Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 04:43 PM

Default Trail Camera’s

My cabin recently got robbed, and unfortunately, I have to replace my trail camera fleet. What are you boys running that’s the best bang for your buck, battery life and vid/pic quality?

I had my best luck with the Browning Dark Ops, but I would rather not spend that much. With that, I want something reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2022, 05:10 PM

I run 10 or 15 cameras all different brands mostly, three cellular they all take pictures by a three pack for 180 bucks you get batteries and cards
Old 10-02-2022, 06:04 PM

I was buying the Stealth Cam twin packs every time Canadian Tire blew them out on a flyer. Have 10 now. 3rd year running them, seem to be still taking nice pics. Not much of a menu for settings but for the price, I am not complaining. Battery life is decent with good batteries like Energizer or Duracell. Been running Walmart's brand AA over the summer and I find they don't last as long. But they are a heck of a lot cheaper to use in the off season.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:06 PM

Anyone have luck with Amazon cams?

Old 10-02-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I was buying the Stealth Cam twin packs every time Canadian Tire blew them out on a flyer. Have 10 now. 3rd year running them, seem to be still taking nice pics. Not much of a menu for settings but for the price, I am not complaining. Battery life is decent with good batteries like Energizer or Duracell. Been running Walmart's brand AA over the summer and I find they don't last as long. But they are a heck of a lot cheaper to use in the off season.
I have a drawer full of dead stealth cams. They went nuts snapping pics every min or became unreliable taking pics. I also have one the time stopped working but not an issue to me. The older ones are good and still working but the newer ones not so much. All problem cams are 2 years or less

I have picked up some Bushnell and cabelas brand cams to test out that others I know recommended
Old 10-02-2022, 08:40 PM
Gone Hunting

My first two cameras were Stealth Cams. Both were faulty right from the box.

So I bought two Browning Strike Force cameras. They have worked flawlessly for five years now.

Then two years ago I bought one U-Way camera. It works but only in single shot mode.
In multi shot mode it does strange things to the photos it takes.

U-Way says it's a card issue. I have not tested that theory.

Just minutes ago I got call number two for help with two faulty Stealth Cams.

They are a different model then mine and much newer. Less then six months old.

First call the owner, my BIL, could not get them to work at all so he called me for help.
I reset them and they started working so he put them out.

He checked them a few days ago and they had taken a ton of pictures.
He checked them again today and they had no pictures. They are doing now what they did when he first got them.

Round #2

I strongly recommend against buying Stealth Cams.

As many of you know I make game camera mounts so I talk to a lot of camera users.

What I hear is Bushnell makes a good camera, so does Wild Game Innovations, Moultrie, and Spypoint.

And of course I also recommend anything Browning makes.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-02-2022, 09:54 PM

I have 6. 3 Moultrie 3 stealth cam. All work except for 1 Moultrie where the screen died but still takes pictures. All approx 5 years old

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2022, 10:49 PM

I only run Amazon cams now. My Stealth Cams eventually quit.

The video/picture is quite good. Although if you spend 3 times as much your going to get a better image.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Tatacam for cell cam and browning or cheaper primos for me. Stealth cam and Spypoint being in the never again category
Old 10-03-2022, 08:00 AM

I bought 6 old primos cams from a guy on here. Very good deal so I was expecting them to not be that great of cams. But surprisingly I’ve used them for 5 months now and they are still working great. Clear pics and very reliable. I love them!
Old 10-03-2022, 08:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Got four stealth cams that work fine, two bushnels which one went wonky taking random pics and a uway that just quite on me.

It’s a crap shoot I guess just depends how much you want to spend etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 AM

Browning, Tactacam & Cabelas are my only ones that I bother using anymore. My Stealth Cams, Moultries and WildGame were all given away.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have a drawer full of dead stealth cams. They went nuts snapping pics every min or became unreliable taking pics. I also have one the time stopped working but not an issue to me. The older ones are good and still working but the newer ones not so much. All problem cams are 2 years or less

I have picked up some Bushnell and cabelas brand cams to test out that others I know recommended
Last winter I left them out till the batteries died. One had 10,000 plus pics, other 5000 plus. Same issue. I would have over 40 pics of the same scene in under a minute.

The ones out since may long showed hints of this but not to the massive photo dump I seen in winter. I guess its a Stealth thing. I thought it may be the cold.

But 2 cams, SD cards and batteries for just over a hundred bucks don't hurt too bad if I have to take them out. The pics are still good though so until that changes, use them till they don't I guess.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:28 PM

Default Tasco cameras

I have about 15 cams half Moultrie and half tasco. The cheaper two pack from Canadian tire I’m not sure the model of the camera but they work excellent for me so far great pics day an night! And they don’t break the bank.I run Costco double A’s and they work great also.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:41 PM

Only Amazon cams now for me except for the SPYPOINT cell cams I have - and my SPYPOINT cell-link is hooked to an Amazon cam..

I usually spend between $40-65 on Amazon cameras and I have been super impressed with the quality of photos, trigger speed and battery life.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Last winter I left them out till the batteries died. One had 10,000 plus pics, other 5000 plus. Same issue. I would have over 40 pics of the same scene in under a minute.

The ones out since may long showed hints of this but not to the massive photo dump I seen in winter. I guess its a Stealth thing. I thought it may be the cold.

But 2 cams, SD cards and batteries for just over a hundred bucks don't hurt too bad if I have to take them out. The pics are still good though so until that changes, use them till they don't I guess.
When they go on the fit of a pic every min till the batteries die it also seems to freak the deer out changing there movements for sometime. I also had two nice bucks never return after this

Cheap yes but I don’t like putting in the work scouting to have my cam burn out a spot before I hunt it. I owned a lot of stealth cams and was happy with them until the issues in the last 2 seasons

Personally I think it’s the -30s we get that the stealth cams can’t handle

Your choice to use what you please only stating issues I am experiencing
Old 10-03-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
When they go on the fit of a pic every min till the batteries die it also seems to freak the deer out changing there movements for sometime. I also had two nice bucks never return after this

Cheap yes but I don’t like putting in the work scouting to have my cam burn out a spot before I hunt it. I owned a lot of stealth cams and was happy with them until the issues in the last 2 seasons

Personally I think it’s the -30s we get that the stealth cams can’t handle

Your choice to use what you please only stating issues I am experiencing
Good info you gave and will defiantly change brands as mine start to falter.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
Only Amazon cams now for me except for the SPYPOINT cell cams I have - and my SPYPOINT cell-link is hooked to an Amazon cam..

I usually spend between $40-65 on Amazon cameras and I have been super impressed with the quality of photos, trigger speed and battery life.

Can you share which Amazon cams you’ve been happy with? And how much time in the field do they have

Old 10-03-2022, 08:10 PM

I have been using Amazon's Meidase model S2 in all seasons for a year. I have been taking stills as well as videos without any problems. I like the slightly wider lens (105°). Battery life is good.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:34 AM

I run these guys, I have two versions of it but they are basically all the same. The previous model has micro SD's and I must say those are a PITA, especially in November when your fingers are half frozen, this version has the full size SD cards, no complaints so far.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-04-2022, 11:53 AM

Default game cams

The Gun Dealer usually has some smoking deals on game cams. I see they just restocked on the Wildgame cameras on special. Good little cameras for 70.00 that includes the 8 batteries and SD card.
I have about ten of this brand with no failures.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Can you share which Amazon cams you’ve been happy with? And how much time in the field do they have

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post

The”gardepro” is just over two years old. Have it hooked to my cell-link. Great camera. Here is the Amazon screenshot and a recent sample pic (the sample pic is not full resolution as it was sent lower definition through the cell link)I change batteries twice per year. (AA lithium’s).

Sample

The “vanbar” is about 1 year old, it’s smaller than the gardpro and takes just as good of pictures and it’s usually $20 cheaper (paid $50). Good on batteries as well. Have only changed the lithium’s once.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:52 PM

My little thing, is to not spend a bunch on my cameras, i had a few grow legs, so 50 a camera, is my rule, if the camera is stolen then only 50 plus the price of the card, is gone, but i also have a few cell cameras, not 50 a camera, but i like the text of what ever the camera is seeing
Old 10-06-2022, 06:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
My little thing, is to not spend a bunch on my cameras, i had a few grow legs, so 50 a camera, is my rule, if the camera is stolen then only 50 plus the price of the card, is gone, but i also have a few cell cameras, not 50 a camera, but i like the text of what ever the camera is seeing
I like having a camera watching a camera for that reason, those amazon cameras are tempting to add To my stock.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2022, 02:13 PM

I called https://www.trailcampro.com/

They were very helpful. The Browning are top drawer but pricey. They raved about the Gradepro A3. I bout twooff Amazon.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:37 PM

I should have read this thread earlier. I have never used trail camera's and thought I would like to for next season. Canadian Tire had Stealth Cam Fusions on sale, so I purchased 2, spur of the moment. It looks like I should return them.....
Old 11-29-2022, 03:11 PM

I picked up two of the Moutlrie Delta cellular cameras when they were on sale for $80 apiece at Cabelas.

Only gripe is that the batteries (even lithium) get chewed up really fast if you configure them aggressively. One died so fast I thought it was pinched (it wasn't, whew!) Oh, and they take 12 batterie$...

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 11-29-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
The”gardepro” is just over two years old. Have it hooked to my cell-link. Great camera. Here is the Amazon screenshot and a recent sample pic (the sample pic is not full resolution as it was sent lower definition through the cell link)I change batteries twice per year. (AA lithium’s).

Sample

The “vanbar” is about 1 year old, it’s smaller than the gardpro and takes just as good of pictures and it’s usually $20 cheaper (paid $50). Good on batteries as well. Have only changed the lithium’s once.

Those cheap Amazon cams are that good eh?
Old 11-29-2022, 03:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I picked up two of the Moutlrie Delta cellular cameras when they were on sale for $80 apiece at Cabelas.

Only gripe is that the batteries (even lithium) get chewed up really fast if you configure them aggressively. One died so fast I thought it was pinched (it wasn't, whew!) Oh, and they take 12 batterie$...
Sound like a good candidate for these batteries.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313741131476...UAAOSwMXBhheoD

They plug into the auxiliary power plug on most cameras and they come with their own charger.

I have four of them. On my cameras they last about 18 months.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-29-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
I bought 6 old primos cams from a guy on here. Very good deal so I was expecting them to not be that great of cams. But surprisingly I’ve used them for 5 months now and they are still working great. Clear pics and very reliable. I love them!
Good to hear, those cams were bullet proof for me.
Truth 35's

I liked that you can actually lock them to the tree and the cover on them.