Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 PM
That one last crafty bvr.

Default That one last crafty bvr.

Just got back from checkin bvr traps .Havin trouble in one spot catchin the last bvr.Its in a drainage ditch in a trailer prk in town.I stacked 2 330 conni in what I thought was the doorway.....no luck.I can see by the fresh snow he isn t even usin the trails he has comin on top of the house.I watched him fur a while feed on some poplars.Tomorrow mornin first thing I set a m.b.750 or a c.d.r. on a slide wire set.Just another example where the european union shouldn t be dictatin the tools the trapper should use...I ll keep ya updated..Zepf:hat P.S.Nice trackin snow.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Rob

Hey Zepf,

Got a beaver like that myself that just refuses to give up out by Genesee. Can always manage one adult and 2 or 3 kits each year (the lodge is fed by the North Sask) but can never manage to catch the other adult - a female I believe judging by the skinning of the other adults I've caught; they just don't seem to have the goods (pregnant?). Every year it (she) manages to stick some lumber in at least one of my 330s on the castor mound including this year last week.

Two years ago I photographed this beaver (or at least I believe it to be the same beaver) after trappin' was done by setting up a castor mound and had her come up real close. She growled at the lure and actualy crawled on top of it (she may have been scenting over top of it - not sure) while I was just a few feet away. It was pretty neat to watch.

Never thought of using a slide wire set. Thanks for the reminder Zepf.

By the way - have you got any carcasses yer lookin to sell? I've got a guy looking for half a dozen. I've got 7 left, he's lookin for a doz or more total. Give me a call when you get the chance.

Rob
Old 04-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Got the sob...finally

Default Got the sob...finally

Just got in from checkin traps.....caught old crafty.I tried usin a castor mound and some poplar branches with a leg hold and slide wire.No show.I had 2 of these sets out..he was some spooky.There was a 6 ft opening in an old dam they had dug up with a back hoe.I stuck my tater hoe in the center of the opening in the dam.There was a definite channel in the center approx. 4 ft deep.I piled a mess of branches and logs over the opening and left it for 3 days.Last nite I took an extension ladder and laid it across to make a bridge.I hung a 330 on wire just off the bottom....a classic diving log set.I went there this evening and trap was full.I find if pile a mess of debris across instead of a single log you have more sucess.I n trappin furever....Zepf:hat
Old 04-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Rob

Default Re: Got the sob...finally

Congrats on Ol' Crafty Zepf!
The tough one's are always the most satisfying.

Rob