Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Went to Cuba on a group trip, live aboard, Jardines de la Reina

It was all in all technically an 8 day adventures but the return flight put us into day 9.

Still the trip went like this

Caught the 12:05 am flight to Toronto and then the 10:05 am flight to Cuba… arriving 1:50 pm in Cuba.

All flights on time and all luggage arrived. Yippee. I took an extra large duffel bag of stuff to give away to Cubans.

Our one snag was we now had a 5.5 hour bus ride to get to the Jucaro Port but we arrived around 8 pm.

We had dinner, settled into the room and set up all our fly rods for the next day. Overnight the boat motored to the base in the outer islands.

I found the fishing rod be excellent in most places we tried. We caught lots of bones, cast to and hooked up many tarpon and saw 10+ permit a day. We also saw lots of other species.

On top of that we saw Hutus ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmarest%27s_hutia ), American crocodiles, dolphins, tons of sharks from 2-7 feet long.

The boat was huge and had a big platform off the back. I ended up catching a tarpon and hooking a few others. Also caught a few other species at night.

Guides were great and spoke better English than I.

Evenings were a blur due to a constant flow of mojitos, wine, beer and shots of rum.

Food was very good with lobster every night for dinner and fresh fish most nights. Breakfast for me was scrambled eggs and bacon. Lunches were a mixed course of veggies, meat, fruit. I put on weight. Sigh.

The thrill of bonefish will never end for me. Stalking them in shallow water. Making a long perfect cast and then hanging on for the ride. Deeper groups could be found in 1-6 feet of water. Average size was around 20 inch.

Tarpon were the most abundant I’ve seen in Cuba. With schools of 20-50 fish in sizes ranging from 15 - 40 lbs. the occasion monster around but most have migrated away. Still… if you have never felt the strike of a tarpon then you don’t know what you are missing. It’s explosive and jolting. Then the jumps are crazy wild.

Didn’t catch a permit, cast to a few and had a few short follows. They are so picking most of the time.

Didn’t see a ton of Barracuda but there were a few around. Saw lots of yellowtail snapper and mangrove snapper. Saw some monster cubera snapper prowling the shallow reef.

I cast my full since 11 weight down to the reef. That was a blast. Caught a 5 foot lemon shark on a fly. Amazing fight. Also caught some African pompano that found like high speed tanks.

I had most of what I needed such as gear and flies. I know some new tarpon flies I’ll tie. Plus I took two eight weight, one 10 weight floating and one 11 weight full sink.

Next trip I’ll take two eight weights, a floating 9 or 10 weight, intermediate sink 10 weight and an 11 weight.

By the end of the trip we were exhausted. Looking forward to some rest and pleased with the experience. Our group got a great deal and we are looking to go again if we can get the group together and land another deal.

Trip home was a reverse of the arrival and without much difference.

So now we just live in the memories in between shovelling snow.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-05-2022, 10:35 AM

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-05-2022, 10:37 AM

Old 11-05-2022, 10:40 AM

Old 11-05-2022, 10:43 AM

Old 11-05-2022, 10:45 AM

Not the biggest I landed but unfortunately the guide lost his grip when picking it up for the photo.

But still I jumped about six 25-40 pounders, lost all but one on their 5th jumps.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:47 AM

Probably my most memorable fish of the trip.

This was the trip I posted about looking for others to come and enjoy the steep discount.

We all had a blast. I would do it again in a heart beat. We are looking into a 2023 trip.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

That looks like a complete blast start to finish!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That looks like a complete blast start to finish!
I’m still amazed I went. It was truly a dream fishing trip in all aspects. If I can get the same deal and enough anglers to lock it up then I hope to try a similar lodge next year.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:18 PM

Great post!!
Yeah, who cannot love bonefish. So fun...
That tarpon sound amazing and I would love to get into one someday.
Any pics of the lemon shark? That would have been something I'm sure.

What is the most memorable fish you have at bottom?

Thanks for the post and report.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:35 PM

Should also say the weather was perfect.

Also found out high tide isn’t the best for bonefish as they can feed way into the mangroves.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 11-06-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Great post!!
Yeah, who cannot love bonefish. So fun...
That tarpon sound amazing and I would love to get into one someday.
Any pics of the lemon shark? That would have been something I'm sure.

What is the most memorable fish you have at bottom?

Thanks for the post and report.
Just videos of the shark. Most memorable fish of the trip for me was a split between a 35 pound tarpon and the African pompano.

Hooked a huge fish stripping up from the reef but never saw it.

Took this screen shot of the lemon.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:40 PM

Awesome! Looks like a fantastic trip! I might have to get over my issues of contributing to a communist regime and consider a fishing trip to Cuba.

Peter

-Confucius
Old 11-07-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Just videos of the shark. Most memorable fish of the trip for me was a split between a 35 pound tarpon and the African pompano.

Hooked a huge fish stripping up from the reef but never saw it.

Took this screen shot of the lemon.
Yeah, I could see that with the tarpon and pompano. I would probably be the same as most memorable.

Some pompanos can get big! Had to google that one. Need looking fish. And apparently very tasty.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:03 PM

That looks like a terrific trip, Sun. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-07-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Awesome! Looks like a fantastic trip! I might have to get over my issues of contributing to a communist regime and consider a fishing trip to Cuba.

Peter
Well. If we can get another screaming deal for a group of us… we will be booking again. Welcome to join.

Would be cool to have an AOF trip.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yeah, I could see that with the tarpon and pompano. I would probably be the same as most memorable.

Some pompanos can get big! Had to google that one. Need looking fish. And apparently very tasty.
Didn’t eat these. Put them back.

The tarpon are explosive biters. An unreal fight and an incredible all round fish.

I could alternate between bones and tarpon all day.
Old 11-12-2022, 02:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks for posting all these pics bud! I am so jealous! I might just have to try and maybe plan for something like this if you are organizing another trip...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-15-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Thanks for posting all these pics bud! I am so jealous! I might just have to try and maybe plan for something like this if you are organizing another trip...
I am working on getting a great deal for a group to a spot in Cubs during the big tarpon migration. Plus there would be smaller tarpon plus lots of bonefish and snook and some permit.

Fingers crossed.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:10 AM

Default cuba way back when dollar was par

cuba 229.jpg
Old 11-16-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Yup. That’s what I’m looking to chase in April
Old 11-18-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Probably my most memorable fish of the trip.

This was the trip I posted about looking for others to come and enjoy the steep discount.

We all had a blast. I would do it again in a heart beat. We are looking into a 2023 trip.
That is a crazy looking fish. Almost hard to understand if it is translucent or mirror, haha.

Thanks for posting, Sun.

What’s the ballpark cost of a trip like this?
Old 11-23-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That is a crazy looking fish. Almost hard to understand if it is translucent or mirror, haha.

Thanks for posting, Sun.

What’s the ballpark cost of a trip like this?
Excluding airfare and any need to stay extra nights in Varadero due to flight timing…the regular cost during peak season is $13,400 US. Off peak is $8000 US… plus about $350 US in tips. Peak gives you large migrating tarpon. We went off peak for a screaming 1/2 price deal.

Company called me with another screaming deal… this time with large tarpon at another similar lodge. $4000 US. I’ll post details on the other thread today. Only have 4 spots… so three left to get the deal.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:29 AM

looks like an amazing time out there! super jealous of ya, especially that last one!

cheers and tight lines!
Old 11-24-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylane19 View Post
looks like an amazing time out there! super jealous of ya, especially that last one!
It was a blast. I’d go again if we can put 4 anglers together for a trip.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:41 PM

Looks like great trip. 🤠🥃
Old 11-25-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Looks like great trip. 🤠🥃
It was chock full of amazing fishing memories. Happy I went all round.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:26 PM
Banned

Great post!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!