Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Y2Y policy is no white people hunting or fishing. NCC is working with Y2Y.

You can’t hide behind the screen or the paperwork anymore, we know how ecoextremists operate.

As a longtime NCC supporter this is fairly concerning news to me. Where can I learn more about this?
Old 02-01-2023, 04:42 PM

Yes 3blade shows us the facts please.....or are you just throwing out a theory?
Old 02-01-2023, 04:51 PM

^ Their partners (last one in the list): https://www.natureconservancy.ca/en/...ewardship.html

For the Midgeley Conservation Area, they say:

The Midgeley Conservation Area is the newest addition to the Nature Conservancy of Canada's (NCC's) wildlife corridor initiative in southeastern British Columbia. The project aims to make it easier for an isolated population of grizzlies to connect with a larger bear population to the east.

[…]

The Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative (Y2Y) played a key role in this project. The joint U.S.-Canada organization works to ensure that wild animals are able to move through and around human communities and activities within the 1.3-square-kilometre Yellowstone to Yukon region. Y2Y provided half the purchase funds for the property. It also helped fund the research that identified the significance of this parcel.

Additional funding for the project came from TD Bank Group, through its TD Forests program, the Columbia Basin Trust, Fish and Wildlife Compensation Program, Donner Canadian Foundation and the Kootenay Conservation Program.

This is just from quick google search and the two out of the top three results.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Their partners (last one in the list): https://www.natureconservancy.ca/en/...ewardship.html

For the Midgeley Conservation Area, they say:

The Midgeley Conservation Area is the newest addition to the Nature Conservancy of Canada's (NCC's) wildlife corridor initiative in southeastern British Columbia. The project aims to make it easier for an isolated population of grizzlies to connect with a larger bear population to the east.

[…]

The Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative (Y2Y) played a key role in this project. The joint U.S.-Canada organization works to ensure that wild animals are able to move through and around human communities and activities within the 1.3-square-kilometre Yellowstone to Yukon region. Y2Y provided half the purchase funds for the property. It also helped fund the research that identified the significance of this parcel.

Additional funding for the project came from TD Bank Group, through its TD Forests program, the Columbia Basin Trust, Fish and Wildlife Compensation Program, Donner Canadian Foundation and the Kootenay Conservation Program.

This is just from quick google search and the two out of the top three results.

Yes, it’s easy to find info about these organizations working together - personally, I’m concerned with the allegation of restricting access by race, or restricting hunting access altogether

Y2Y has hunting, trapping and fishing statements which sound very reasonable to me. Can’t find anything to support 3blade’s concerning claims

https://y2y.net/about/vision-mission...es-principles/
Old 02-01-2023, 05:07 PM
Banned

Oh lord, here we go again
Old 02-01-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
How has round up effected wildlife numbers in farming lands? They seem to thrive in it with many more applications too.
Do farmers spray in the bush?

There is a dramatic difference (reduction) in available ungulate feed when herbicides are sprayed in non-agricultural areas.

B.C. has some very good and recent data on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Oh lord, here we go again
Yup, And again....

Y2Y scrubbed their original public anti-hunting statement to the current undefinable politispeak.

Vingui, research how Y2Y made agreements with First Nations to gain their support, where hunting could continue on the land, but only for First Nations. Yes, Y2Y long ago stooped to being a racist organization.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-01-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Do farmers spray in the bush?

There is a dramatic difference (reduction) in available ungulate feed when herbicides are sprayed in non-agricultural areas.

B.C. has some very good and recent data on this matter.
Yes they do, if they are clearing it. Once cleared the ungulates feed on it all day long. I can spend a day pounding dense bush or waiting and see a hand full of animals or I can sit on the edge of farm land and see dozens of animals congregating on the easy feed.

Much like hunting a burn after a forest fire. It’s funny once all the trees are gone the grasses really take off and the ungulates flock to those areas. The BC university may disagree with my conclusions but I’ve never had an empty freezer using these methods for hunting.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:53 PM

Can someone post a cake recipe I would like to make a cake and eat it to for scientific reasons.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingiu View Post
Yes, it’s easy to find info about these organizations working together - personally, I’m concerned with the allegation of restricting access by race, or restricting hunting access altogether

Y2Y has hunting, trapping and fishing statements which sound very reasonable to me. Can’t find anything to support 3blade’s concerning claims

https://y2y.net/about/vision-mission...es-principles/
Then your very new to the scene or haven’t been paying attention.

Y2Y had strongly worded statements along the lines of no predator hunting, FN hunting being acceptable (so there’s your defining hunting access by race) and the elimination of resource extraction (yes that includes keeping fish). They changed the website to avoid criticism. They also funded the political attack on grizzly hunting in Alberta and BC.

KVT (former BHA executive and now back room big shot, Y2Y founding member) has been a long time anti hunter, he draws sheep tags and doesn’t shoot, was pushing that strategy to his ecoterrorists. When I brought up the inequality of the FN hunts in Jasper and Banff and asked for a BHA public statement on the matter, he had me banned. Plenty of racist and antihunting sentiment in his books as well.

You can look up AVB and all his crap, same organizations.

The former NDP environment minister Shannon Phillips is a card carrying Y2Y member, we all know what happened to the castle and all the lies that were told there.

So if that’s who the NCC is working with, to hell with them.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Can someone post a cake recipe I would like to make a cake and eat it to for scientific reasons.
I want someone else to make mine.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:42 PM

From Y2Y page (I believe 2020):
With respect to Indigenous Peoples, Y2Y recognizes that hunting, trapping, fishing and gathering are long-standing cultural and spiritual practices that are the subject of treaty and/or constitutionally protected rights.

With respect to hunting by non-Indigenous Peoples, Y2Y:
supports fair chase principles as an important part of an ethical framework for hunting and opposes hunting of captive game animals.
__________________________________________________ __________

Need some clarification Walking Buffalo, is this just a lie, or have they changed their declaration since 2020? Looking for some truth
Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 PM

Last edited by KBF; 02-01-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Bit of a mixed message there: saving the forage for wild ungulates but letting Cattle graze it off?
Grazing days and number of animals will be regulated. There’s a longer article on the NCC website
Old 02-01-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I want someone else to make mine.
Can you be given a cake there for have a cake and eat it too? And when does π come into this? If one have being given a cake, and have not in fact eaten the entire thing would that be having it both ways using the formula A = (½) × r 2 × [(π/180) θ – sin θ] to determine the decadence one has consumed and there for have remaining? There are pie charts for this to visually see how much has been eaten of a circle and how much remains. I think you can have it both ways if you don’t keep it all to your self.

Last edited by Dubious; 02-01-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:26 PM

Doesn't bother me. As I identify as a indigenous, trinary hunter, varminter and sometimes fisher person. Should give me free and easy access. It all depends on how you play the game
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Then your very new to the scene or haven’t been paying attention.
I've been supporting NCC for somewhere between 5 and 10 years. Spend 30+ days a year on NCC, ACA, DUC lands and I have never encountered issues like you describe. My apologies if that hasn't been long enough to see such nefarious dealings like the ones you describe with Y2Y.

These are genuinely concerning claims and I am curious to learn more, but frankly a loosely blended mix of initials and unfounded accusations is doing nothing for your case. Cheers

Last edited by tirebob; 02-02-2023 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Removed needless comment.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Bit of a mixed message there: saving the forage for wild ungulates but letting Cattle graze it off?
As someone who lives in the “yarrow “ area , I know first hand that the ungulates come in large numbers to graze behind the cattle to get the sweet second growth . The land will have a sound grazing plan. Also cattle are needed in this area for fire suppression, Waterton left ungrazed land and we were felt the Kenow fire .
Old 02-02-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
As someone who lives in the “yarrow “ area , I know first hand that the ungulates come in large numbers to graze behind the cattle to get the sweet second growth . The land will have a sound grazing plan. Also cattle are needed in this area for fire suppression, Waterton left ungrazed land and we were felt the Kenow fire .
We need a “thanks” button for posts that give us actual information that encourages us to research a bit more. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:31 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Once you eat your cake, it's gone....
OMG! It took 52 years but you are the first person to ever explain it like that and all of a sudden it makes total sense. On top of that make me feel like an idiot that I never caught on to that before...

Well done sir!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-02-2023, 10:13 AM

https://www.eastonspectator.com/2023...-into-details/

https://twitter.com/RoseAlberta1/sta...02266429796352
Old 02-03-2023, 01:40 PM

This is right from the Y2Y webpage:

The Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative (Y2Y) is committed to the long-term ecological health of wildlife populations and wildlife habitat within the Yellowstone to Yukon region.

Within this context, Y2Y supports hunting, trapping, fishing and gathering, recognizing that these activities:

are an important part of social, cultural histories and traditions
are part of the economy and food security of the Yellowstone to Yukon region
can help to maintain or manage fish and wildlife population health
are generally sustainable when:
the rules and regulations of federal, Indigenous, and provincial/state/territorial governments concerning access and harvest numbers are informed by the best available evidence, including science and Indigenous and local knowledge, and
hunters, trappers and anglers follow applicable rules and regulations.

With respect to Indigenous Peoples, Y2Y recognizes that hunting, trapping, fishing and gathering are long-standing cultural and spiritual practices that are the subject of treaty and/or constitutionally protected rights.

With respect to hunting by non-Indigenous Peoples, Y2Y:
supports fair chase principles as an important part of an ethical framework for hunting and opposes hunting of captive game animals.

Y2Y also recognizes

the legitimacy of temporarily or permanently setting aside selected areas in which hunting, fishing, or trapping are not permitted, based on science and Indigenous and local knowledge, to help protect wildlife populations and their genes, and to act as source populations for the broader landscape
that ecologically healthy landscapes should generally be able to support sustainably managed and regulated hunting, trapping, fishing, and gathering.

Last revised: December 2020

That took all of 15 seconds to look up. I suggest all interested people go check out the Y2Y website:
https://y2y.net/about/vision-mission/

Nothing there about only allowing natives to hunt.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
X2 on the thanks button.

I drive that area between CNP and Waterton, Cardston area and love it. I personally would hate to see the larger pieces of land chopped up into acreages.
The Nature Conservancy might appeal to some ranchers for similar reasons I would think.

It's a beautiful place but I wouldn't want to have to make a living on it.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:35 PM

Its amazing how much Y2Y love that has recently appeared on this forum. The Patagonia people are infiltrating us at an alarming rate. I think we need to start calling a spade a spade and out these traitors. They do not have our best interests in mind. It's all about locking users out of the back country for their own special interests.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
Its amazing how much Y2Y love that has recently appeared on this forum. The Patagonia people are infiltrating us at an alarming rate. I think we need to start calling a spade a spade and out these traitors. They do not have our best interests in mind. It's all about locking users out of the back country for their own special interests.
I own a Patagonia touque, so I guess you got me there.

Pretty sure this thread has nothing to do with Backcountry. NCC bought a ranch.

I'm neither for or against Y2Y. From what I see and hear, they don't evoke fear or rage or hate in me like they obviously do in some people on here.

As for this ranch becoming NCC land and how that will effect future hunting access, it was probably not easy to get access before and from what I know about accessing other NCC properties, it might get a little easier for the average Joe to access.

So what's the big deal exactly?
Old 02-04-2023, 03:49 PM

A bunch of these deals are just easements on the land. NCC pays a sum to the rancher to not develop the property, add a bunch of buildings or greatly disturb the habitat. So the rancher gets to stay on the place with a pocket full of money and the land stays intact. Sounds pretty nefarious alright.

Not sure these ranchers were allowing a free for all of hunting access to begin with.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
I own a Patagonia touque, so I guess you got me there.

Pretty sure this thread has nothing to do with Backcountry. NCC bought a ranch.

I'm neither for or against Y2Y. From what I see and hear, they don't evoke fear or rage or hate in me like they obviously do in some people on here.

As for this ranch becoming NCC land and how that will effect future hunting access, it was probably not easy to get access before and from what I know about accessing other NCC properties, it might get a little easier for the average Joe to access.

So what's the big deal exactly?
When Y2Y comes for your public land you will see what the big deal is. Can you name an NCC property that is now easier to access?
Old 02-04-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
When Y2Y comes for your public land you will see what the big deal is. Can you name an NCC property that is now easier to access?
Actually I do know of a few that are easier to access than before. It’s just some hunter’s dislike the booking in system.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I called a NCC property in wmu 303 and was given bow access no problem. It was very easy. I know another guy who it was that easy for him as well.
I even got called back from two different people, both the same day. I don't know how easy it was to access before being NCC land, but it sure was easy for me.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Here's a short list of things that might threaten my ability to get out and hunt that concern me more than Y2Y:

#1, health/injuries
2, ability to draw a quality tag
3, having a decent population of critters to chase after
4, being able to get the time off work during the season.

Hippies coming for all the land doesn't make the list.

Tags
ncc, waterton