Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2023, 03:21 PM

Default Cold Lake Trails

Hi All,

I am coming up to Cold Lake in a couple weeks for my kids hockey tournament and other than a little bit of summer fishing on the lake, I am not very familiar with the area.

I am a runner and try to fit in my longer training runs on the weekends and am looking for some relatively safe trails to run in the Cold Lake area. I will be travelling there with a group and won't have a vehicle, so will be starting from town. I'm not keen on running on pavement, prefer single track trails.

Looking for about 15-18km trail. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I've checked out Alltrails and Trailforks with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 02-06-2023, 03:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The provincial park has a network of groomed trails.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-06-2023, 10:00 PM

Assuming you will be leaving from the energy centre i would head south to the Cold Lake bike park trails. They groom them and its likely not 15km, but lots of ups and downs plus you can make multiple laps. It’s also very close to the energy centre and you can follow the walking trail along the main road to get there.

The best spot would be the provincial park, but that’s a long trek from the energy centre (7km one way).
Old 02-08-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks.snow View Post
Assuming you will be leaving from the energy centre i would head south to the Cold Lake bike park trails. They groom them and its likely not 15km, but lots of ups and downs plus you can make multiple laps. It’s also very close to the energy centre and you can follow the walking trail along the main road to get there.

The best spot would be the provincial park, but that’s a long trek from the energy centre (7km one way).
Thanks for getting back to me. I would love to run the trails at the provincial park, but I think the bike trails might be my better option due to proximity. I'm staying south of the Energy center so I'll be leaving from somewhere around the Walmart (not exactly sure where though). Like you said, I can do multiple loops if the distance isn't there.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:47 AM

If you need to kill more time have a run to the cold lake museum . I believe its just east of Canadian Tire . Its hit and miss but they sometimes have the cold lake record 52 lb lake trout on display .
Old 02-08-2023, 10:18 AM

Hi JR,

I think I'll do that!! Thanks for the suggestion

Chris
Old 02-08-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me. I would love to run the trails at the provincial park, but I think the bike trails might be my better option due to proximity. I'm staying south of the Energy center so I'll be leaving from somewhere around the Walmart (not exactly sure where though). Like you said, I can do multiple loops if the distance isn't there.

I appreciate the feedback.
Not sure what the rules are like up there, but if the trails are groomed, I wouldn't be running/walking on them, you'll be ****ing of alot of people that are putting in work to groom the trails. Not sure who takes care of them up there, but it's worth looking into.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Not sure what the rules are like up there, but if the trails are groomed, I wouldn't be running/walking on them, you'll be ****ing of alot of people that are putting in work to groom the trails. Not sure who takes care of them up there, but it's worth looking into.

Wide enough to accommodate x country skiing and walk, run etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2023, 07:17 PM

The only trail that will be groomed will be the Millenium trail which is basically a big sidewalk that goes all the way through town from one end to the other and beyond. There is the bike trail as mentioned located at the museum, but will not be groomed. Will have snow and ice on trail. Also If you wanted to be closer to the energy centre, don't stay near walmart. It's a bit of a distance away. That is the **** part of town anyways. There are a bunch of hotels/motels closer to the energy centre, which is in the north.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
That's a good point, any time I do come across a groomed trail, I try to find an alternate route. When using any trails, I am sure respect other groups using the trails (hikers, skiers, bikers, etc.) and those who maintain the trails.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-09-2023, 09:14 AM

https://sites.ualberta.ca/~dwiens/Tr...ake%20info.pdf

This might help you out, some groomed trails locally in and around cold lake for both x country skiing, hiking, running etc.

unnamed.jpg

When heading out ice fishing see many people jogging through the provincial park.

Enjoy your stay!

Old 02-09-2023, 09:35 AM

Thats a nice photo 58thecat. What that park needs to make is a small boat launch in long bay for all the small roof top boats only, so they can paddle in a non windy area . I think that would just open a new group of people wanting to go to cold lake for the summer .
Old 02-10-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Thats a nice photo 58thecat. What that park needs to make is a small boat launch in long bay for all the small roof top boats only, so they can paddle in a non windy area . I think that would just open a new group of people wanting to go to cold lake for the summer .
That would be nice, on the baywood road there is a spot that people have been using but the only thing is that long bay come mid June gets really gross with algae and being so shallow really stinks bad.
This of course is very dependent on water depth but man some years are just brutal.