Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Deer Butt Out Tool

For anyone who hasn't used one of these, and hates dealing with coring the arse hole of deer...I would highly recommend buying one of these. We've been using them this season, did a deer with it tonight and it works perfect. You don't have to get hands on with the a-hole at all, stick it in, twist, pull it out. Then just put the guts out and your done.

http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable...&categoryID=15
Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 PM

James
Seen them in the store but thought it was a joke, great to hear they work so well. Think I will be getting one
Gramps
Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 PM

I tried them on 2 deer and must be using them wrong. Do you do most of your gutting before or after you use them. Maybe I'm screwing it up but have a problem with the membrane just tearing no matter how gentle I pull. Any tips?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 PM

Shove it up his ass all the way to the T-handle.....twist it until it gets tight, pull it straight out slooowly, and it will turn inside out and pull right out nicely. Pull it out all the way, you might have to cut it once it comes out all the way, but it will usually just break from you pulling on it. Then gut the deer. Theres those grooves on the butt-out so all you gotta do is run your knife blade down it to remove the long arsehole from the tool so you never even have to touch it.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Default butt out tool

As James says shove it in all the way and twist slowly until its tight but then I pull it 10 or 12 ins. and tie it off. I then cut the part outside off and whatever is left goes into the body cavity and is removed with the guts I do not even split the pelvic bone makes things very simple.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Never been bothered by touching a deer's arsehole myself (I guess I'm secure in both my sexuality and species ). Don't need anything else in my pack and my Buck knife cores out the pelvis just fine and probably damn near as fast.

I put it in the same class as the RADICATOR

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-CHA555

A tool that does what a whack on the side of the boat or -- if you're hardcore -- a bite to the back of the head can accomplish.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Funny how people can so easily dismiss something they've never tried....

For the couple of ounces the Deer Butt Out adds, it's earned a place in my pack too. I'm not shy about handling the south-end of a north-facing deer and have cleaned a lot of deer arseholes over the years with my trusty blade, but nowhere near as quick or as neatly as the last couple of years with the Butt Out! In fact - just did a w/t doe with one this afternoon!

And call me a wussy, but killing a slippery fish by whacking it on the side of the boat is a recipe for an unintended release, or a bashed hand! Maybe the fish I catch are particularly slimy - or maybe I'm poorly coordinated, but I generally regret forgetting my 'bonker' whenever I go to kill a fish
Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

I have one and have used it this year, would never go without it. SJEMAC if you figure you can do what the Butt Out tool does just as quick you must be a magician. Less than five seconds you have the anus removed and ready to start gutting.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Funny how people can so easily dismiss something they've never tried....

For the couple of ounces the Deer Butt Out adds, it's earned a place in my pack too. I'm not shy about handling the south-end of a north-facing deer and have cleaned a lot of deer arseholes over the years with my trusty blade, but nowhere near as quick or as neatly as the last couple of years with the Butt Out! In fact - just did a w/t doe with one this afternoon!

And call me a wussy, but killing a slippery fish by whacking it on the side of the boat is a recipe for an unintended release, or a bashed hand! Maybe the fish I catch are particularly slimy - or maybe I'm poorly coordinated, but I generally regret forgetting my 'bonker' whenever I go to kill a fish
For the latter part, I'm talking ducks and other birds (you'd know that if you read the advert). Everyone has a whacking stick for fish.

I'm not talking just the arsehole, but the entire urinary/excretory tract. The BUTTHOLER 2000 does not take out the vagina/penis/bladder. I core the whole kit and caboodle, tie it off and make sure nothing leaks. I don't split the pelvis. I'll put my knife against your BUTTHOLER any day. I might finish a few seconds behind you but mine will be cleaner. Wanna race?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Eyeswideshut

I do the same as Sjemac, and I make sure everything is tied off.

But we all have our choices, and use what suits us best,.. my father taught me certain ways,.. and I have used them since I was young,.. They work for me and being pigheaded do not wish to change, and when my kids get old enough to hunt,.. I will hand down what I have learned.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Banned

1 belt knife. Under 5 minutes to field dress. Everything is clean. Why do I need another tool?

Have at her if you think you need one.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 AM

I keep a 6" blade fillette knife in my pack.
The skinning knife just never got the canal job done.
You could always split the pelvic bone and any knife would finnish.

TBark
Old 11-14-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
1 belt knife. Under 5 minutes to field dress. Everything is clean. Why do I need another tool?

Have at her if you think you need one.
You might need another tool, but maybe help those starting out/less experienced without someone to train them.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 AM

Ive seen the tool around before but wasnt sure of what to make of it.
Might have to give it a try.
I always split the pelvis with a small hatchet I carry in my pack. My friends have started using saws but I find they take a bit to setup and they're a bit of pain to clean off before you put it away.
I dont really care if I look like an axe murderer while using a hatchet to split the pelvis or the chest cavity open.
I've used it on countless deer and 2 moose and it seems to work for me.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 AM

Default Gutting

The last thing I need is another piece of crap in my pack. One tool I find invaluable is my knap saw. Mine is a buck about 14 inches long. Frist I use a long knife and cut around the anus hugging the pelvis bone. Next I cut up the hide on the belly across the brisket to the neck. Then I saw up through the brisket and through the pelvis. Cut the windpipe and pull back cutting free the organs. You will have to cut the diaphragm free at that point. After that pull every thing out while making cuts if needed. I'm not convinced the butt out is going to work on elk and moose.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Just thought I might add for any nubes reading this if you dicide not to purchase the tool (I would recomend you do purchase it) and decide to use a fillet knife or long bladed knife watch out for the bladder which is easily punchured when hollowing out the anal canal with a long knife. You do not want pee on your hinds or tenderloins.
I think this tool is great in theory but have yet to be able to try it. FYI its very light and only 7inches long so if you hunt with a pack its really not that hard to include and alot lighter than a different knife specific for the job!!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6rI9bMlXsQ

Makes this tool look pretty good!!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

Fellas, would Wholesale Sports in Edmonton sell this tool???
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM

Yes they do!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM

I used to use a hatchet for splitting the pelvis, but found the chopped bone was so sharp that it would cut my hands badly when I was working down there - especially when it was very cold out and my hands were numb and I was trying to work fast!

After reading about the 'gutless' cleaning method on this forum, I'm trying that out.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 AM

They should. I got mine at Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 AM

This item sounds like it actually might work for some people.

I am just curious what you do with this crappy, smelly thing once you are done. It does not look very easy to clean in the field. Do you just put it in your pocket until you get home, use your shirttail or maybe your sock...LOL
Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
The last thing I need is another piece of crap in my pack. One tool I find invaluable is my knap saw. Mine is a buck about 14 inches long. Frist I use a long knife and cut around the anus hugging the pelvis bone. Next I cut up the hide on the belly across the brisket to the neck. Then I saw up through the brisket and through the pelvis. Cut the windpipe and pull back cutting free the organs. You will have to cut the diaphragm free at that point. After that pull every thing out while making cuts if needed. I'm not convinced the butt out is going to work on elk and moose.
I'm new to big game, but I FD'd my fifth deer this year using this method and found it perfect. I use a cable saw to cut through the pelvis, so you don't need a long knife to cut around the anus. A knife width cut above the anus gets the cable saw in and once the guts are all out the last cut around the anus does the trick. The cable saw weighs nothing and takes up no room in my fanny pack. I'm sure that tying off the "south end" would work as well, but I like having the pelvis open to clean the cavity better.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Default butt out

Well truth be know I aint a great deer hunter and with the lack of success comes the even less stellar gutting/cleaning part of a successfull hunt.
I spotted this tool south of the border last spring and figured for 5 dollars Cnd I wasnt going to pass it up.
First time I used it this fall I too ran into almost ripping the membrane, but was quick enough to realize I should shove it back in a lil further and try again. ( was lots of daylight , no need to rush )
But, the one thing my hunting partner suggested was a plastic zap strap to tie of the tube before cutting, so this was added to teh kit as well before we left town. That in itself made my less than 5 gutting experiences the success that it was.
Only bad part about the tool was when I was at Customs Canada and the 25 yrd old Border Gaurd asked me the Value of the goods I purchased
Cheers,
Rob
Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 AM

I bought one of those butthole removers and showed it to my oldest son......best behaved kid in SW Edmonton, I guarantee it.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Well truth be know I aint a great deer hunter and with the lack of success comes the even less stellar gutting/cleaning part of a successfull hunt.
I spotted this tool south of the border last spring and figured for 5 dollars Cnd I wasnt going to pass it up.
First time I used it this fall I too ran into almost ripping the membrane, but was quick enough to realize I should shove it back in a lil further and try again. ( was lots of daylight , no need to rush )
But, the one thing my hunting partner suggested was a plastic zap strap to tie of the tube before cutting, so this was added to teh kit as well before we left town. That in itself made my less than 5 gutting experiences the success that it was.
Only bad part about the tool was when I was at Customs Canada and the 25 yrd old Border Gaurd asked me the Value of the goods I purchased
Cheers,
Rob
Makes the rubber glove look like a walk in the park
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM

I watched the videos and will stick with my method. Some of those guys were only ripping out half the rectum, they weren't taking care of the urinary tract that way and they are still leaving a severed poop tube in the animal to leak while they gut the rest.

I never split the pelvis BTW, just core it out. I hang my deer by the pelvis now.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
They should. I got mine at Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove

................awesome!!! I live just blocks away from there!!! First stop after work!!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:35 AM

I have used the tool for the last 2 seasons. I have but one comment other than FANTASTIC, and that is don't pull it too far out. The issues I have run into when pulling out too far is that the bladder has the tendency to pull and possiblly break. I got the tool when a couple of buddies were with me and now after using it we have all got one!!!!! I use the tool first thing seems to be easier..Happy hunting!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM

I have had one now for the past 4 seasons and seems it only works half the time, seems like i end up ripping the membrane when pulling it out, but when it did work it was great. Not sure why it rips so often?