Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

Sorry lomond I never looked at varmint rifles from either brand. I just know the m77 and even the hawkeyes nowdays are going cheaper than T3s. If I was looking for a varmit rifle I would go savage. Very accurate and they actualy seem to be priced according to what it costs to produce them unlike tikas, which IMO are of about the same quality.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
Is there any pressure on the firing pin when it is released???
Yes, though the firing spring is not fully compressed, it is still about half compressed, those springs are strong and there is lot of pressure on the firing pin and that force is tensed and resting dead center on the primer. The primer is forcing the pin back flush with the bolt face when the bolt is closed.

It's not like it will fire with the slightest tap, you could throw the gun around and drop it many times, sooner or later with the pressure of the pin resting hard upon the primer combined with just the right impact on the bolt there is enough reasonable risk of discharge that it isn't a good idea to practice..
Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Lots of plastic parts on the A7.
the A7 is also about 600.00 cheaper than the rest of sakos models.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Better yet don't carry a round in the chamber at all,safety on or not.I have never liked the idea.If your sitting for coyotes or deer on a cutline then a different story but for walking I don't agree with one in the pipe.Just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:00 AM

You cant go wrong with a Tikka or Sako!!!! Just dont buy Weatherby junk!! The dink that drives the BMW that cut you off today shots a Weatherby...Them are for guys with small ones!!!LOL (both BMW's & Weatherbys)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomondk View Post
Hey this is a new brand for me I'm looking at getting a Tikka T3 Varmit in a .308, but just looking for feedback from sombody who has used a Tikka before. I've heard they are a brother company to weatherby and I've heard nothing but good about weatherby they are just a little out of my price range. So yah anybody with feedback let me know
Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
You can take the polymer magazine from a Tikka, and run over it with a truck and it will still funtion fine. I doubt any of the metal clips from other manufacturers would fair as well. Plastic is light, durable, and cheap, and unlike metal it won't rust. It functions fine for it's use. I have several Tikka's and the shoot and function great.

The plastic Tikka magazine is NOT cheap !But I know what you're getting at.
TM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
sheephunter

It was kind of like when Glocks first came out and everyone refered to them as Tupperware guns. Now, virtually every manufacturer offers a polymer pistol. Amazing what they'll stand up to in testing...more than many of the metal guns....
Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM

i have a tikka t-3 lite in a 7mm stainless and it is by far the best rifle i own..i use it as my goto rifle for all my hunts...as with meby guys on here i have a good full gun cabinet but my tikka out shoots all of them...the clip is strong...strong enough to run my 3/4 ton dodge over it with my 35 inch tires and not a scratch...

would i buy another tikka???yes...any new rifle i buy will be a tikka...true tack drivers at a great price...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Tikkas are a great rifle, most are generally accurate, smooth and dependable. I sold the two tikkas I had, not because there was something wrong with them but my preference is that I don't like clips and didn't like that I couldn't load the shells to overall lengths I wanted to play with because the magazines are so short. Seems kinda silly to manufacture a long action then put a clip in so short that it limits your ability to reload and experiment as you wish too. Don't like the coinslot receiver opening as I like to load guns from the top and this makes it difficult to freely single load and impossible to load the clip from the ejection port. I had fun playing with them but they just didn't grow on me. The 7-08 was decently accurate, the 25-06 was adequate for hunting but nothing to write home about in the accuracy department..
Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
The plastic Tikka magazine is NOT cheap !But I know what you're getting at.
TM.
It is not plastic!
It is a polymer.(a combination of materials resulting in a stronger material than any of the single components)

Having seen many stamped metal detachable mags get, bent loading lips, I can tell you a metal clip is'nt fail safe either.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Tikkas are a great rifle, most are generally accurate, smooth and dependable. I sold the two tikkas I had, not because there was something wrong with them but my preference is that I don't like clips and didn't like that I couldn't load the shells to overall lengths I wanted to play with because the magazines are so short. Seems kinda silly to manufacture a long action then put a clip in so short that it limits your ability to reload and experiment as you wish too. Don't like the coinslot receiver opening as I like to load guns from the top and this makes it difficult to freely single load and impossible to load the clip from the ejection port. I had fun playing with them but they just didn't grow on me. The 7-08 was decently accurate, the 25-06 was adequate for hunting but nothing to write home about in the accuracy department..
A very fair evaluation.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Default edmonton buysell

there are three for sale on edmonton buysell right now. two 7mm one 338
Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM

I like the idea of being able to adjust the trigger so i adjusted my .223 down to two pounds and love it.Today I decided to take it out on some gophers and took out one at 230yds,lots from 100 to 150 yds.A few people said it is a waste of shells but I see it as practice,I have had lots of coyotes just poke their head over the knoll and I sure wished I had a gun to thread the needle,now I do.I wouldn't hesitate to have another Tikka.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Default like it

I have one in 30/06 and like it a lot except for the plastic stock. IF I was gonna buy another one I'd be tempted to get one with the laminated stock, but that's just personal preference. The other thing I did was put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it.

Butter smooth action, decent trigger (that I haven't bothered fiddling with), and lots of accuracy for hunting. I like my new featherweight better, but I am not scared of getting that Tikka dinged up like I am the winchester.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned

Do you actualy prefer the tika to the ruger mentioned in the other half of your name? SHAME!!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:01 PM

My neighbour has a tikka 25-06 laminated one. I have personally put a few rounds through it. Very good shooter and I'd say worth the money. Not to cheap, not to expensive, but well worth it.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:38 PM

hi guys,
cheapest tikka magazines around:
http://www.shooterschoice.ca/

ask for roger,great guy.
TM.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Beinging of the year I got a T3 varmit (heavy barrel) 23.75" stainless, in 300WM. Put a cheap spare borrowed scope on it and within 2 shots for scope adjustment was doing a quick 3shot grouping 1" circle at 100yd. You could just measure the inches and click the MOAs and it shot where it was suppose to be moved to.
Trigger adjustment is very easy to do - trigger is crisp.
The gun cycles very nice and precise - no empty shell failing to eject away - you could put a basket to your right and it would hit the same spot everytime.

Wasn't a big fan of the pastic stock-but now have changed my mine. Wood if finished right looks very nice but wood is supseptable to air humidity, plastic is not. You may have to do some wood removal after a few years on some wood stock to ensure that your barrel is free floating -not with plastic.

Also before I would have never rested a nice wood forestock on a block of wood - with plastic no worries - a few scratches adds character and can be fixed very quickly. You can also camo paint your plastic stock - doubt you would do that to a nice wood stock.

Added a limbsaver which is black - on a brown wood stock looks out of place. So would the black metal harris bipod.

As for the light plasticky feel of the stock I added/filled the stock butt with electrical putty. Adds weight and heft to the gun but the recoil is more of a push than a punch - my 14yr old son shoots it without concern. I think it makes the gun more stable and feels better and not as plastic. For guys that like sheep hunting -weight seems to be an issue - the way I figure it a reduction in beer drinking will reduce the two pounds difference.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
I currently own 2 of em. Originally bought a 270 T3 for the wife, but she went & got pregnant that season, so I used it & was very happy...so happy in fact, that after the child was born I ordered a fancy T3 Stainless in 270 WSM w/ laminated grey stock and threw on a nice Leopold scope in Gun Metal Grey color for myself...In 2 words, awesome rifle!. Now the old lady shoots her's often at the range and can group 1/4" at 100 yds. She even smoked a mangy coyote in our back yard at 100 yds +/- last week with it. Damn her...she gets the first kill from the deck LOL.
hahaha a quarter inch groups at 100 yards? by a woman? BS!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen View Post
hahaha a quarter inch groups at 100 yards? by a woman? BS!
Why BS?
I know more than a few women that are capable and have shot groups 1/4MOA, and in matches as well.
Cat
Old 07-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Default Tikka vs ?

I have owned a Sako 7mm r.u.m from new out of box, sold it last year and bought a Tikka T3 lite 270 wsm-- nicest most accurate gun I have ever shot! I have seen the clips being driven over by a truck and work like new. As for the safety issue, a minor technicallity! This gun shoots .5'' groups at 100yds with factory ammo. Couldn't get that with my Sako with handloads! I also have Remington,Winchester,Savage and Parker Hale guns in my collection and my next gun will be another Tikka!
Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 PM

How is it that so many of you guys end up driving over your Tikka magazines with your pickup trucks??
Old 07-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Banned

Tikkas are one of the few guns that will give you a sub MOA guarantee out of the box. Remington will not- even with their police specials. The only way to get a guaranteed sub MOA gun from remington is to go the "Custom Gun Shop" route through Remington - but expect to pay 2-3X more.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 AM

Smile Tikka

I have a Tikka in a 7mm and have been very happy with it. I have never had a issue with it. Tack driver. I have used it in warm weather and cold never let me down. I have shot many animals with it dropped all with one to two shots second shot as insurance.