Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2023, 09:59 AM

Default Cost to recover and change out bumpers on pool table?

Now that the kids are older, I'm thinking it's time to refresh the pool table. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate to have a pool table recovered and bumpers replaced in the Calgary area?

While I'm at it I should also get the levels checked - they're pretty good but not perfect.

It's a standard sized Brunswick.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:06 AM

On Facebook Marketplace there is a company called Pool Boyz in Edmonton.

I had intended to have a table I was given refurbished and re assembled. Quote was $1800 for Bar grade (Commercial) water resistant felt and G66 bumpers.

I ended up buying an AMF Playmaster in Maple from Pool Boyz which they refurbished and assembled for $2600 with the G66 bumpers, and the commercial felt.

Alot of tables are not worth the work. If it is nothing but MDF with vaneer, well, there are better options in an antique table that is refurbished.

But if you have say a Brunswick Gold Crown, and it is older, and it is solid mahogany or maple, with honed( Not Poured) slate, with lion claw legs, then it is definately worth it.

Drewski
Old 02-05-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
On Facebook Marketplace there is a company called Pool Boyz in Edmonton.

I had intended to have a table I was given refurbished and re assembled. Quote was $1800 for Bar grade (Commercial) water resistant felt and G66 bumpers.

I ended up buying an AMF Playmaster in Maple from Pool Boyz which they refurbished and assembled for $2600 with the G66 bumpers, and the commercial felt.

Alot of tables are not worth the work. If it is nothing but MDF with vaneer, well, there are better options in an antique table that is refurbished.

But if you have say a Brunswick Gold Crown, and it is older, and it is solid mahogany or maple, with honed( Not Poured) slate, with lion claw legs, then it is definately worth it.

Drewski
Not sure what model it is (table came with the house) but its oak with the lion claw legs. I may just take a stab at DIY. $200 for 20oz felt and $100 for K66 bumpers, and probably a few hours of researching YouTube videos...
Old 02-05-2023, 08:59 PM

Sorry K66 not G66, but you know what I mean.

Take a tape measure and see if it is a regulation table, being 3.5 foot x 9 foot. It actually may be an old Brunswick Monarch and usually the better tables have a metal plate with the model on the end. It could be a Gold Crown for all you know. When Brunswick bought the Bayliner and Mercury lines, for a few years AMF was building Brunswick Pool tables. Look underneath and see if there is any stickers on the slate describing it as italian slate or honed italian slate.

Having seen the table disassembled, it really looks like a skillful stretching and stapling exercise once the wood and the pocket have been removed. If you have leather mesh pockets, it may be time to do some dubbin or leather treatment on the mesh pockets to soften up the leather. Just don't use the table for a couple weeks and keep the balls out of the pocket and wipe the leather very clean so there is no greasy residue on the leather that can transfer to the pool balls. Old leather pockets dry out badily in our climate.

Either way, it will play alot better once the new bumpers are on and the new felt is stretched. Lots of colour choices these days so you can get something other than green or burgandy.

Drewski
Old 02-05-2023, 10:12 PM

Try something like this instead of dubin on the leather... less greasy.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Take a tape measure and see if it is a regulation table, being 3.5 foot x 9 foot.

Drewski
You mean 4.5 foot x 9 foot.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Take a tape measure and see if it is a regulation table, being 3.5 foot x 9 foot. It actually may be an old Brunswick Monarch and usually the better tables have a metal plate with the model on the end. It could be a Gold Crown for all you know. When Brunswick bought the Bayliner and Mercury lines, for a few years AMF was building Brunswick Pool tables. Look underneath and see if there is any stickers on the slate describing it as italian slate or honed italian slate.

Having seen the table disassembled, it really looks like a skillful stretching and stapling exercise once the wood and the pocket have been removed. If you have leather mesh pockets, it may be time to do some dubbin or leather treatment on the mesh pockets to soften up the leather. Just don't use the table for a couple weeks and keep the balls out of the pocket and wipe the leather very clean so there is no greasy residue on the leather that can transfer to the pool balls. Old leather pockets dry out badily in our climate.

Either way, it will play alot better once the new bumpers are on and the new felt is stretched. Lots of colour choices these days so you can get something other than green or burgandy.

Drewski
I don't think it's terribly fancy. It does have leather mesh pockets and clawfoot legs. Here's the closest image to it I could find online (but without the pocket tassels). When I'm home I'll crawl under it and see if there's more info.
https://www.pooltablemechanics.com/b...3e1a3054c91d-4
Old 02-06-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I don't think it's terribly fancy. It does have leather mesh pockets and clawfoot legs. Here's the closest image to it I could find online (but without the pocket tassels). When I'm home I'll crawl under it and see if there's more info.
https://www.pooltablemechanics.com/b...3e1a3054c91d-4
Can you post a couple pics one of the name plate and any surrounding markings/lettering and one of a side/corner with the pocket with the leg might be able to help out

As far as recommends
I bought and got him to do a 6x12 snooker table a few years ago and he did a good job but he is not sure he is still doing it and the reviews are not great on him so...
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...45-6Sb9bs&_rdr

I talked to this guy
https://www.ace-billiards.com/
and this guy
https://www.facebook.com/mikesbilliardservice/
Both look like they do good work

As far a cost anymore no clue, mine was a big table and was before COVID I do remember the cloth its self was around 1200, but thats snooker cloth

Last edited by nitro; 02-06-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
You mean 4.5 foot x 9 foot.
I looked it up, andf while there are 3.5 (44" x104") World of Billiards 9 Ball tables, there are also a raft of other table sizes that I did not know also were "regulation" tables, right down to the old 4' x 8' Bar tables that alot of people are familiar with.

All the same, these old tables are often of much better quality than what is sold these days, so he could have a truely great table and not even know it!

Irony is, that alot of the guys who refurbish tables get the table for the sweat equity of moving the table because the home owner wants to sell and Realtors want a roomy basement to show off.

Drewski
Old 02-06-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I looked it up, andf while there are 3.5 (44" x104") World of Billiards 9 Ball tables, there are also a raft of other table sizes that I did not know also were "regulation" tables, right down to the old 4' x 8' Bar tables that alot of people are familiar with.

All the same, these old tables are often of much better quality than what is sold these days, so he could have a truely great table and not even know it!

Irony is, that alot of the guys who refurbish tables get the table for the sweat equity of moving the table because the home owner wants to sell and Realtors want a roomy basement to show off.

Drewski
Very true. I had Alberta Billiards in Calgary build my 9' x 4.5' "playing suface" with 1" Italian slate table 9 years or so ago. Cost was around 4k at that time. Dark stained solid maple. Wanted a 10' x 5' but didn't quite have the cue room. He did say that 3/4" slate was consumer grade and that 7/8" minimum is what you want in a quality table. Who am I to argue. Bar tables are 7' x 3.5' if I remember correctly. Regardless. it seems table length is almost always twice the width.

Last edited by Okotok; 02-06-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:23 PM

When I bought a condo last year, it came with a regulation pool table because the owner did not want to move it. This topic has encouraged me to recover it and start using it. I ordered felt and a pneumatic stapler from Amazon. In my former house I owned a 12' snooker table that the purchaser wanted so it went with the house. I recovered that table twice but stopped playing more than 10 years ago when there was no friends left to play. It became a hobby work table for my RC planes and I suspect that will be the fate of this pool table too.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
When I bought a condo last year, it came with a regulation pool table because the owner did not want to move it. This topic has encouraged me to recover it and start using it. I ordered felt and a pneumatic stapler from Amazon. In my former house I owned a 12' snooker table that the purchaser wanted so it went with the house. I recovered that table twice but stopped playing more than 10 years ago when there was no friends left to play. It became a hobby work table for my RC planes and I suspect that will be the fate of this pool table too.
I used to play a lot of snooker on the 12' table during my misspent youth. It's incredible now how far away and small those pockets are!
Old 02-06-2023, 07:31 PM

Not sure what the cost of moving a pool table is , but when i placed an offer on a house I was asked if i wanted to buy the table for $2000. it was only a year old .
I said no thank you nicely .
When the offer was excepted I came back to the house to finish the paper work and the pool table was no longer in the house and the owner said he was going to try and sell it somewhere .
On the day I got the keys the owner meet me for one more walk threw and he surprised me when we went back down stairs .
He had the pool table installed back into the basement .
Yes it was a slate table and a new top was put on .
Said it was in storage and no one even came and looked at it in 60 days .
So gave it t me as a move in gift .
Very nice guy .
Old 02-06-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
Can you post a couple pics one of the name plate and any surrounding markings/lettering and one of a side/corner with the pocket with the leg might be able to help out

As far as recommends
I bought and got him to do a 6x12 snooker table a few years ago and he did a good job but he is not sure he is still doing it and the reviews are not great on him so...
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...45-6Sb9bs&_rdr

I talked to this guy
and this guy

As far a cost anymore no clue, mine was a big table and was before COVID I do remember the cloth its self was around 1200, but thats snooker cloth
Here's a pic. Like I said, it's pretty middle of the road but in good shape. Model is a Brunswick Dakota II circa 1996. It only has the oak veneer on the cabinet but has the 1" slate upgrade over the 3/4". I think I'll give it a try to DIY - worst case I'm out $300 in materials.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:22 PM

That's a good looking table. Definitely worth fixing up.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
I talked to this guy
and this guy
I can vouch for Mike - he moved and installed my table (5'x9'), and also does work for one of my league teammates - put new cloth and rails with pro-cut pockets on his 8-footer. Quality work and reasonable rates.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:33 PM

The job took me about 12 hours to finish. I went with the traditional felt cloth rather than the worsted. Having played snooker most of my life, anything but green looks strange.

Last edited by badger; 02-15-2023 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
The job took me about 12 hours to finish. I went with the traditional felt cloth rather than the worsted. Having played snooker most of my life, anything but green looks strange.
Looks great! Was this your first go? Any specific tool (eg. pneumatic stapler) or online instruction recommendations ?

The more I research it, the more I'm thinking of giving DIY a try. Now, if I can only find an Oilers cloth that doesn't cost $800!
Old 02-16-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Now, if I can only find an Oilers cloth that doesn't cost $800!
$800 for a poop emoji??!?!!????!!!!

😀
Old 02-16-2023, 03:37 PM

That is the third table I have covered, after watching a tech do my table the first time. Power stapler is essential, about 400 staples removed and same number driven. Many useful YouTube vids on the process, mostly similar. My stretching method is different just because it is familiar.