Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2014, 02:08 PM

Default Landscaping - Question about Rock Gathering

I'll be starting my landscaping in my yard soon and I would like to make a border around my trees with real rocks and stones and not the concrete pavers.

Is it legal to go to crown land and collect rocks/stones? If it is legal do I need a permit like with firewood cutting? I am pretty sure that it's illegal in National and Provincial parks but I can't seem to find anything for crown land not designated as a park or reserve. There are a lot of flood-affected areas that have some rocks that would be perfect for what I am wanting to do.

Anybody have a link to legislation or acts or a permit application? I can't find anything online.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM

tried calling esrd?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM

Along most fence lines of farmers fields are piles of fieldstones that were picked from the fields when they were being broken for cultivation. I am sure there are lots of farmers that would say go take all you want for free. They vary in size from a couple to several kilos.

After typing this post I realize you are by Calgary. Not sure down there but from Red Deer north there are lots of piles to be had. If you are willing to drive for some PM me for some leads.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Along most fence lines of farmers fields are piles of fieldstones that were picked from the fields when they were being broken for cultivation. I am sure there are lots of farmers that would say go take all you want for free. They vary in size from a couple to several kilos.

After typing this post I realize you are by Calgary. Not sure down there but from Red Deer north there are lots of piles to be had. If you are willing to drive for some PM me for some leads.
That's what we did with our place. Most farmers are happy to see them gone.
I would suggest to go get them before seeding begins, makes it easier to travel across the fields if you don't have to worry about driving over crops.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM

Put it this way, the Government not only owns the rocks, gravel and sand on crown lands, they own the air pockets (pore space) between those stones.

Yes, a licence and royalty payment would be required for the removal of any mineral from crown land. Removal of rock from riparian (flood zones) is usually completely prohibited.

You will want to contact Alberta Energy for information.
http://www.energy.alberta.ca/OurBusiness/minerals.asp

As mentioned, the easiest route is to ask a farmer. Most agricultural fields have a rockpile or two. Right now is the best time to spot them.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the leads about farmers. Never thought of that. The only issue I would see is that I would imagine the rocks would mainly be rounded and smooth. I'm looking for a more chisled shale look than a rounded look (similar to the picture below), not sure if any farmers would have that but worth keeping an eye open during my travels.

WB - Thanks for the lead on the mineral license. Just to be clear I'm not looking to remove any rocks from the riparian ares near banks or creeks that would contribute to erosion. There's an area of crown land I visited where there are very flat and extensive fields that are not very elevated above the river banks. There are many rocks that were displaced by the flood water that settled in the fields.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM

Ask for forgivness not permission, I've put tons of rocks into rock gardens, picked most of them out of abandoned gravel pits and off the side of the side of lease roads. Flat rocks for paving stones are hard to come by, like finding gold when you get a dozen.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Thanks for the leads about farmers. Never thought of that. The only issue I would see is that I would imagine the rocks would mainly be rounded and smooth. I'm looking for a more chisled shale look than a rounded look (similar to the picture below), not sure if any farmers would have that but worth keeping an eye open during my travels.

WB - Thanks for the lead on the mineral license. Just to be clear I'm not looking to remove any rocks from the riparian ares near banks or creeks that would contribute to erosion. There's an area of crown land I visited where there are very flat and extensive fields that are not very elevated above the river banks. There are many rocks that were displaced by the flood water that settled in the fields.
Lots of that stuff around the Athabasca river in Mcmurray.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Default rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Ask for forgivness not permission, I've put tons of rocks into rock gardens, picked most of them out of abandoned gravel pits and off the side of the side of lease roads. Flat rocks for paving stones are hard to come by, like finding gold when you get a dozen.
x2

I've brought home some good sized nuggets from the oilfield. Biggest one to date weighs 23,000 lbs.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Sand Stone

Talk to any company excavating basements in the north end or town or Airdrie.. The answer will be fill your boots, truck ,semi , what ever. They Hate the stuff!!

B.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM

Another though is that a lot of farmers have rock piles along the fence line Just need permission and depending on what style of rock

Steve In GP

Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM

You might even get a load from the rock quarry at Nordeg.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 AM

I used to do that kind of landscaping work when I lived in Calgary. Shoot me a text and we can talk...
Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM

IMG_1449.jpg

You can build rock gardens with river rock if thats all you have
Old 02-18-2014, 02:43 PM

A little bird told me...

the developers in Auburn Bay / Mahogany have a massive pile of loam, next to a pile of screened loam, next to a pile of rocks that were separated when screening.....

Off 22x and 52nd

Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
Talk to any company excavating basements in the north end or town or Airdrie.. The answer will be fill your boots, truck ,semi , what ever. They Hate the stuff!!

B.
Yup. Any dig from stony/symon valley and north should have sandstone. It is brittle and you should be able to split the thicker pieces.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 PM

Drive west from Sundre on the Coal camp road. Just before the old ranger station, there is a rock cut that has been blasted and has exactly what you want. People have been picking at it for years, but a phone call might not hurt.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM

If you end up having to buy the stone you're looking for, Thunderstone Quarry at Deadman's Flats is less than an hour from Calgary, and they quarry that flat stacking Rundle Rock that you see heavily used in Banff and Canmore. Thunderstonequarry.com
Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
If you end up having to buy the stone you're looking for, Thunderstone Quarry at Deadman's Flats is less than an hour from Calgary, and they quarry that flat stacking Rundle Rock that you see heavily used in Banff and Canmore. Thunderstonequarry.com
Yup, they've got the good stuff. Packed many a ton of rock that came from that quarry...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Thanks again everyone, have lots of options now!
Old 07-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Drive west from Sundre on the Coal camp road. Just before the old ranger station, there is a rock cut that has been blasted and has exactly what you want. People have been picking at it for years, but a phone call might not hurt.

Grizz
Hey Griz any idea if this area still has some of the slate describbed?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:12 PM

Error
Old 07-08-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_hunter View Post
Hey Griz any idea if this area still has some of the slate describbed?
Mostly flatish slabs of limestone, various sizes, getting picked over for the smaller stuff though. They blasted there, building the road. and that's what's left. We've hauled a few loads out of there for my wife's favorite horse's grave.

Grizz
Old 07-08-2020, 10:01 PM

Lots of large, medium, small limestone rocks along the road throughout K Country. Just don’t pick in the Provincial Park nor dig for rocks.

Be careful of parking insofar as traffic is concerned as well as falling rocks.

Limestone makes awesome landscaping rock.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-08-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Lots of large, medium, small limestone rocks along the road throughout K Country. Just don’t pick in the Provincial Park nor dig for rocks.

Be careful of parking insofar as traffic is concerned as well as falling rocks.

Limestone makes awesome landscaping rock.
Picking rocks anywhere an Kananaskis is off limits.
Sucks, but true.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."