Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 06:30 AM

Default deer and elk farms

ok ive seen both wt and elk farms do they have muledeer farms if not why?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:35 AM

if a lot of people had it thier way, there wouldn't be anymore deer or elk CWD factories.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 AM

Read a small article in the paper last year about a moose farm in Sweden where you can buy a pound of moose cheese for $500 American.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
if a lot of people had it thier way, there wouldn't be anymore deer or elk CWD factories.
They are absolute BS and the reason Saskatchewan is having all of their disease problems that are heading west. You should NOT be able to keep and bread indigenous species (for profit) in Canada. It is disgraceful that we are in panic mode for certain species out here right now because the Gov. didn't have the set to tell some whining, sniveling land owners that they cannot use their property in a manner that can effect the wildlife around them.
CWD can be attributed very keenly to the High Fence operations, specifically in Sask. This is what happens when you trade animals around like baseball cards to gain "better heads" for slob hunters that want to shoot 400" elk on a section of land.
They should keep our wildlife sovereign and shut all of these operations down in Canada. Those sh&t heads should be paying for all the control and time spent trying to control this problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 AM

yes they farm mule deer there was a guy on secondary 627 and ranged rd 120 i believe it was just south west of stony plain AB that raised mule deer
and i dont believe that that the cwd wouldnt be so bad if the gvmt knew more about it but they arent about to be useing cattle and shut down that industry
so they have to mass slaughter deer to find one or 2 in a thousand if the deer die from it the scavengers make fast work of them and they have nuttin to study any ways if they let nature take its course then the coyotes would clean up on them
i suppose they are scared that it will spread to domestic animals and they cant have that But it was the domestic animals EG cattle sheep that brought the disease to canada to begin wth
as far as Elk farms why not just monitor them and raise them for restocking purposes
Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaks View Post
ok ive seen both wt and elk farms do they have muledeer farms if not why?
The answer to your question (without spouting off about CWD), is that Mulies have a more diverse diet, and therefore they don't do as well in captivity. Thats not to say its never been or can't be done, its just more difficult from what I've read. I had asked the same question awhile back, and that was what I had come up with, hope it helps.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:02 PM

I've driven past that farm out by Stony Plain...the deer looked scrawny and sickly. mind you it was a few years ago.

Last edited by bunnyhunter; 11-18-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM

since the appearance of CWD has been correlated by date & geography to game farms I think it's a valid point.