Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-07-2022, 04:48 PM

Default Switching Bow Brands

Back in 2015 I purchased a Hoyt Nitrum 34 - sold it two years ago and went to a Hoyt HPX recurve. Considering another compound and am totally flustered with all present bows on the market.

Have any Hoyt fans switched to another brand? Did you get more than you expected or did you go back to Hoyt?

Being retired I contemplating a bow under $1000.00 and due to an injury a 40-50# bow. So the mid to high enders are out.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:02 PM

Honestly, for the money I'd look for a good used Hoyt. That's just me. You can get great value on the second hand market. I've been shooting Hoyts for 20 years or so, the last one I bought new 10 years ago (CRX32) and I haven't seen a reason to change yet. It is still plenty fast, very quiet, and shoots so good. And the balance and way it feels in my hand is perfect. I did have the limbs changed out 2 years ago to 60s from 70s, as my arthritis was not liking the draw weight. I expect it will be the last bow I buy.

You can get a premium Hoyt (used, 3-5 years old) in your budget. They last a long long time. New limbs to suit your parameters aren't that expensive ($400 installed for mine). That's how I would approach it (newer bow, in your drawlength, and then order new low poundage limbs from Hoyt).

But I'm a real fanboy, admittedly. There are other bows out there that are excellent as well. But still, used market. Guys who bought top end bows tend to look after them. And a lot of those guys are getting a newer bow every year or two. So, watch the buy and sell. Especially after hunting season, or early spring, when the new bows come on the market. Then, last year's premium bows show up at a good price. That's how I got both my VTecs (2010?) For less then the cost of one new one. One for hunting, and one bright blue electric one for target shooting. Great bows. I also got 75% of my money back when I sold them a few years later to get my (new) CRX32. I love that bow.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search. I'm sure you will get lots of good advice here.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-07-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:54 PM

I only shot Hoyt Carbon's until I bought my last bow, a Bowtech Revolt. I had a hard time justifying a $2000+ price tag for a bew Carbon Hoyt.

I have had the Bowtech for about 2 yrs now. Really nice bow the only think that I don't like is that the aluminum riser is noticeably colder then carbon's and its a little heavier. I may put some tennis racket wrap around the riser to build it up a little and take some of the cold away.

The Comfort setting my Revolt is awesome. Pulling 64pds so easy. Very nice draw cycle on it.

I wouldn't rule out me buying another Hoyt down the road but I would consider another Bowtech or Matthews also. Not brand loyal anymore.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I may put some tennis racket wrap around the riser to build it up a little and take some of the cold away.
Have a look at Lizard Skin. The hockey stuff is 0.5 mm thick and the baseball bat stuff comes in 0.5, 0.8 and 1.1mm thick.

I have the 0.5mm hockey on one bow and 0.5mm baseball bat on the other. It was a game changer for me
Old 10-07-2022, 09:16 PM

After reading what you're looking for, I would really try out the Bowtech Solution SS. The SS means super smooth. With your shoulder injury, this might be ideal for you. It also comes in a 50 pound peak weight so you could lower it down to 40 if needed.

I have been shooting bowtech since 2018 and am more than impressed.

The Solution SS has their Deadlock cam system that makes tuning for broadheads a dream.

Like any bow, you should shoot as many as possible to see what feels the best for you.

With that said, I think you will really like the Solution SS
Old 10-08-2022, 06:43 AM

2014 shot a Prime Alloy
2015-2017 shot Bowtech Experience.

Injured shoulder .. been rifle hunting only since. Now im finally healed 110% stronger than ever

Just saw Lawrence just bought a new PSE Evo XF30 with EC cam... 70lbs with 90% let off.. very easy pull and hold all day. Quick little bow
Old 11-18-2022, 05:24 PM

I'm really liking the PSE stuff. I'm currently shooting the Levitate but have the Omen, XF 30 and a Brute NXT 55# in stock still... they all feel like home for me. The Brute is the most shocking, honestly. The Drive NXT was also a great bow. I've got the new Elite Omnia coming in and I'm pretty excited to see what it's all about - after shooting the widely adjustable options like the Ember and Basin, I have high hopes for it.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:59 PM

Default Bowtech Solution SS

I have bad shoulders as well and switched to the Bowtech Solution SS 2 years ago. I shot just about every bow on the market before making the decision. Super smooth draw cycle and very easy to get dialed in. I was able to get the 70 pound one and have it shooting at 62 pounds even with the shoulder issues. You do sacrifice a bit of speed with it being designed for its smoothness but it honestly is minimal. Can't recommend it enough. Absolutely love it.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:05 AM

I made the switch from PSE over to Prime.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:09 PM

I have a right hand prime black 3 in excellent condition with 60# draw. A very smooth drawing bow. Would love to keep it but my doctor and my shoulder say I have to sell if you’re interested. All accessories included.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:03 AM

Still shooting my old 2006 Matthews Z7. She’s tuned an shoots well.. a new VXR does sound mighty tempting though🤔
Old 11-22-2022, 05:28 PM

Go to a good shop with lanes and try out all the bows in your price range. When I worked at an archery shop I would do this with anyone on the fence about brands, never had anyone come back complaining about the wrong bow.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:31 AM

Give some thought to supporting Canadian and check out APA bows. Thoughtfully designed with many built in user friendly features
Old 01-27-2023, 09:27 AM

I have lost my faith in Mathews bows over the past few years and was about to pull the trigger on a Hoyt not to long about, but ended up loving the Prime bows. Just felt more natural.

At one time I remeber hearing Prime before they made their own brand actually manufacturered the Hoyt and Mathews bows. Weather that was true or not, idn. Food for thought.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:54 PM

Default Bows

I shot Hoyt and Mathews for a few decades. Went to a Prime Rival in 2016 and still shoot it (65# and 29-14" draw). Even bought another used one as a spare a few years ago. The Rival is a 35" axle to axle bow with 6.5" brace height...it has shot very well under mountain hunting conditions for me, and I do not use a stabilizer. Better than my last Hoyt, a 2011 Carbon Element and last Mathews, a 2013 short 30" Solo Cam...forget the model.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-90scout View Post
Back in 2015 I purchased a Hoyt Nitrum 34 - sold it two years ago and went to a Hoyt HPX recurve. Considering another compound and am totally flustered with all present bows on the market.

Have any Hoyt fans switched to another brand? Did you get more than you expected or did you go back to Hoyt?

Being retired I contemplating a bow under $1000.00 and due to an injury a 40-50# bow. So the mid to high enders are out.
If you are close to Edmonton or Calgary, head to Jimbows and shoot as many bows as you can. If you are coming off the Z5 cam, then you are going to be fairly picky on the draw cycle. Z5 was probably the best cam ever release until PSE came out with the Evolve cam.

Enjoy the process and have fun testing every bow you can get your hands on.