Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2022, 09:16 PM
Banned

Kassian gonzo
Old 07-07-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Kassian gonzo
The Edmonton Oilers traded forward Zack Kassian, the No. 29 pick, a 2024 third-round draft pick and a 2025 second-round draft pick to the Arizona Coyotes during the 2022 NHL Draft on Thursday. The Oilers received the No. 32 pick in return. Arizona drafted Maveric Lamoureux at No. 29, while Edmonton selected Reid Schaefer at No. 32.

Kassian, 31, signed a four-year, $12.8 million contract extension with the Oilers on Jan. 29, 2020. He has two years remaining on his contract.

Kassian recorded six goals and 13 assists in 58 games played for the Oilers in 2021-22. In seven seasons spent with the Oilers, Kassian posted 55 goals and 80 assists in 412 games played.

The Oilers (49-27-6) finished second in the Pacific Division. Edmonton lost in the Western Conference Final to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Colorado Avalanche.

https://theathletic.com/news/oilers-...DEWPqjn/?amp=1
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-07-2022, 09:33 PM

Great pick. Didnt think he'd be there at 29 let alone 32.

Liked Kassian a lot but cap space is important in this new NHL.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:07 AM

I like this deal a lot.

There was virtually no difference between the 29th and 32th pick options.

So really they got rid of Kassian for a 3rd in 2024 and a 2nd in 2025; I thought it was going to take more than that to move 3.25 for the next 2 years.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:10 AM

The Oilers did a great job here! They robbed Arizona blind.

Getting rid of that contract for basically a couple of picks down the road is a coup!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 07-08-2022, 09:21 AM

I like Smith a lot, a warrior. But do we owe him a year on LITR? Could he not just retire? Just asking if its a contract thing.

Bye bye Pool Party, you had 2 chances to figure out how to use that body size and stay a top 6 player. If you think your a top 6, go find a team that will play you there. Not my problem if you don't like where Woodie placed you.

Kane would be a great get for the next couple seasons but a star goalie is much more important Imo.

Liked Kassien a lot, still do, but he made a difference when he played like he used to. Too many injuries and you could tell he didn't want to play that way anymore. Good luck in Arizona, probably the worst team to be traded too right now.

Be interesting to see what Free agency brings as far as Hollands next moves.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I like Smith a lot, a warrior. But do we owe him a year on LITR? Could he not just retire? Just asking if its a contract thing.
Would you just walk away from $2.5M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Kane would be a great get for the next couple seasons but a star goalie is much more important Imo.
Are their any "star" goalies left? Husso signed in Detroit, MAF signed in Minnesota, Vanecek went to New Jersey, Mrazek went to Chicago, Georgiec went to Colorado.....think about all that's left is Campbell and Kuemper. Gonna overpay for Campbell as he's one of the few left?
Old 07-08-2022, 09:49 AM

Heh…. I’m thinkin our problem is smaller than your problem

They’re tryin to overpay Gudreau and Chucky… and neither wanna sign.

I’m bettin ones gone to free agency for certain.

Man…. If we could sign Giroux…
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-08-2022, 11:11 AM

Duncan Keith retires:

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-d...sons-1.1823024

I believe this puts money back on the Blackhawks too! Really funny turn of events; Chicago was freeing up space and gets a $5M hit:

Duncan Keith retirement cap recapture penalty for #Blackhawks, per @CapFriendly:

2022-23: $5,538,462
2023-24: $1,938,456

Is that really how this works???
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

But to remember instead
All our happy years."

Old 07-08-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone052 View Post
Duncan Keith retires:

I believe this puts money back on the Blackhawks too! Really funny turn of events; Chicago was freeing up space and gets a $5M hit:

Duncan Keith retirement cap recapture penalty for #Blackhawks, per @CapFriendly:

Class act all the way and happy he decided to finish his career with the Oilers.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone052 View Post
Duncan Keith retires:

I am really not sure how this is going to play out. A while back I read the Oilers would actually get a cap credit, as his hit is 5.5 but is actual Salary is 1.5, so they would get something like an extra 3 million in space if he retired, moving the Oilers cap the is year to 85 mil(not sure exact numbers. and then next year Oiler would get like a 1 mil penalty.

Daley came out and said that wasn't how it was going to work and the Oilers would not get a credit if he retired. ( I can't find the stories now) but I was like apparently Holland is super smart if that was how it worked...

When Luongo retired on his front loaded contract both teams were penalized, so who the heck knows.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:01 PM

Sounds like Chicago gets the entire cap hit this year, and a smaller hit next year. The Oilers have no more hit, so frees up 5.4mil + Kas.

Holland has some money to spend, Hopefully he doesn't miss out on UFA's waiting for a Kane decision with San Jose. I suspect most of it is going to be a goalie, but who knows, Goaltending does not seem to be a priority for Holland.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
Sounds like Chicago gets the entire cap hit this year, and a smaller hit next year. The Oilers have no more hit, so frees up 5.4mil + Kas.

Holland has some money to spend, Hopefully he doesn't miss out on UFA's waiting for a Kane decision with San Jose. I suspect most of it is going to be a goalie, but who knows, Goaltending does not seem to be a priority for Holland.
Chicago on full out rebuild anyways (why else would they trade Debrincat?). Cap hit shouldn't affect them much
Old 07-08-2022, 02:07 PM

Just to clarify, it looks like the Oilers shed salary, free up cap space, and Chicago adds salary and loses cap space. This is an excerpt from the TSN link I shared earlier:

"With Keith retiring, the Oilers will free up $5.54 million in cap space, adding to the $3.5 million in space cleared Thursday by trading to the Arizona Coyotes. With goaltender ($2.2 million AAV) and ($4.12 million AAV) potentially spending the season on long-term injured reserve, Edmonton could have as much as $22 million to work with this summer.

Keith's retirement will, however, result in a cap recapture penalty for the Blackhawks of $5.54 million next season and $1.94 million in 2023-24, per CapFriendly."

Henry David Thoreau

But to remember instead
All our happy years."

Old 07-08-2022, 04:14 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Class act all the way and happy he decided to finish his career with the Oilers.
Agree.

Keith’s list of NHL accolades is extensive. He won three Stanley Cups with the Chicago Blackhawks during the 2010s, a Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP in 2015, and two Norris Trophies as the NHL’s best defenceman in 2010 and 2014.
Keith also sported the maple leaf on a number of occasions, winning Olympic gold at both the Vancouver 2010 and Sochi 2014 Games with Team Canada.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-11-2022, 01:35 PM

"Former NHL official Tim Peel tweeted that he is hearing the Oilers offered Kane a four-year deal in the mid $4 million range per season. That’s not anywhere close to what Kane is looking for."

I think he's going to get closer to $7M to $8M per season.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:21 PM

As good as Kane was this past year, I agree with Hollands offer, especially the term.

Maybe Kane has turned over a new leaf, but that is alot to risk on lets say 7 million for 5 years. I believe if he screws up again he will be untradeable with that kind of contact.

Also with the quality of UFA's on the market and a few teams have fire sales, I think there might be better options. What is really encouraging is Holland has that type of cap space to offer another player. Dylan Strome, Nick Paul, Andrew, Copp, Rickard Rakell, Ondrej Palat could all be possibilities.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
"Former NHL official Tim Peel tweeted that he is hearing the Oilers offered Kane a four-year deal in the mid $4 million range per season. That’s not anywhere close to what Kane is looking for."

I think he's going to get closer to $7M to $8M per season.
You are missing the WHOLE story !! The length of the contract and $$$ vary so much He can a contract for 7-8 million for ONE season. Not multiple. 630CHED Reid Wilkins explained it perfectly. You'll have to look it up. Kane will be guaranteed that amount for 3 seasons. The other ones have ZERO longevity. He will have 13.5 million in his pocket for 3 years, Not having to worry about moving around.
Anyways, Holland did a good job Let the chips fall on Wednesday
Old 07-11-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
You are missing the WHOLE story !!
Not sure how that's a storey..... Pretty much every above average player in the league is in that exact situation. I also think you're crazy if you think Kane's max dollar offer is going to be $16M. Everybody talks about max dollar too, I know I'd rather make $14M in two years than $16M in four....
Old 07-12-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
As good as Kane was this past year, I agree with Hollands offer, especially the term.

Maybe Kane has turned over a new leaf, but that is alot to risk on lets say 7 million for 5 years. I believe if he screws up again he will be untradeable with that kind of contact.

Also with the quality of UFA's on the market and a few teams have fire sales, I think there might be better options. What is really encouraging is Holland has that type of cap space to offer another player. Dylan Strome, Nick Paul, Andrew, Copp, Rickard Rakell, Ondrej Palat could all be possibilities.
Kane isn’t the fastest or strongest skater out there either. His one skating gaffe cost them a big goal. Unreal shot though. I agree as well.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

Discretion was the better part of valour for sure. Too many things to go wrong with Kane. He was pure fire. Full stop. He was also playing with the best player in the world at the very top of his game. Unsustainable.

Kane may very well be the best fit in the NHL, but the risk is too damn big to go long and expensive.

Live to fight another day.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:00 PM

This article raises some interesting connections from McDavids Erie Otter days
https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-...-with-mcdavid/
Old 07-12-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Discretion was the better part of valour for sure. Too many things to go wrong with Kane. He was pure fire. Full stop. He was also playing with the best player in the world at the very top of his game. Unsustainable.

Kane may very well be the best fit in the NHL, but the risk is too damn big to go long and expensive.

Live to fight another day.
I might be ok with short and expensive. Can't give him dollars AND term. One or the other. Go short, keep him focused. But he's looking for that home run, not that I blame him.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:29 PM

If Holland is astute enough to grab Marchment, improve the goaltending with hopefully Samsonov, and grab 1-2 experienced, physical Dmen I'll give him kudos. Right now I'm just disappointed he couldn't get Kulak signed under the wire.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
If Holland is astute enough to grab Marchment, improve the goaltending with hopefully Samsonov, and grab 1-2 experienced, physical Dmen I'll give him kudos. Right now I'm just disappointed he couldn't get Kulak signed under the wire.
I’m curious to see how it plays out with the free agents around the league who are waiting til the last minute or testing waters before resigning with their current team. I’m no cap geek expert or anything but I keep reading most contenders are up right to the cap with not a lot of money to throw around so this free agency might be very beneficial to some teams. Holland has blown my mind with some very shrewd moves especially last year so will be fun to watch him work tomorrow
Old 07-13-2022, 12:09 AM

Kane baby. 4 X $5.125 million.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2022, 12:27 AM

Me likey.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2022, 12:32 AM

Great news and the contract suits the Oil and should keep him in line....Be a good boy Evander!
Old 07-13-2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Great news and the contract suits the Oil and should keep him in line....Be a good boy Evander!
And if he wins his case against San Jose for the extra 1.88 million what happens then? This league is a joke at at times.
Great to have him back if it ends up not being voided
Old 07-13-2022, 01:11 AM

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.