Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 AM

Default Fly fishing pike?

How many guys on here target pike with the fly? I recently started targeting them with the fly and it has been a blast. Far and away the most exciting fishing I have done. Some of the takes are savage! Just curious who else on here targets pike on the fly?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 AM

You can count me and several friends. As you said, it's a blast!

Cheers
Old 11-01-2016, 08:41 AM

It's been on my "to do" list for several years, but I never seem to make the time for it. Maybe next spring....
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Never caught one on the fly. Do your flies take a beating?

And when I've heard about "pike flies", they have always been streamers. Can you take them with dries, chironomids, etc? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 AM

used to quite a bit up until my son was born
Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 AM

I started to this summer and it's been great! It's fun at times to not worry about presentation, and just chuck and strip.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

And when I've heard about "pike flies", they have always been streamers. Can you take them with dries, chironomids, etc? Thanks.
Yeah the flies can take a beating,but it's worth it. Although I only have one fly in my box that is borderline unfishable (that fly has caught over 50 fish) Pike flies are generally streamers. But you can fish poppers which are essentially top waters that you strip in. I'm not sure what size of flie everybody else fishes but the flies I fish are fairly good size... Stuff that is designed to push water and have lots of movement.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:40 AM

It's a blast and one of my favourite ways to catch them.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 AM

I've tried several different patterns, but have probably had most success on simplistic ones (buggers, deceivers, clousers). I think I fall back to these as they are easier to manage with my mediocre casting skills. I have tied this one, and while fun to use I find anything this big tough to manage on a windy day, even with an 8# rod.

I have a white crystal bugger variant in my box (tied with a little extra schlappen at the tail) that looks like the dog's breakfast after catching 20+ fish over the past couple of years. Still toss it out there from time to time, as pike don't really seem to care what shape the fly is in. I typically only take pike flies outta my box once they have completely fallen apart, or the hook breaks off (which has happened to a couple of articulated ones).
Old 11-01-2016, 03:11 PM

I have been fortunate enough to have fly fished now for 40 years for numerous freshwater and saltwater species and have caught far more technically challenging fish, harder fighting fish and much larger fish across north and central America, the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean,,, but for all that,,, pike are still my most favorite fish to target with a fly rod,,, cuz when the pike are hot to trot, there is nothing with a better grab!!!

My user name is what it is for very reason!!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:23 PM

Have been doing it for years. It is extremly exciting. Getting to watch those takes in shallow water is amazing. In the spring when the action heats up hang on cause its a fish per cast. Heck I was getting a photo and caught another with my fly dangling in the water. Tie simple easy patterns as they will get shreaded. I use stainless hooks as they last for two seasons at least and always pinch the barbs. Unfortunately the last couple of years ice out was very early so when lakes opened the post spawn was long over. But there was still some fun to be had
Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
I've tried several different patterns, but have probably had most success on simplistic ones (buggers, deceivers, clousers). I think I fall back to these as they are easier to manage with my mediocre casting skills. I have tied this one, and while fun to use I find anything this big tough to manage on a windy day, even with an 8# rod.

I have a white crystal bugger variant in my box (tied with a little extra schlappen at the tail) that looks like the dog's breakfast after catching 20+ fish over the past couple of years. Still toss it out there from time to time, as pike don't really seem to care what shape the fly is in. I typically only take pike flies outta my box once they have completely fallen apart, or the hook breaks off (which has happened to a couple of articulated ones).

I hear ya with regards to casting skill. I had a real hard time managing the big flies when I started out. Then I discovered the importance of a double haul. A good double haul makes things a whole lot more manageable. It is easier on your casting arm and gives you the ability to chuck the "meat" out there a long ways!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Even the very best pike fly will only make it through 20 pike before disintegrating, dying a glorious death. Even then, the fly will still catch pike.

You can catch them on 'dries', poppers, mouse, and frog patterns, but there is nothing light and delicate about them. Super, super fun. However, throwing an unweighted bright streamer and retrieving it just a few centimetres below the surface has the same effect, and might catch a few more fish.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Started in Talbot Lake about 25 years ago.
Best flies were big Muddlers in either red & white or in green and yellow. Tied on 2/0 tandem salmon hooks with some crystal flash and lots of marabou. Also had good fun with big poppers. Eyes make a big difference. Two or three decent fish per fly. Best leaders made with 10lb Williams 10 lb trolling wire made up to 20lb mono with and Albright knot.
One guy drives and the other guy stands on the seat wearing polarised sunglasses
Most fun you can have sight fishing outside of the tropics
Old 11-05-2016, 11:21 PM

Chuck and duck for sure. 8 wt rod large arbour reel on a pontoon .great fun.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Been fishing for them with the long rod since I have been fishing with the long rod!!
Total riot for. sure .......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-11-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:01 PM

Caught my first one on a fly 2 years ago while fishing a small nymph for whites and since then have targeted them on purpose and yes it is lots of fun
Old 11-11-2016, 10:58 AM

Try Wollaston lake lodge for some truly terrifying pike on the fly.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
How many guys on here target pike with the fly? I recently started targeting them with the fly and it has been a blast. Far and away the most exciting fishing I have done. Some of the takes are savage! Just curious who else on here targets pike on the fly?
Nothing but bad intentions, aggression and madness. Love tying huge pike flies as well there like the drag queens of the fly world haha.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Default Pike on the fly

Ive been thinking about trying it out, maybe I will next year. What weight rod do you use?... I need to buy my gear for it. Does anybody catch walleye on the fly?
Old 11-20-2016, 05:29 PM

got my first pike on the fly rod this fall, it was great, and my first second third and so on walleye up to a 13 pounder, just as much fun I thought, bend the 8 weight pretty good!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-20-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Ive been thinking about trying it out, maybe I will next year. What weight rod do you use?... I need to buy my gear for it. Does anybody catch walleye on the fly?
8 wt is a good choice. I've been using an 8 wt Loomis GL3 with the Rio 8 wt F/I, can flip out 6 inch bunny streamers reasonably well.

The walleye in Wabamun will take the red/white bunny streamer quite well, just a matter of finding them first!
Old 11-21-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
An 8wt is a good start. You can use heavier rods, but an 8wt is one of the most useful rods to have in your collection. On still water, i find that I catch walleye in spring and early summer, especially in the evenings. I never specifically target walleye. I just usually have them as a by-product, like swinging streamers in the Red Deer River for brown trout, and I will usually catch more walleye than brown trout.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:34 PM

Ok here is a question that doesn't get asked that often. For the guys that are fly fishing pike what do you guys use for line? Sinking tip? Intermediate sinking? Type 3 sinking?

I have an 8 wt with floating line tried it once but then switched back to casting. I should try it again but floating line doesn't seem like the right choice of line.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Ok here is a question that doesn't get asked that often. For the guys that are fly fishing pike what do you guys use for line? Sinking tip? Intermediate sinking? Type 3 sinking?

I have an 8 wt with floating line tried it once but then switched back to casting. I should try it again but floating line doesn't seem like the right choice of line.
Rav,

I fished a Rio Outbound Short Hover (sinks at 0.5-1ips) and the Outbound Short Intermediate (sinks at 2ips) for pike in Northern Manitoba for the season. Both are great especially over the floating. Even during early spring post spawn fishing in that 1-3FOW. Cabbage fishing was best done with the Intermediate line.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Rav,

I fished a Rio Outbound Short Hover (sinks at 0.5-1ips) and the Outbound Short Intermediate (sinks at 2ips) for pike in Northern Manitoba for the season. Both are great especially over the floating. Even during early spring post spawn fishing in that 1-3FOW. Cabbage fishing was best done with the Intermediate line.
I also use an intermediate line 1.5-2.0 ips sink rate---definitely better than a floating line. I only use a floating line if I fishing topwater or if I want to stay above a weedbed (combined, this is less than 20% of pike fly fishing).
Old 11-23-2016, 07:01 PM

I was thinking intermediate or type 3 would probably be best, I will have to keep my eyes open for some cheap line.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:35 PM

Cabela's might still have the Rio Musky/Pike F/I (intermediate sink tip) line still available in their bargain cave section, about $50 I think. The 9 wt line is easily handled on a fast action 8 wt rod, not sure if the 10 wt would be too much overload.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Cabela's might still have the Rio Musky/Pike F/I (intermediate sink tip) line still available in their bargain cave section, about $50 I think. The 9 wt line is easily handled on a fast action 8 wt rod, not sure if the 10 wt would be too much overload.

If they have that line it's a bargain. Cost me 45 bucks I think. I have the 10 wt intermediate line on my 9wt rod. Just a perfect combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk