Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-19-2022, 08:02 PM

Default Mechanical vs fixed

Debut of the Day...
fixed or mechanical broad heads. I recently read an article stating basically stating if you have a long draw length and heavy draw weight, mechanical broad heads are the way to go.

thoughts opinions?
Old 07-19-2022, 08:07 PM

Shot mechanicals for one year and shot a deer and moose. The deer was a pass through at roughly 20 yards and the blood trail was pretty insane, the moose however was right at 34, broke a blade on the way in and didn’t penetrate fully with next to no blood. We did find him but it took a while. Switched to iron wills the year after that and I won’t be going back to a mechanical. Some guys love them but I’d prefer a 2 blade fixed with bleeders and I draw 30” 70lbs
Old 07-19-2022, 08:35 PM

so many variables.

what game, what kind of hunt (spot and stalk vs blind), speed out of the bow, bow tuned or not.

I think if you are serious about bowhunting there is no reason to not use a fixed blade. If you dont have the time then mechanicals may be for you.

Mechanicals arent any more accurate than fixed out of a properly setup rig, but typically have a larger cutting diameter. They also might fail to open or break on opening.

I shoot fixed because I want to eliminate the possibility of the mechanical failing.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:52 PM

I've had good results with fixed blade 4-blade Zwickey heads, replaceable fixed blade 3-blade heads and for the past decade mechanical expandables. Presently shoot 3-blade NAP Spitfire 1.5" mechanical heads.....had good blood trails, get excellent arrow flight, and they are adequately tough. Biggest critter with them was a dandy polar bear. Also have arrowed an elk, 6 black bears, a couple Coues bucks plus a Dall ram and a couple caribou with the Spitfires.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:11 PM

I just shoot a fixed 3 blade, it’s done the trick in 20+ deer and the only time I used a mechanical I had a failure of a blade to open. I won’t give them another chance, if it was a bigger animal it may have gone poorly. I shoot a 70 lb 32 inch draw.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:35 PM

If you have some time and enjoy podcasts listen to this one. It’s quite interesting.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQIAxAH&ep=6
Old 07-19-2022, 10:11 PM

I shoot 70 Lbs at 31 Inch draw

I would never hunt with a mechanical broadhead

I just do not see the argument for them over a fixed blade

Most people are able to easily tune a fixed blade on an average arrow build and you can never have a failure to open.

I would be trading these significant advantages for very little
Old 07-19-2022, 11:10 PM

I prefer fixed there less to go wrong. I hate it when the mechanicals get caught on grass or twigs when it’s game time and they break their collars. I’ve shot game with both and both worked guess I’m just picky about the little stuff.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Fixed. Cut on impact broadhead.
Deadly on all bow poundage settings and is the most reliable broadhead to get the job done....providing you do your part.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-20-2022, 08:28 AM

Have heard this debate Since the 70's. Tried a lot of both, laugh at me but I still use and favour my old Bear razorheads. Still have a bunch from way back.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-20-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Fixed. Cut on impact broadhead.
Deadly on all bow poundage settings and is the most reliable broadhead to get the job done....providing you do your part.
This.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:00 PM

Mechanicals are often used by those who “couldn’t get a fixed head to work””. What that translates to is, they weren’t able to properly tune their bow for fixed head flight.

Whether using a fixed or a mechanical… the bow/arrow/broad head all needs to be tuned together correctly.

I have killed many things with both mechanical and fixed, both have benefits and draw backs. Often I’ll have some of each in my quiver, however every single individual arrow in my quiver has been shot/tuned to the maximum distance I ever plan to shoot.

LC
Old 07-21-2022, 08:58 AM

Fixed blade out of a properly tuned bow is the way to go. A skill that many archers are missing is the ability to wrench on their bow.

Mechanical on bears, would be the only scenario I would consider.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
Fixed blade out of a properly tuned bow is the way to go. A skill that many archers are missing is the ability to wrench on their bow.

Mechanical on bears, would be the only scenario I would consider.

A big amen to everything he said. I mean if you use a 2 blade Cutthroat heavy head and arrow on a cape buffalo, why not stick with what kills that?

Keep it simple, 3 blade VPA, Montec, 2 blade Cutthroat, Alien anything, etc etc. Also Hypodermic 2.3" for bears. Nasty.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:50 AM

Fixed blades all the way. I always give them a sharpen aswell.
You are taking more of a risk using mechanicals, they get hung up easier and have failures much more easily.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:05 PM
Banned

There is no trauma like with a bullet when shooting arrows, the only thing contributing to the kill is what the blade slices. The bigger the blade the more cutting area. Go with mechanical. I shot mechanicals for years, (can't hold bow now bad shoulder) and never had one blade failure so take the "fail to open" excuse with a grain of salt. Mechanicals do need high kenetic energy so if you can't handle a higher poundage bow stay with the fixed.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:55 PM

Well I hunt with a crossbow, and I use the Excalibur 'Boltcutter' fixed 3-blade, 150gr.

My bolts launch at 330fps.

I center-punched a bull moose, Sept 18 at ~30 yards,. My bolt hit right between the ribs, entrance and exit, so it zipped right through that bull moose.

There wasn't a drop of blood, including on the moose. Right from impact point to where the moose went down (about 50 yards??), not a speck!

The broadhead cut a very neat TINY!! triangular shaped entry/exit holes.

I won't switch from this broadhead.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-04-2023, 06:14 AM

Running Kudu contour plus fixed blade. I dont foresee changing my setup. They fly great and I have had great results.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:46 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
There is no trauma like with a bullet when shooting arrows, the only thing contributing to the kill is what the blade slices. The bigger the blade the more cutting area. Go with mechanical.
I run with an Excalibur Matrix 380 with over-powered limbs.
It shoots 405 grain arrows at almost 380 fps.
Heavy spined custom Zombie Slayers.
I have always used 125 grain Spitfire Mechanicals for their huge cutting area, and the fact they are pinpoint accurate to my field points.
Did try a few fixed blades, but at that speed they tend to "steer" the arrow (planing issues).

As for trauma, it all depends where you hit them.
Here is an example from this past season that well indicates that:

The devastation was incredible.
Passed through that shoulder, through both lungs and exited out the opposite shoulder.
At 50 yards.
Impressive power, but basically ruined both shoulders in the process...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 01-04-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Well I hunt with a crossbow, and I use the Excalibur 'Boltcutter' fixed 3-blade, 150gr.

My bolts launch at 330fps.

I center-punched a bull moose, Sept 18 at ~30 yards,. My bolt hit right between the ribs, entrance and exit, so it zipped right through that bull moose.

There wasn't a drop of blood, including on the moose. Right from impact point to where the moose went down (about 50 yards??), not a speck!

The broadhead cut a very neat TINY!! triangular shaped entry/exit holes.

I won't switch from this broadhead.
I killed a Bull Elk with the same broadhead.It was a frontal shot,went in the opening between the sternum and the throat.It was dead within 3 seconds and 30 yards. I watched Elk 101 on the placement,deadly for sure.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:19 AM

I’ve used mechanicals for years. I shot a ram with one. He did not like it at all.
One thing not mentioned above is for me the safety factor of not having razor sharp blades exposed while in hunt mode. I’ve seen strings cut and injuries from fixed blades. But never mechanicals. My .02 worth.