Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Do you carry a medical kit

I mean a real medical kit. One you put together yourself.

Here is why I ask:

I am in the Lansing Mountains in the Yukon, an hour and a half flight from Mayo. I am skinning a moose (like I have done dozens and dozens of times before). My client is holding the front leg of the moose. He lets go as I am skinning. My real nice thin bladed knife gets buried in my wrist, at an angle, almost 2". Instinct kicks in and I pull the blade out. You guessed it, squirting blood.

I apply direct pressure and the plane is on its way because we use Iridium sat phones instead of Globalstar.

I had the gear I needed to keep from bleeding to death. And more importantly, I had it with me.

Guys and gals, if it can happen to me, it can happen to you. I hope you all have a kit that you carry with gear in it to deal with almost every situation.

We often haggle about scopes and ammo and rifles but I don't see many references to medical kits. I should have posted this earlier in the season, but better late than never.

You can buy xylocaine (freezing) and insulin syringes over the counter. Pressure bandages and tape. Polysporin or similar for bad bug bites. Any medicentre or clinic will probably give you a suture kit if you ask nice....etc etc.

Take a few bucks to the pharmacy and get yourself some stuff to carry in your pockets with you. I hope you never have to use it.

First pic: My client (a sick sense of humour, just like me, took this photo as I apply direct pressure)

Second pic: Pretty obvious......

Last edited by huntinstuff; 11-15-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM

I carry a medical kit and crazy glue - worked in 'Nam, so I guess it would work here.

Cat
Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 AM

Crazy Glue Does work. Here are some of the things that i Carry.

Duct Tape And Non Stick Gauze
Tourniquet (Dont Ask Dont Tell)
Sewing Kit (For those times you are brave and want to sew yourself up as for me I pay taxes so Doctors and Nurses can Fix me up)
Polysporin
Benadryl Itch Relief Cream
Ibuprophin
Laxative
Crazy Glue
Latex Gloves
Tensor type bandage

With the above there is not much that I can't treat. Sure you get some weird looks with a big silver duct taped arm at the emergency room but really sometimes the nurses and doctors there need a good laugh.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 AM

The only thing I carry is a pressure bandage.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrampie View Post

Sewing Kit (For those times you are brave and want to sew yourself up as for me I pay taxes so Doctors and Nurses can Fix me up)
Polysporin
Ibuprophin
Laxative
Crazy Glue
Latex Gloves
Tensor type bandage

With the above there is not much that I can't treat. Sure you get some weird looks with a big silver duct taped arm at the emergency room but really sometimes the nurses and doctors there need a good laugh.
x2, i also carry a plastic mouth to mouth protector for CPR;prevents fluids and vomit from ending up in your mouth!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrampie View Post

Polysporin
Ibuprophin
Laxative
Crazy Glue
Latex Gloves
Tensor type bandage

Laxative? I've never needed that. Just the opposite actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
x2, i also carry a plastic mouth to mouth protector for CPR;prevents fluids and vomit from ending up in your mouth!!!!
Got one as well. If I'm going somewhere really remote on my quad, I pack an extra jerry can, a thin sleeping bag, tarp, tire repair kit, rope, basic tools, hatchet, matches, medikit, tp, and regs. Off course I've got a back pack with my hunting tools, and some grub.
Overkill? maybe, but I'm the type that will keep going out in the bush(you know just one more hill to see whats on the other side). It doesnt matter if I'm on foot or my quad. I'm the poster boy for SPOT and satellite phones
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM

I've always got a first aid kit, with extra food, water treatment, and fire starting materials.

Never needed to use it, hope I don't. Also have my rescue diver ticket which includes my emergency first responder certification. Updating CPR this month.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:53 PM

Good thread Huntinstuff...

I've always carried a first aid kit with the usual stuff for minor cuts scrapes and bruises.

I've been in the oilpatch for almost 25 years, and have lots of first aid courses etc, and have rarely had to deal with anything serious (one guy with a broken back), and have had good luck hunting with only minor cuts, etc, but it does happen...

Since I started working with the chainsaw in the last couple years have worked with some really great first aiders, who set me up with a military type "blow out kit" for severe bleeds, I now carry one at work, and when I go hunting, just in case. These kits are nice and small and have a couple quickclot packs, a compression bandage, tourniquet, couple rolls gauze, a nasal airway, alchohol swabs, couple safety pins, duct tape, and nitrile gloves. You never know right, and it could save a life...
Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 PM

Being a Paramedic I ALWAYS carry one whenever im out on the roads/bush. I cant stress enough how important it is for early first aid, As well as early CPR it will probably be the difference between life and death.
Also on a side note that I think everyone should carry is some asprin, studys have been done that when an active MI (heart attack) is happening early asprin admin decreases cardiac tissue death by 60%
Just something to think about considering the most everyone will work pretty hard at some point while in the bush.
As for the medi centers giving out suture materials, that may be tough as there are a few legal issues with that, I would suggest a needle and thread and some iodine for cleaning it.
And never forget the tournaqet as a last ditch effort, had a call not to long ago that would have saved the hunters life if a tournaquet was applied!!! (but remember if a tournaquet is applied more then likely anything under it will be amputated from lack of blood flow!)
Old 11-17-2008, 12:17 AM

yep i carry a kit too in the car and feild and crazy glue worksamazing we always use it in rugby to close cuts, and i even carry sutures(stiches) i have no problem closing myself up if need be, hell even my dog has a kit
Old 11-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Yes I carry a kit, store bought but everything I need. had to add advil to it to make sure it was complete.
I too cutmyself shen working with the animal, between kids talking and me not paying as much attention to the job I put a nice gash in my finger, bled like the niml I shot but glad I was back at the house by then.
OH in my emergency kit there is also toilet paper (as much an emergency as anything else when you are in the bush) lol

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divert View Post
Being a Paramedic I ALWAYS carry one whenever im out on the roads/bush. I cant stress enough how important it is for early first aid, As well as early CPR it will probably be the difference between life and death.
Also on a side note that I think everyone should carry is some asprin, studys have been done that when an active MI (heart attack) is happening early asprin admin decreases cardiac tissue death by 60%
Just something to think about considering the most everyone will work pretty hard at some point while in the bush.
As for the medi centers giving out suture materials, that may be tough as there are a few legal issues with that, I would suggest a needle and thread and some iodine for cleaning it.
And never forget the tournaqet as a last ditch effort, had a call not to long ago that would have saved the hunters life if a tournaquet was applied!!! (but remember if a tournaquet is applied more then likely anything under it will be amputated from lack of blood flow!)
Divert,would it be worthwhile to carry nitro spray?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 AM

I carry a kit in the vehicle, but it was intended more for others than myself. In the field pack I carry plenty of water, compass, and a couple of heat pads to ward off chills.

When I hike during the summer, I usually step up the first aid gear.