Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2022, 07:04 PM

Default Gun Bans got me thinking?

So all this gun ban tom foolery got me thinking. If they are going to take our legally and lawfully purchased property are they going to compensate us fully for doing so?

Its not just my guns they will have to purchase but I want to be paid for my scopes, rings, slings, bipods, shooting sticks, range finders, bino's ect and et al.

I also want to be paid for my gun powder, reloading dies, powder dispensers, gun safes, weigh scales, bullets, and primers.

I likely have 10's of thousands of dollars invested in this hobby. If your going to take it away then you dam well be prepared to pony up the cash.

I wonder if the Canadian people are ready to compensate firearms owners to the toon of $30,000 each. Perhaps we should also be compensated for our lost time and the trauma it will cause to have our passions stripped from us? Whats that worth?

Anyway just some thoughts.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:42 PM

Ask a Dutch farmer.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:46 PM

Except them to flip you a toonie after you comply and say thank you

That is only if you are a good boy
Old 12-01-2022, 07:56 PM

Default Put the brakes on

hey I am in no way saying its right or that I support whats happening. I am just trying to point out that there is alot more ice berg under the water so to speak.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:59 PM

Compensation? Didn’t they say we would own nothing and be happy?
Old 12-01-2022, 08:05 PM

I think that we all realize that there will not be fair compensation for the firearms, let alone anything else. The biggest obstacle, will be lack of compliance. With so many of the effected firearms not being registered, they don't know who has what. New Zealand had a very low rate of compliance, 30% or so, and I don't see ours being any higher. And with provinces already standing up against the liberals, it will only be harder for the liberals to try and confiscate firearms. What we really need, is other provinces to join, and then it will get really tough for the liberals.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
hey I am in no way saying its right or that I support whats happening. I am just trying to point out that there is alot more ice berg under the water so to speak.
I get it but remember they know the public will not support buying your accessories and it will be your problem because they are still legal
Old 12-01-2022, 08:16 PM

I'm not willing to sell them my property regardless of what they offer, whether it is fair or even generous. Not for sale. Tens of thousands doesn't even begin to cover it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-01-2022, 08:16 PM

There will be no compensation.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:21 PM

They aren’t paying for anything, from what I’ve seen because it was brought in as an amendment there can’t be any financial implications thus no compensation.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muley300 View Post
They aren’t paying for anything, from what I’ve seen because it was brought in as an amendment there can’t be any financial implications thus no compensation.
And of course that is a charter violation, so it will be challenged.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
There will be no compensation.
This ^^^ ........ there will be no compensation............

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
This ^^^ ........ there will be no compensation............
And that will guarantee that people don't comply. New Zealand paid compensation, and only had a compliance rate of 30%.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:29 PM

NZ *claims* 30% compliance based on their estimates of what citizens had.

That is like Mendocino claiming there are only 80,000 ARs and variants, or 20,000 Ruger Mini 14s, or 50,000 SKS rifles in Canada. Then when a few get turned in, it looks like a successful ban because they had 30% compliance, when in reality it was probably less then 10%.

And I anticipate compliance in Canada won't top 10%. Which is too much compliance by far.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-01-2022, 11:14 PM

If the government learned anything from the pandemic it is that everybody will talk tough but a lot of people will just comply.
They don’t have to take our guns or buy our guns. I don’t think they even want to. But as soon as there is any kind of incident at all, A fire, a break and enter, a check stop with rifles behind the seat. The news will report prohibited weapons found at the scene. Just like when the news says it’s a high-powered rifle or a sniper rifle, what does that even mean? Or we can just hide them in our gun safes and never take them out. Really sneaky there. Legal gun owners are in a catch 22 position. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. The way our political system is set up, no politician would want to go against Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.
The funny thing is I don’t think anyone believes that they are a safety issue. It just looks like they’re getting tough on guns. It’s an easy move to make and the liberals can stand tall and thump their chests. Their voters are unwittingly being duped.
These silly laws need to be reversed when the grownups get control of the situation. My fingers are crossed.

Last edited by heretohunt; 12-01-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:07 AM

Let's hope the provincial gov't will challenge this gun grab and tie it up in the courts for years.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
If the government learned anything from the pandemic it is that everybody will talk tough but a lot of people will just comply.
They don’t have to take our guns or buy our guns. I don’t think they even want to. But as soon as there is any kind of incident at all, A fire, a break and enter, a check stop with rifles behind the seat. The news will report prohibited weapons found at the scene. Just like when the news says it’s a high-powered rifle or a sniper rifle, what does that even mean? Or we can just hide them in our gun safes and never take them out. Really sneaky there. Legal gun owners are in a catch 22 position. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. The way our political system is set up, no politician would want to go against Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.
The funny thing is I don’t think anyone believes that they are a safety issue. It just looks like they’re getting tough on guns. It’s an easy move to make and the liberals can stand tall and thump their chests. Their voters are unwittingly being duped.
These silly laws need to be reversed when the grownups get control of the situation. My fingers are crossed.
I see most people not complying, and hoping that a new government will repeal this nonsense.

Quote:
NZ *claims* 30% compliance based on their estimates of what citizens had.

That is like Mendocino claiming there are only 80,000 ARs and variants, or 20,000 Ruger Mini 14s, or 50,000 SKS rifles in Canada. Then when a few get turned in, it looks like a successful ban because they had 30% compliance, when in reality it was probably less then 10%.

And I anticipate compliance in Canada won't top 10%. Which is too much compliance by far.
Even at 30%, the -program would be a failure. So it will turn the people who opposed the bans, against the government, and show others how idiotic the plan was in the first place. The plan failing , will likely just cost them more more votes.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:56 AM

The 25 round 10/22 mags are already prohibited devices, and no one turned those in.
Why would anyone turn in their now prohibited guns?
In for a penny, in for a pound.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
So all this gun ban tom foolery got me thinking. If they are going to take our legally and lawfully purchased property are they going to compensate us fully for doing so?

Its not just my guns they will have to purchase but I want to be paid for my scopes, rings, slings, bipods, shooting sticks, range finders, bino's ect and et al.

I also want to be paid for my gun powder, reloading dies, powder dispensers, gun safes, weigh scales, bullets, and primers.

I likely have 10's of thousands of dollars invested in this hobby. If your going to take it away then you dam well be prepared to pony up the cash.

I wonder if the Canadian people are ready to compensate firearms owners to the toon of $30,000 each. Perhaps we should also be compensated for our lost time and the trauma it will cause to have our passions stripped from us? Whats that worth?

Anyway just some thoughts.
It is not just firearms they take away. The Liberals and NDP have no trouble freezing Bank Accounts and crushing donations to organizations that oppose them. Hunting and fishing is not a hobby for me it is a way of life. Trudeau is going to try to finish what Allan Rock started. This is part of the WEF reset.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:03 AM

Do not Comply, plain and simple
Old 12-02-2022, 08:01 AM

Non compliance is OK until you go hunting with your banned gun. If you get checked out by the authorities and they find that prohibited rifle, they'll seize it and charge you for the crime. I mean just keeping them in your safe until they crash your door down with a warrant isn't much fun. So how will you employ your tools if you can't take them out of the house without worry of becoming a criminal.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Non compliance is OK until you go hunting with your banned gun. If you get checked out by the authorities and they find that prohibited rifle, they'll seize it and charge you for the crime. I mean just keeping them in your safe until they crash your door down with a warrant isn't much fun. So how will you employ your tools if you can't take them out of the house without worry of becoming a criminal.
I don’t know about you but I don’t cross paths with RCMP or F&W too often out hunting. F&W likely won’t be checking make and model either. They will likely just make sure your firearm is not loaded in a vehicle and your firearm complies with the hunting regs

RCMP might be more in-depth but I think I have had the check my firearm once because I got pulled over speeding. Odds are they won’t remember what is on the stupid list and won’t get attention unless it’s obvious and was likely on the restricted listed

Then add in the province refusing to contribute resources to support this ban.

Odds are unless you are being unsafe, committing a crime well in possession of your firearm or a public complaint has been made against you the likelihood of having an issue is extremely low

Your choice on what risks you are willing to take though
Old 12-02-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
So you can hand in your firearm, and receive no compensation, or keep it, hoping that the legislation gets overturned. One is a total loss, one has a chance of no loss.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
RCMP might be more in-depth...
The average rcmp officer doesn't know the difference between a 10/22 and a ruger #1....i know a few of them...the lack of training they receive on the topic is dumbfounding given they are tasked with enforcing the laws.

The only firearms on this list that are being confiscated are the ones people are stupid enough to turn in.

0% compliance sounds like a nice round number...doesn't get any rounder. ZERO.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
The average rcmp officer doesn't know the difference between a 10/22 and a ruger #1....i know a few of them...the lack of training they receive on the topic is dumbfounding given they are tasked with enforcing the laws.

The only firearms on this list that are being confiscated are the ones people are stupid enough to turn in.

0% compliance sounds like a nice round number...doesn't get any rounder. ZERO.
Key word is “might”

Truth is the ones I know that are smart enough to identify firearms are the ones who would not want to support the ban. There will always be those that may not know their firearms but can use google though

Really though if you don’t draw attention to yourself odds are you won’t have an issue is what I was getting at
Old 12-02-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Really though if you don’t draw attention to yourself odds are you won’t have an issue
Absolutely. Behave yourself, as nearly ALL legal gun owners do. Those who don't are asking for trouble. Follow the laws we've become accustomed to, and practically all leos will leave you and your guns alone.

Turning in your guns just shows the antis they can have their way. Don't do it.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:29 AM

If they’re going to get serious and actually buy the guns back They’re going to have to offer real money. Otherwise it would be far more profitable to sell them to someone else. I don’t have any guns on the list but would be very willing to buy some.
I suspect if people are forced to give up their guns they will give them up to the highest bidder. Whoever that may be.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So you can hand in your firearm, and receive no compensation, or keep it, hoping that the legislation gets overturned. One is a total loss, one has a chance of no loss.
I won't be turning in any guns that I have. The authorities will have to bash my door down and take them. Then I'll fight it in court as well. In the mean time I'll use them according to today's laws and keep it safe.

0 percent compliance. I like it.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:14 PM

You give almost all cops more credit then they deserve.
I have seen firearms left at gun clubs by rcmp, forget how to load a 12 gauge 870. Even seen a cop not know how to clear a jam and try to reholster and leave the range.
Stopped by a rcmp didn't know how to open a Lee Enfield rifle as the saftey was on.
To them everything black is bad. Scary and were all the bad guys.
Don't trust them, don't tell them you own guns, don't answer the door for them if you own guns. Ever.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
You give almost all cops more credit then they deserve.
I have seen firearms left at gun clubs by rcmp, forget how to load a 12 gauge 870. Even seen a cop not know how to clear a jam and try to reholster and leave the range.
Stopped by a rcmp didn't know how to open a Lee Enfield rifle as the saftey was on.
To them everything black is bad. Scary and were all the bad guys.
Don't trust them, don't tell them you own guns, don't answer the door for them if you own guns. Ever.
Oh my buddies brother in law is RCMP and he is a joke and we tease him all the time. When he became RCMP we knew the standards were not that high. Dumb as a stump and physically feeble

That said I also have met others who are extremely knowledgeable and grew up around firearms. They are also hunters and outdoorsmen’s like others on this forum.

Why people can’t understand it’s just a job and the RCMP is a group of diverse people from different walks of life is beyond me. I can’t remember getting hired at a single job where everyone working there shared a brain just because they work at the same field.