusting for ya ...
Old 12-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I agree totally Marty , they display a total lack of intelligence . Same with the grizzly bear population . Studies have been done that show how big a population there actually is and numbers now are well above what was deemed necessary for a reinstated hunt . Govt refuses to take yes for an answer even after science proves it is needed. Now there's disgusting for ya ...
How about our new "Save the Caribou" Party the Govt has started up now the last year or so. Nothing like building a big fence and growing up cutlines to save them lol
Nothing surprises me these days with the Govt involved.
And it's the nutcase Bio's at the lead of it all......
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Banned

If a nuisance cougar is targeted and caught or shot, why wouldn't the gov let you salvage the pelt? SK got it right IMO. Incidental catches are a little different IMO and I'm trying to see where the AB gov is coming from for confiscating them. Do they think that if people were allowed to keep incidental catches that people will start targeting them?

Regardless of the circumstance I think that it's a shame that they would allow a cougar to go to waste.