Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Because shooting from a known distance from a fixed bench doesn't equate to the unknown conditions found in the field. Scared is not the right word - pragmatic is.
Pragmatic is great, and if that means you don't wound an animal, even better. A clean kill is what we all hope for.

My point is that a head shot under 100 is not a difficult task if you know your kit and wait for the right exposure. A shooter does not require a rangefinder if the animal is well under the 100 mark. Under 100, the unknown conditions to which you refer don't make a difference. I would agree with your statement of unknowns if we are discussing long range head shots, but even then, the technology is available to the hunter, but even I have no intention of pushing my kit to that extent.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Default head shots

I watched a head shooter take the lower jaw off a cow elk with a 300 mag at 100 yards, cow ran away with about 6 inches of jaw blown away, head shots don't impress me much.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Vindal...it's a great percentage chance of recovery that a good boiler room shot is retrievable. With a good bullet that expands rapidly, the blood spray and pattern will lead you to your downed animal. Hunted 35 years and not lost one animal yet.....knock on wood.
Up until this year I had never seen one lost either. But unless you are hitting low on the chest with full pass through I wouldn't be too hyped up on that blood trail being dependable. I have seen lots of them with no blood trail at all as the chest cavity fills up.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Pragmatic is great, and if that means you don't wound an animal, even better. A clean kill is what we all hope for.

My point is that a head shot under 100 is not a difficult task if you know your kit and wait for the right exposure. A shooter does not require a rangefinder if the animal is well under the 100 mark. Under 100, the unknown conditions to which you refer don't make a difference. I would agree with your statement of unknowns if we are discussing long range head shots, but even then, the technology is available to the hunter, but even I have no intention of pushing my kit to that extent.
I agree that head shots for a competent shooter are not a problem at those ranges - I shoot gophers out to 250 with my hunting rig. But it also depends on what you are intending. My sight in is 3" high at 100 yards, which is enough that I would need to make hold adjustments on a head shot inside 100 depending on the range. I don't intend to make adjustments to my sight in just so I can be more successful at taking higher risk shots and pass up a greater number of shooting opportunities because conditions were not quite right. (The number of conditions under which you can trust the deers head to remain stationary versus the main body mass to remain stationary are considerably different.) But, if anyone else likes to ensure quick, clean, dead on the spot kills by taking head shots in controlled conditions with equipment they are proficient with I have no problem with it. I have done it myself, but don't anymore and won't anymore.

I have wounded 2 in 31 years. One I recovered, one I didn't. Both were missed chest cavity shots. I have helped recover two missed head shots where the jaw was obliterated.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Gone Hunting

A guy spends a good deal of time and effort and money getting a good rifle/scope and ammo combination. Then he spends a good deal of time and effort at the range working on his rig and practicing his shooting.

Then he says, making the head shot is "no problem" "it is fairly easy" "its not that difficult"

I would guess a large number of hunters are doing well to shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards with their hunting rifle. This is not real good head shot accuracy unless the animal is about 40 yards away.

It looks like most above are in agreement that the head shot can be taken on some occasions when conditions may dictate. But we mostly prefer to take a chest shot and usually do.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:19 PM

I find this discussion quite interesting. I have no intention of directing others to try making headshots. I was quite sure I commented that I have good gear and most importantly, I wait for the right opportunity as well. I wish other readers would focus on this last reference to having the right opportunity instead of sending me snarky and insulting messages. The vast majority of animals that I have taken by head shot were bedded, not moving, and at close range from a supported position. Never a single head shot if the wind were present.

My tried and true rifles are Sub MOA. A rifle with a 3 inch grouping does not join me on a hunt. My recent Titanium is not a shooter and for this reason I would never dream of trying a headshot with such a rifle.

Most interesting about this is the often extremely negative attitude I recieve for even mentioning a headshot. Again, I add that I am not telling others they should use headshots, only that I use them only when safe to do so because of confidence in my gear, skill, and window of opportunity to line up a shot. Two seasons back, one fellow, upon looking into the back of my truck to see two dead whitetails, both dropped from obvious headshots, began to condemn with the disdain someone would direct towards a child molester. How had I wronged this individual or anyone else that does not agree with ever taking a headshot?

Know the gear, maintain the load, practice often, know the range, never shoot beyond ability, and wait for the right opportunity. If the headshot does not work for you, not a problem, go for the heart/lung shot.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 PM

The prefered shot for me is broadside, heart/lung. On a frontal shot within 50yds I prefer upper neck to a head shot.

Last edited by j m; 12-07-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 PM

Since I was the reason the head shot thread got started, here is my 280 group a week ago. Tried some 140 gr tsx those are the top two in the 3 inch then we went with my usual 139gr interlock those are the two where the one shot is in the green and then the one below it in the orange, moved scope over some and I got the 3 shot group, two in the same hole. That group is just under 1/2 an inch. I also shot freehand with my doe as well. We live on a gun range, are members here and members in the rocky gun range. We go to the range very very often. Got the best load that works the best in my gun for me.

Beth

Last edited by Kelly & Beth; 11-17-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: post in guns and ammo as well
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika View Post
I watched a head shooter take the lower jaw off a cow elk with a 300 mag at 100 yards, cow ran away with about 6 inches of jaw blown away, head shots don't impress me much.
I watched several chest shooters hit their deer too far back and watched the animals hunch off, leaving stomach contents and small blood drops behind, never to be recovered.

Was that any worse than a jaw shot elk?

Point is, make the shots you KNOW you can make. If in doubt or just considering "seeing what happens" -- don't shoot.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Head shot, frontal, broadside, Texas heart shot, all are lethal if placed properly. NONE are any good with a 458mag if the shot is not made properly!
I have witnessed a white tail take off after being gut shot with a 375H&H, truly a disgusting thing.
Especially after I was told that it was the best there is by the guy shooting it, and apparantly he was an "expert shot"!!
Hit them where you are aiming and all is well.
There - I'm done, C'ya!
Cat
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM

I wouldn't knock another hunter for taking a head shot. I just don't do it. I'm not concerned with potential meat damage and I have a low enough opinion of my shooting skills that I want to take the highest percentage shot possible. I've passed on lots of stuff most of you would probably take a shot at (completely competently and successfully).
Old 11-18-2008, 03:14 PM

When we push the bush in shotgun only areas head shots with 00 buck are very effective and lethal. I always try to double lung though and have never attempted a head shot, I would if a tree was blocking the preferred chest shot or if I had a good close shot with the buck shot as described above.

I shot an elk last year, double lung at 30 yards, full pass through, not a drop of blood to be found anywhere, animal want about 150 yards and I almost gave up looking before I came across him. So chest is no guarantee of a blood trail.

Dave