Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Looking for handheld GPS advice

My approx 15yr old handheld GPS died this week and I am looking for a replacement. I have not kept up with the technology during this time so I thought I would ask here for advice and then add it to my Father's day wishlist.

I am looking for a handheld unit to be used for marking way-points while hunting, fishing, farming, and quadding. I am looking for a unit that is good on batteries, accurate, has an altimeter, area calculator, stores routes, has topo maps and also not too expensive. I am not into geocaching.

I would prefer a larger screen - not too sure about using touch screen (poor eyes and fat fingers) I would also like to be able to download data to my computer.

I have checked out the Canadian Tire, London Drugs, Walmart, and Costco websites but they have a very limited selection. Are there any places in the Edmonton area other than Cabelas that have a selection? I wish there was a store like Calgary's GPS Central where I could go and compare before buying.

Thanks in advance
Sig
Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 AM

Not a GPS but this will be coming out this month

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 AM

If you're into refurbished ones I'm on about my eight year year of a refurbished one of these places sell them

Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Most smart phones now have GPS receivers in them and will work in area with out cell service
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM

I actually hardly use my GPS anymore I use my eye Hunter 99% of the time

Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
My approx 15yr old handheld GPS died this week and I am looking for a replacement. I have not kept up with the technology during this time so I thought I would ask here for advice and then add it to my Father's day wishlist.

I am looking for a handheld unit to be used for marking way-points while hunting, fishing, farming, and quadding. I am looking for a unit that is good on batteries, accurate, has an altimeter, area calculator, stores routes, has topo maps and also not too expensive. I am not into geocaching.

I would prefer a larger screen - not too sure about using touch screen (poor eyes and fat fingers) I would also like to be able to download data to my computer.

I have checked out the Canadian Tire, London Drugs, Walmart, and Costco websites but they have a very limited selection. Are there any places in the Edmonton area other than Cabelas that have a selection? I wish there was a store like Calgary's GPS Central where I could go and compare before buying.

Thanks in advance
Sig
Go for something like the Garmin GPSMAP64s. It'll do everything you want it to. Computer Software is available for free, and there are reasonable (though not superdetailed) crowd-sourced topographical maps available online for free or by donation. Or you can buy official ones from Garmin. You'll get lot's of battery life out of a set of lithium AA's as long as you're not recording an entire track for days at a time. If it's winter, you'll want to keep it warm against your body. It also has push button controls which are far better if you plan on using it in the winter. I find that touchscreens never seem to mix all that well with frigid temps and gloved fingers.

MEC carries them. Go and compare, and then purchase from somewhere like GPS Central if you're not into MEC.

HK
Old 05-17-2018, 11:05 PM

We use Garmin Rhinos (have 4) with the max size miniSD card they can take (it is either 32 or 64gb). Quite happy with them, and Backroads MapBooks are compatible with them.

Vic
Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 AM

I have two GPS units that I haven't used in a few years. I find my smart phone does everything a hand held GPS does and more.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
Go for something like the Garmin GPSMAP64s. It'll do everything you want it to. Computer Software is available for free, and there are reasonable (though not superdetailed) crowd-sourced topographical maps available online for free or by donation. Or you can buy official ones from Garmin. You'll get lot's of battery life out of a set of lithium AA's as long as you're not recording an entire track for days at a time. If it's winter, you'll want to keep it warm against your body. It also has push button controls which are far better if you plan on using it in the winter. I find that touchscreens never seem to mix all that well with frigid temps and gloved fingers.

MEC carries them. Go and compare, and then purchase from somewhere like GPS Central if you're not into MEC.

HK
The 64 is most likey your best choice now that the 60's aren't available. Or for a 64 with a different body (same internals), try the 78

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/gpsmap-78.html
Old 05-18-2018, 07:04 AM

garmin 64s would be my choice, with the backroads maps! work well in tree cover, works well.

gps city has the best price by far

Last edited by makin tracks; 05-18-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Thanks in advance
Sig
GPSCity or GPSCentral are both good for having quite the selection. My 20 year old Garmin Etrex Vista meets the above criteria, plus has a MicroSD card and I have custom maps loaded into it. Tough little unit - much tougher than my phone. And it handles what I need it to do. You could find them on Kijiji I imagine?

J.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 AM

I was looking at both the 64 series and etrex series as best for my purposes. How do these 2 series compare in the field? - hard to tell from spec sheets.

I am not familiar with the GPS apps available for the cell phone. Are some apps better than others?

Thanks in advance
Sig
Old 05-18-2018, 11:18 AM

I'd second the Garmin GPSMAP64st suggestion. I've run one for just over 2 years and like it. I've never used the eTrex so unfortunately I can't chime in with any authority on that front.

Regarding apps, I think you'll find that most guys and gals here use iHunter Alberta on their smartphones. It's a great app and I use it in addition to my GPS but the Garmin interface is significantly more powerful if you're looking for more than just the few tools in iHunter.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:15 PM

Not the high end units that have been mentioned here but I've had the Garmin Etrax 30 for a couple of years now and love it. not as big a screen as some of teh other units listed here but plenty big enough for me. I'll be picking up Backroads maps for it this year. It was also very reasonably priced.

I often start it up by my truck and it tracks where I go. Several times I've used it to take shortcuts through the bush and also follow my exact rout back to my vehicle late at night. I can also pre-plan a trip and lay down a rout to follow using Garmin Basecamp (free). Or download a rout I've walked to Basecamp to keep track of where I've been.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-20-2018, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up Garmin GPSMAP64ST

I recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP64ST from Cabelas. It was on sale - $100.00 off retail, and came with Canada Topo Maps loaded onto it. I plan on adding the Backroads Mapbook in the future. I've used it a bit, and am still learning to use all the features. For the short time I have owned this GPS unit, I am very satisfied with it.

Mr Conservation
Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Not a GPS but this will be coming out this month

If you’re going that route then you’re better off with the garmin in reach that is also a gps with viewable map screen

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing