Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Default New Hunter Hooked

Late this summer I had a good buddy of mine take a little more serious look at getting into hunting (finally). He went and bought himself a new bow, shot alot over the weeks to get the confidence he needed to head out after whitetails with it this year. Well we hunted hard with bows, but never got him the opportunity for a shot that he felt comfortable with unfortunately. So a couple weeks ago I took him out with my black powder rifle and he managed to take a young deer on his first shot at a big game animal....open sights I'll add! Needless to say he was pretty excited to see it laying there, as was I. Still a little time left, so hopefully manage to get one with a rifle before the season closes.
Actually he had a little excitement a month or 2 ago.... I had dropped him off at his stand and told him that I'd be back to pick him up at dark. Unfortunately for him, I managed to get stuck about 20 min before dark, miles away from him. By the time I got there it was an hour and a half past dark, and of course that is the night that a black bear decides to hang around under his stand after dark! That was pretty much his first encounter with a bear so I can imagine there was a little more excitement than he tried to make out! He snapped branches, talked loudly, put the flashlight on it and I guess the bear really didn't see him as much of a threat. Well he finally walked into willows so my buddy made a bunch of noise getting out of the stand and turned on the weather breifing on his GPS loud for some added noise as he walked out and I met him on the trail about a half mile from his stand. Figure he did pretty good with the whole thing, and likely a good experience for him to get out of the way sooner than later. Guess he's all preped up for spring bear now I told him!
So the good news is I have a new hunting partner, bad news..... I don't think his wife is gonna like me too much longer with the amount of time we are spending out in the bush!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM

good job gettin new hunters out into the bush, and im glad everything worked out for him. I myself am taking my brother in law out on friday to try to get his first deer. Its funny to see buck fever develop so quickly in these new guys, but in all fairness I probably get it just as bad
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Great job RUM getting another hunter on board. Sounds like a great first season.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Great job RUM getting another hunter on board. Sounds like a great first season.
X2 - way to go RUM. It's always good to hear about good people becoming hunters.