Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 03:04 PM
Banned

After a few decades of using these, you will be able to separate the posers from the real deal fairly quickly!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
7mm, out of that list, obviously Yoder is at the top and then I would say the LG or GMG, Traeger is on the bottom of my list. I don't know anything about the Bull you mentioned.

MF- The RT 700 is $1199 US but you can still get the RT 680 as they are wanting to sell all them and replacing with the RT 700. You can get the 680 for $998. Even after converting to Cdn $ and getting it shipped here, they are just just much better quality than most brands up here. (Traeger, LG, GMG)
Im selling my 4 year old Rec Tec 680 and getting close to the price of a Traeger new. That speaks volumes on their quality and resale...

www.rectecgrills.com
Why would the RecTec grills be better than the CS model of the Louisiana grill? From what I've looked at the pellet feed system in the Louisiana grill is the best out there, as are their electronics. They also have a higher temperature span shown than RecTec, so that you can sear meat off. What am I missing, or over looking? What are the best features of the RecTec?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
FWIW the Napoleon Prestige Pro 660 has a smoke tray in it. Plus all the benefits of a gas grill over pellet.

$3050 in Lethbridge.
Seen it for cheaper in edmonton. Plus napoleon starts their big spring sales soon.. theyll typically give away hundreds of dollars of free accessories with their pro series starting in april.

Id never compare a gas bbq to a wood pellet... their both geared towards different markets.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I see that the Louisiana grill cs and lg series are pretty much the same. What is better the porcelain coated steel grill or the coated cast iron grill?
cs is the higher quality.. the lg versions are made off shore to give a bit of a better price point.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
cs is the higher quality.. the lg versions are made off shore to give a bit of a better price point.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF & JF View Post
Why would the RecTec grills be better than the CS model of the Louisiana grill? From what I've looked at the pellet feed system in the Louisiana grill is the best out there, as are their electronics. They also have a higher temperature span shown than RecTec, so that you can sear meat off. What am I missing, or over looking? What are the best features of the RecTec?
MF: The things I like on the Rec Tec are:

-Largest hopper on the market- holds 40lbs of pellets = less filling up and less running out of pellets during a cook.
-The pellet hopper is also located at the back, out of the way. The lid can be used as a warming tray too.
-The auger is located in the center, under the hopper=shorter distance to firepot, less to go wrong and less power needed to turn a loaded auger, think grain auger...
-fire pot is central = more even cooking, less hotter and cooler spots.
- 304 stainless steel throughout, built to last.
-Porcelain enameled lid
-the controller is known as one of the best in the industry, holds temps within a couple degrees of what you program it at.
-Internal light
-ceramic rod in fire pot, will last 5 times longer than most others out there.
-Esthetically pleasing, hands down the best looking grill out of the ones mentioned.
-Service, second to none.
-6 year warranty, unheard of in the industry of grills.
-quality components.
-storage shelf underneath.
-many accessory offerings (custom covers, custom thermal blankets for cold weather, cold smoker box, competition cart, folding shelf, additional internal shelves, searing kit...

I'm not saying that Louisiana doesn't have some/many of these features, I'm just pointing out what I like. I cant find a real good review of the Rec Tec VS Louisiana CS but I'm sure if you spend some time on google you will find enough info.

I do however have 2 friends that own Louisiana Grills and they have both told me that hands down my Rec Tec is a better grill, Looks and quality.
And I know several people that own Traegers and everyone of them that has seen my Rec Tec have said they don't even compare and wish they had all ordered the Rec Tec.
Take that for whats it worth.

Also, I'm not saying everything is perfect so here is my Con list...
-have to order them direct from factory in Georgia, there are no distributors. this is how they control the cost and quality (their words).
-does not have a direct flame area for searing/direct heat but I didn't buy a smoker for direct cooking (kind of the whole point of smoking-indirect cooking) When I want something seared, I use the Broil King...
In saying that, it will still get up over 500 deg and using the sear Kit grill grates, you will get your sear marks. Also cooks an incredible pizza in 8-9 mins at max temp. So maybe not a big CON... to some maybe...

This link shows a good comparison to a Traeger and at similar price points, there is no comparison...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...13CE&FORM=VIRE

Cheers,
SS
Old 03-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Banned

the only thing traegar has going for them is name brand recognition. They are garbage compared to most other brands out there when you compare options.

I dont doubt a rec tec grill isnt an awesome grill but nothing posted makes it better then louisiana grill. To sum up the post it seems you value a good looking grill... other then that the benefits of the rec tec are similar to louisiana.

Every bbq someone owns is always the best one out there...
Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM

i have a GMG and love it. Works great. Nice to check time and program from in the house in the winter. Zero complaints. Invest in the insulated blanket.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
the only thing traegar has going for them is name brand recognition. They are garbage compared to most other brands out there when you compare options.

I dont doubt a rec tec grill isnt an awesome grill but nothing posted makes it better then louisiana grill. To sum up the post it seems you value a good looking grill... other then that the benefits of the rec tec are similar to louisiana.

Every bbq someone owns is always the best one out there...

If:

-40 lbs holding capacity VS 12 lbs holding capacity
-stainless parts and materials VS steel
-Porcelain coated lid VS Powder coated
-stainless cooking grates VS Porcelain coated steel
-Wifi controlled VS Not
-Ceramic rod ignition Vs steel rod
-6 year warranty VS 3 year
Central fire pot (for even cooking) VS fire pot on the far left side (which will be much hotter on the left side Vs the right side)
-interior light VS No light

Is not enough to show you that a Rec Tec is BETTER than a LG, than I guess they are SIMILAR (your words)...

And to top off all of the above, The Rec Tec is much nicer to look at...

For most people, just the 6 year warranty would be enough to persuade people that it is BETTER, let alone everything else mentioned...

I couldn't give a Rats ***** on what you or anyone else buys, I was simply trying to educate a few on some DIFFERENCES of a Rec Tec to the other name brands mentioned as I know most people haven't seen, touched or felt a Rec Tec.

Happy Grilling,
SS
Old 03-27-2018, 02:27 PM

For the record, I own a GMG as well, it works and cooks good food but it isn't anywhere near the quality of the Rec Tec. I have spent a bit of time at BBQ competitions, reviewing many forums, talking to people that have first hand experience with pretty much every smoker out there (especially pellet grills) and it is a hands down landslide that the MAJORITY thinks the Rec Tec is a MUCH BETTER product than the others mentioned on this thread... But don't take it from people with thousands of hours experience...
Like I said, Rec Tec's downside is they don't have any distribution, other than ordering direct and that's why you don't see many people with them.

I think Ill fire up the GMG tonight and cook Italian Parmesan Chicken breasts... Waiting on my new Rec Tec to get hear...

SS
Old 03-27-2018, 09:01 PM

What model of the Rec Tec did you go with? Did you pick out one of their packages that includes pellets or accessories? All said and done what did the grill cost, and what were the shipping costs? Does it have a probe to put in the food to monitor internal temp, or a "set it and forget it" option?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Banned

you know whats funny when recommending the best option out there for someone its done without any knowledge on what someones cooking or how often.

Rec tec sounds like a great grill but its hardly a better option for everyone.

Louisiana took a friends grill in to their shop to trouble shoot an issue he had. Guess thats an added bonus for those living in or near edmonton if your buying a new grill.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF & JF View Post
What model of the Rec Tec did you go with? Did you pick out one of their packages that includes pellets or accessories? All said and done what did the grill cost, and what were the shipping costs? Does it have a probe to put in the food to monitor internal temp, or a "set it and forget it" option?
The new one I'm waiting on is the RT 700. I have had the RT 680 for around 4 years. Also, I have brought in many of the little RT 340s.Yes I ordered mine with pretty much every option you can get. I couldn't tell you exactly what the shipping is going to be for 1 grill as I just ordered 15 of them so obviously my shipping is going to be way more than for 1 unit.
Yes, the new ones have the dual meat probes as well as WIFI.

The term, Set it and forget it, is explaining a Pellet grill, you simply set your temp and walk away, VS charcoal/wood smokers where your temps are constantly changing with air vents and charcoal/wood burning hotter/cooler...

Cheers,
SS
Old 03-28-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
The new one I'm waiting on is the RT 700. I have had the RT 680 for around 4 years. Also, I have brought in many of the little RT 340s.Yes I ordered mine with pretty much every option you can get. I couldn't tell you exactly what the shipping is going to be for 1 grill as I just ordered 15 of them so obviously my shipping is going to be way more than for 1 unit.
Yes, the new ones have the dual meat probes as well as WIFI.

The term, Set it and forget it, is explaining a Pellet grill, you simply set your temp and walk away, VS charcoal/wood smokers where your temps are constantly changing with air vents and charcoal/wood burning hotter/cooler...

Cheers,
SS
I think we now see you feel rec is the best
Old 03-28-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
I have no reason to think otherwise... If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
I haven't heard anything positive about any other grill that would make me want to purchase any other Pellet grill...

But if you know something that the rest of us don't, please tell us. That was kind of the point of the thread... The good, bad and ugly of different Pellet grills...

Rather than a couple of you taking jabs at guys CONTRIBUTING to the thread, why don't you add something positive from your experiences or just not say anything at all?
Who would of thought a question about Pellet grills would turn into this???
I guess this is how most threads turn out on this site, thankfully, there are enough people that contribute enough positive material to keep us poking in once in a while...

Have a Grilling Day!!!
SS
Old 03-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
I haven't heard anything positive about any other grill that would make me want to purchase any other Pellet grill...

But if you know something that the rest of us don't, please tell us. That was kind of the point of the thread... The good, bad and ugly of different Pellet grills...

Rather than a couple of you taking jabs at guys CONTRIBUTING to the thread, why don't you add something positive from your experiences or just not say anything at all?
I guess this is how most threads turn out on this site, thankfully, there are enough people that contribute enough positive material to keep us poking in once in a while...

Have a Grilling Day!!!
SS
Man you have taken the bait. Hook line and sinker as they say. Hilarious.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Man you have taken the bait. Hook line and sinker as they say. Hilarious.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were playing a game... but if that's true, I suppose you would be correct.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Have a Grilling Day!!!
SS
I did. I said i quite like my GMG. Works good. Not to expensive. Lots of dealers. Wifi is nice. I also suggested he buy a blanket for it. I dont sell them so I did not put up multiple posts on their greatness and features.

Just curious did you put the sales moves on the OP via pm or was that going to be in an upcoming post?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I did. I said i quite like my GMG. Works good. Not to expensive. Lots of dealers. Wifi is nice. I also suggested he buy a blanket for it. I dont sell them so I did not put up multiple posts on their greatness and features.

Just curious did you put the sales moves on the OP via pm or was that going to be in an upcoming post?

Please point out where I once mentioned, even hinted at SELLING these smokers, Mr Knowitall...
You are indeed showing your intelligence...

Could it be possible that I ordered a group order of these smokers for friends, family and for my customers??? You know, other people that might want to get a great Pelletsmoker and join in on the shipping savings...

Read my posts again, THEY HAVE NO DISTRIBUTORS!!! MUST PURCHASE DIRECTLY FROM THEM!!!

Why don't you ask the OP if I contacted him VIA PM???

You are a piece of work, likely DENIED ACCESS in your own home...
Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Please point out where I once mentioned, even hinted at SELLING these smokers, Mr Knowitall...
You are indeed showing your intelligence...

Could it be possible that I ordered a group order of these smokers for friends, family and for my customers??? You know, other people that might want to get a great Pelletsmoker and join in on the shipping savings...

Read my posts again, THEY HAVE NO DISTRIBUTORS!!! MUST PURCHASE DIRECTLY FROM THEM!!!

Why don't you ask the OP if I contacted him VIA PM???

You are a piece of work, likely DENIED ACCESS in your own home...
"Also, I have brought in many of the little RT 340s."
" I just ordered 15 of them"

You should by a gas oven and put your head in it. Bitter little guy aren't you?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmmmmm
Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Have a Grilling Day!!!
SS

They do have stellar reviews on them. I'll defiantly keep them in mind when I'm in the market for one.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Have a Grilling Day!!!
SS
That’s not true at all SS. It’s the good bad and ugly about Traiger and Louisiana not different pellet grills. It really hasn’t turned into “this”. Relax,,,the guys think you are a dealer now and are biased beyond just a cooker like the rest of us,,, I think the same thing based on your own posts.Would I buy a traiger, no unless it was a timberline, I would look at those. I would buy a Louisiana for the trailer or the phoenix house but not for home or a competition smoker. And to stray from the ops question,,the rec tec is a descent grill but I dont like their looks or the fact there is no dealer in canada. My two larger GMG’s have never let me down and they have replaced my Davey Crockett twice already but now its great. I have a yoder comp cart but would not do it again. Memphis,which looks like a traditional BBQ or the fast eddie will be my next one,,,once again off topic,,,,several fantastic chef type people on here like the stick burners or charcoal, home made or bought. Different strokes for different folks
Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 PM

Id like to add a question to this thread if I could. I don't have nor have tried a LG or Treager but do have a GMG and have one complaint that I'm surprised nobody has brought up. Cleaning the frickin thing is a pain in the butt! Take the 3 grates out, the upper shield, the bottom shield, the fire box cover. Then take your shop vac and suck up all the ash in the fire box and body of the bbq.

I've read that the "higher end ones" have an ash box that you dump out after every use or two. This feature alone may make it worth it to me to spend extra on my next one. My question- does anyone know what pellet grills have this magic trap door?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
"Also, I have brought in many of the little RT 340s."
" I just ordered 15 of them"

You should by a gas oven and put your head in it. Bitter little guy aren't you?
Thats right, I did order them, But where in the H3ll does it say I am SELLING them??? Family and friends are buying theirs and I am GIVING some of my customers one...
Instead of several people that I know ordering them in a bunch of orders, I ordered them all in one order... (1 order instead of 15, makes sense to most but apparently not you)

Let me dummy this down for someone with your IQ.
You and some people you know are thinking of purchasing the same guns from the US.
A light bulb goes off in your head, hey if we all ordered these together, we might save some money on shipping and maybe even get a break on a bulk order...
or even get something thrown in on the deal because we are ordering more than 1... Hmm, sounds like a great idea. You call and place the order. Your friends call and pay for their gun directly to the dealer, the product shows up in one bulk order and Bobs your uncle...

This is a bit embarrassing that I really need to explain this to you, but I understand that your kind are amongst us...

Whenever you're feeling up to finding out how little I am, give me a call, I would be delighted to educate you in other ways too.

Mods, feel free to wipe this thread out, its obvious you can't fix STUPID...

To the OP, sorry for the major trolling on this guys part, I hope you found some informative info from those who contributed something to your questions before this guy forced the train off the tracks.

Done with you!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Banned

Is it a bad time to point out the thread was created to compare a traegar to louisiana grill? How did we get on a rec tech again??

Sharp i like your passion on the grills. Bet they are awesome... but some of what you think makes a better grill could be debated forever.

Lots of great grills out there.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
Id like to add a question to this thread if I could. I don't have nor have tried a LG or Treager but do have a GMG and have one complaint that I'm surprised nobody has brought up. Cleaning the frickin thing is a pain in the butt! Take the 3 grates out, the upper shield, the bottom shield, the fire box cover. Then take your shop vac and suck up all the ash in the fire box and body of the bbq.

I've read that the "higher end ones" have an ash box that you dump out after every use or two. This feature alone may make it worth it to me to spend extra on my next one. My question- does anyone know what pellet grills have this magic trap door?
Define upper end, my Yoder is exactly the same as my gmg’s. I think the Memphis has a clean out tray but not sure
Old 03-29-2018, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Is it a bad time to point out the thread was created to compare a traegar to louisiana grill? How did we get on a rec tech again??

Sharp i like your passion on the grills. Bet they are awesome... but some of what you think makes a better grill could be debated forever.

Lots of great grills out there.
X2,,,, SS. Relax, your last post will likely get you a pm from a boss man, you insulted the guy more than once, in case you never noticed your the only one worked up here and for really no reason,,, you shoulda seen the bobber twitching before you swallowed the entire bait,,,relax and go smoke something
Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Define upper end, my Yoder is exactly the same as my gmg’s. I think the Memphis has a clean out tray but not sure
Upper end meaning higher quality, higher priced units.... not sure how much more clear i can be. Yoder to me would fall in that catagory. Another member let me know that Camp Chef grills have this feature and i've also read that the cabelas brand does (which is made by Camp Chef). These two units i'm aware aren't considered "upper end" but i will be looking at them just for this feature.

Maybe i shouldn't have brought this up considering it had nothing to do with the OP's brands of grills mentioned in his post but... If he's looking at a pellet grill it is a feature that i've thought would be a decision maker.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
Upper end meaning higher quality, higher priced units.... not sure how much more clear i can be. Yoder to me would fall in that catagory. Another member let me know that Camp Chef grills have this feature and i've also read that the cabelas brand does (which is made by Camp Chef). These two units i'm aware aren't considered "upper end" but i will be looking at them just for this feature.

Maybe i shouldn't have brought this up considering it had nothing to do with the OP's brands of grills mentioned in his post but... If he's looking at a pellet grill it is a feature that i've thought would be a decision maker.
I just mentioned the yoder to let you know all”upper end” dont have what you are looking for. I wonder why tho. The pot does get a crusty ash pile in it too so that would not come out with a tray. I do agree it is a pain. Some pellets do produce more ash than others too.