Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yup our children will need a place to work someday. It's industry like coal mines that keep our small towns alive and appealing to young families. Have at er.
I agree. It’s getting to the point that any industrial growth will be squashed by the federal government in this province. Have to find a way to to create jobs in house before this province goes tits up like the east wants.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:41 AM

So can someone point me to reclaimed coal mine that has been opened to public hunting? You know, like Wabumun or somewhere?

A bit of a facetious question, but my understanding was when the land was expropriated, it was supposed to be returned to private land after reclamation, and it hasn't that I'm aware of. In other words, it has been removed from hunting as it isn't private and it isn't public.

The other thing to be aware of. Technology for coking is changing. The Germans just ran a (successful) test for coking using hydrogen instead of coke. If the government wants to do this (and it appears they will come hell or high water), they need to really make sure they have enough money put aside for PROPER reclamation. And no, I don't trust industry to do that without serious legislation. Especially a company that is owned off shore and can pull a runner.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
So can someone point me to reclaimed coal mine that has been opened to public hunting? You know, like Wabumun or somewhere?
How about East Pit just north of Hwy 16. The west pits have been filled with water and land reclaimed not sure if returned to public or if it’s now private land as I haven’t explored the area in a number of years.

Couple of older Pits out near Cadomin as I understand were being stocked with trout also but not my neck of the woods sure someone on here would know for certain.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post

A bit of a facetious question, but my understanding was when the land was expropriated, it was supposed to be returned to private land after reclamation, and it hasn't that I'm aware of. In other words, it has been removed from hunting as it isn't private and it isn't public.

The other thing to be aware of. Technology for coking is changing. The Germans just ran a (successful) test for coking using hydrogen instead of coke. If the government wants to do this (and it appears they will come hell or high water), they need to really make sure they have enough money put aside for PROPER reclamation. And no, I don't trust industry to do that without serious legislation. Especially a company that is owned off shore and can pull a runner.
I can get behind your points on reclamation. Not just fill them with water to make a trout pond, but put the land back somewhat with some topsoil back on it to promote new growth. It would be interesting to see the financials on what degree of reclamation could be done while still providing a profitable mine.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 AM

Default clean coal

I respect fact we need to provide jobs in Alberta. However I still remember when Social Credit Govt built the Alberta Resources Railway from Hinton to GP. It was to create jobs and wealth for Alberta. I believe the Royalty was around $1.00 / ton. Grande Cache/ Smokey has been shut down many times laying workers off. No money or wealth in Coal, It is not and never well be "Clean Coal"
Old 07-08-2020, 09:42 AM

I got a great idea. How about we leave these previously protected lands alone and not try to spur on development of a volatile industry and is actively being replaced by cleaner energy sources. Do the UPC's have one forward thinking though in their collective heads?

I am not one of these extremists that wants to shut down the oil sands and eliminate fossil fuels in the next 10 years. I drive a gas car and heat my house with gas and my electricity is generated probably by coal I assume. I understand that change is gradual. Keep our existing coal mines open and phase them out as demand dries up. But opening up previously protected lands (by the last great conservative premier we had) for coal is extremely regressive even by UPC standards.

And looking at it at another angle, are we not already having issues with foreign investment funds starting to look really hard at our oil sands and not wanting to invest anymore. I know the word "social license" gets thrown around and I don't always agree with what it entails, but like it or not attracting foreign investment depends on it. And if we are going to go down the route of "screw it we don't need foreign investment" I can't think of a riskier business to be starting. My tin foil hat is on and one has to wonder if the latest push for the APP pension is so the government can funnel money to these risky ventures.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:23 PM

Most coal mines take 10 to 20 years to bring on line now do to regulation that need to be followed. Been in the planning stages does not mean they are going to mine them. By the time they get to the stage when they need the big money to go ahead market conditions may have changed (eg Red Cap, and at least 2 other mines around Hinton. As far as affecting wildlife, the only affect I see from CRC and Gregg River mine is there are too many elk, deer, sheep and bears in the area. The government needs to find a way to deal with that. As far as fishing, If the sportsman got involved in the planning stages most companies could work into there plans more lake and stream for raising and catch and release fishing which would in turn take pressure off of native creeks which would be a win for us.