Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Looking for Hunting with Beagles advice...

Hey there folks,

I'm in Fort St John BC and was wondering if anyone in the Grande Prairie area (or within a few hours) runs snowshoe hare's with beagles? I have an 8 month old (I know it's late) i'd like to get on rabbits but don't have any experienced dogs to run him with. Since I live in an apartment building I can't get any live rabbits for him to trail and jump either. Should I buy scent and get him to trail it? I've been going to highly active hare spots and letting him loose and think he might have jumped one (he sounded for a few seconds then stopped) but don't know if this is the wrong approach. He comes from hunting lines but will they naturally learn to sound and track hare? Any tips or advice would be great and if anyone knows of a pack of trained dogs I can run him with that would be great. He's a pet first and hunting dog second so I'm not looking to make him a champion hunter but thought it would be a fun activity for us both.

Thanks for any help

Dan C

wathunk@hotmail.com
Old 11-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I've been going to highly active hare spots and letting him loose and think he might have jumped one (he sounded for a few seconds then stopped) but don't know if this is the wrong approach.
You got er bud.....this is definitly the right approach. I started many a beagle pups like this. It's bred into them so just take em where the bunnies are and they will do the rest.
G'luck!