Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2016, 03:31 AM

Question Spey Rod / Switch rod / Micro Spey

I have recently got into fly fishing but an elbow issue has got me thinking I might need to change to a switch rod to alleviate some of the strain on my tendon.

I am just trying to get some info before I make the decision / purchase.

I would like to simply replace my setup with a comparable "switch" set up. I have a 6wt TFO and a 3 series lamson guru.

If I make the switch I will likely sell the TFO but not the guru. I have learned through my limited research it sounds like having a larger reel is certainly not a hindrance.

I was hoping to hear some of your experiences, what sort of setup you currently use ; rods / reels / lines (weights / actions) For "micro" spey and switch rods.

Bare in mind that I will only be using this locally (not steelhead or salmon) but the bow does have some monsters.

I got a fishing hole black friday email and was looking at.

Fenwick Model: A11156-4 | Piece: 4 | Weight: 5.50 oz | Action: Fast | Line: 5/6 wt | Length: 11'

I am curious what are the differences in the lines used for this rod vs something for a standard fly rod (my reel currently has 6WF Rio Perception at 197 gr) vs the 350 gr 5/6 or 410gr 6/7

Obviously it is significantly heavier than even the 8WF Perception so I can guess that the extra weight is to help shoot line without the traditional false casting / hauling of a standard fly rod, but I am curious about what size reel you would need for spey lines. (or working backwards which size switch line should be appropriate for my series 3 guru)

I also plan on doing some serious "youtubing" to see what I can find out there as well.

I recently posted a question about testing out possible rod set ups and lines; is there places I could test of switch rods? They certainly seem harder to find.

Last edited by millsboy79; 11-22-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 AM

Switch rods...... Never had much use for them as I like to use the correct tool for the job. I've cast many switches and what I find is they don't perform as well as a single hander for single hand casts and they don't perform as well as a spey for spey work.

That said, you should be able to test some switches at Fish Tales or Iron Bow.

I would work on getting the tendon issue solved and not searching for a new rod.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:51 PM

This may not be too helpful,but i have on going fairly serious shoulder trouble. Ive sold one out fit (TFO) cause of it. But missed fly fishing so much. So i bought another rod and have been practising casting left handed. Its coming along ok. I hope by somewhere part way into next season ill have the hang of it. Definitely improving last i went out. This way if shoulder starts to act up i can switch back and forth.

I know this doesnt really answer your question but it maybe food for thought.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM

I got into spey casting about 12 years ago due to tendonitis in my right elbow. The casting motion of a spey or switch rod was just what the doctor ordered, but I (wisely, I like to think) never got around to selling off my single handers. After resting my elbow, and getting a cortisone shot, the issue disappeared and I can now handle both styles of rod equally well.

I feel "switch" is a terrible misnomer, "short spey" more accurately describes an 11' 6wt rod. They are not intended for single hand casting (you will do even more damage to your tendons if you try it). Overhead casts with a switch should be done with 2 hands. Paired up with the right line, (I really like the Rio Swithchucker lines in the right grain window) switches will bomb the line out to the backing with ease.

I have a 4wt Reddington Dually (10' 9"), a 6wt Amundson Wind Warrior (11') and a 7wt Sage Method (11' 9") and I am geared up for everything from cutties to steelhead but I still use my single handers for the same range of quarry, depending on locations.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:53 AM

a switch or a spey rod isn't necessary and will make fishing even more difficult.

Id stick with your current rod and learn some single hand spey casts. You will probably need some new line though.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
a switch or a spey rod isn't necessary and will make fishing even more difficult.

Id stick with your current rod and learn some single hand spey casts. You will probably need some new line though.

Being able to cast with two hands and take the stress away from my elbow is the entire point, so single handed anything is what I am trying to avoid.

I find out at the end of the month if surgery is the next step ... or if there is anything else they can do.

Fingers crossed.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:25 PM

I've used a switch rod for over two years now. Definitely easier on the elbow to cast with for long distance, if done properly. It's well worth it to get a casting lesson to learn how to use the two handed properly. Then a second one a few weeks later to get rid of any bad habits that have creeped in. It's extended my ability to cast for more hours in the day too.

That being said, I still love my single handed rods for close in casting. Fortunately the two handed allowed me to continuse fishing until my tendonitis healed.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Being able to cast with two hands and take the stress away from my elbow is the entire point, so single handed anything is what I am trying to avoid.

I find out at the end of the month if surgery is the next step ... or if there is anything else they can do.

Fingers crossed.
Get some good lessons while you're at it. I know in my case, I have bad habits i picked up teaching myself to cast. At times when I get it all together, or when watching a truly good caster, I realize that a proper single hand cast puts almost no stress on the elbow. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:10 PM

Hi guys
I have a 12ft 6inch TFO Deer Creek 5/6 Spey rod. I use it on the Columbia in B.C. for trout. Fabulous rod. Great for trout 12 inches and up. But even better is a 12 ft 6inch TFO Deer Creek 4/5 Spey rod. It's a fabulous thing. With a 12 inch fish it gets a huge bend in it. Super easy to cast. I have only cast it a few times and can get 80 feet out of it easily. These rods are a little long for small creeks but are great for rivers like the Old Man. and the Bow and rivers of that size.
Once you get to the 12 ft long rods they become easier to cast because of their length. The shorter the rod the more precise you you have to be on your casting and the longer it takes to become proficient. Also on the shorter rods your line has to match the rod very well or it is hell to learn to cast. A stiff Switch rod is nasty to cast as your casting has to be very precise. A soft rod is better as you can slow down on your casting.
Anything bigger than a 5/6 rod is too big for Alberta waters. That's 300 to 550 Grains for a line. A 4/5 rod would easily handle a 30 inch fish.
I fish about 250 days a year with the 5/6 Deer Creek rods. I have two of them. I have been spey fishing since 2007 and have caught hundreds of trout.
You can easily fly fish off shore with a spey rod as you only need about 5 ft or less distance behind you to make a long cast. With the 5/6 rod I can do 85 to 90 ft casts. With the 4/5 you would cast a shorter distance, around 75 to 80 ft.,up to 85 ft once you become proficient, due to a lighter rod and lighter line. Plus leader of course. So an 80 ft. cast plus 15 ft of leader makes 95 ft. cast. Not bad for a guy standing on shore. (Don't spread this info around as it spey fishing is hell on the fish.) It's addictive also. As you might have guessed these rods are not for the dry fly fisherman.
Cheers and tight lines
Bjay
Old 11-25-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Hi guys
As you might have guessed these rods are not for the dry fly fisherman.
Cheers and tight lines
Bjay
I use MOW tips on my switch rods. They come in a number of configurations, including a full floating tip which I often use with dry flies. The real problem fishing dries is the temptation to bomb out 90'+ casts. In general this often puts too many conflicting current seams between you and the fly and results in very short (or nonexistant) drag-free drifts. Shorter casts and the rod performs fine as a dry fly rod.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:13 PM

I've got a 5wt 11' redington dually switch I'll let go. Tosses meat well with a skagit 325, and would toss nymph rigs for miles.

PM if interested.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 PM

Default 2 hand rods

Hi guys
If you want a rod that can be easily used single hand and then 2 hand when necessary contact RB Meiser fly rods Go on the net to get more info or get his number off the net and call him. These rods are not cheep. Or get a blank from him and make your own.
A 10ft 6 inch for the smaller rivers and streams would be a dream, single hand or 2 hand. (I class the Old Man and the Bow as small rivers) An 11 footer would only be OK if you are a fellow with a strong arm and strong back. Casting a 11 ft rod with a dry line all day would be like casting a 9 weight single hand rod all day. The nice thing about a 10 ft 6in. rod you would just pack 2 reels with you to swap back and forth as required. One floating spey line on a reel and one dry line on a reel.
I use a floating scandi line for 90 percent of my fishing. At times I will put on a sink tip for extra deep water. Now if you got a switch rod and used a light loating scandi line on it you might not need to switch lines to cast a dry fly. You would have to talk to Bob Meiser about this.
Bjay

Here is a link to his blanks
http://meiserflyrods.com/rodblanks.php

Here is a link to his home page
http://meiserflyrods.com/
Old 11-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Default small 2 handers

here is some more info
ECHO Rods
They have a small 10 ft 6 inch 2hander. called a SR model. If I was to buy one of these little beauties I would buy the 4 weight, SR 4106 which runs a 210-270 grain line or 5 weight, SR 5108 which runs a 270 to330 grain line . But the SR5108 is getting back up to a heavy line that would become a burden to cast single handed for dry fly fishing and you would have a pretty stiff rod in order to cast the 330 grain line.
The 3 weight might be just a little too light in a windy areas but would be a great rod for small streams and small rivers.
One thing to remember is that you would have to contact Rajeff Sports to find out the right length head and line for the rod. Correct head length makes a big difference in performance.
They run $329.99 in the USA
Look at these links
http://echoflyfishing.com/project/sr/

http://echoflyfishing.com/wp-content...mendations.pdf

I have not cast these rods and they don't look snazzy but apparently they cast pretty well.
Cheers
BJay

Last edited by Bjay; 11-28-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:45 PM

Unhappy Going under the knife

Looks like I will be going under the knife to attempt the repair on my tendon.

Will take time to heal and when its all said and done I might be able to pick up the single handed rod in the end but only time will tell.

I still like the idea of a small spey rod so it might be a better option even while I am healing.

Either way

Wish me luck

Tags
spey, switch