Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-31-2021, 10:32 PM

Default Best value broadhead for elk and moose

I am shooting Magnus stingers that seem pretty tough and the company sends you a new one if you bend any blades. It’s been 9 years with these and as long as I tune them to the arrow they will shoot like a dart. Are the newer broadhead much better? And if so, how so?
Old 09-01-2021, 09:45 AM

Default Magnus

What I like: easy to keep razor sharp, tune easily, tanto tip, efficient cutting angle. the one I dulled on an elk rib is nor my practice head. They come in heavier weights.

What I don't: those stupid ones with serrated blades.

Think twice about change.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:10 AM

If you are happy with the characteristics of flight, penetration, and wound channel, I would be hesitant to change...
Old 09-01-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
What I like: easy to keep razor sharp, tune easily, tanto tip, efficient cutting angle. the one I dulled on an elk rib is nor my practice head. They come in heavier weights.

What I don't: those stupid ones with serrated blades.

Think twice about change.
Ok I got it, and yes the serrated ones are not what I am after. I shoot 100gr and they sharpen well
Old 09-02-2021, 04:24 PM

Get a vpa non vented 3 blade.
Actually get 6 and never buy another head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyparty View Post
I am shooting Magnus stingers that seem pretty tough and the company sends you a new one if you bend any blades. It’s been 9 years with these and as long as I tune them to the arrow they will shoot like a dart. Are the newer broadhead much better? And if so, how so?
Montecs or any other cut on contact broadhead.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:48 PM

My go to elk head was the vpa and German kinetics. I’ve got a couple doz of each type. Both in 150 grain and 1-1/4” and 1.5” respectively. I also own and shoot a few doz 150 grain stingers as well. You couldn’t pay me to shoot the 100 grain stingers because I found them easily broken but the 150’s have a lot more meat in the ferrule and have served me well. I’ve probably sent 5+ doz stingers back to Magnus for bent blades over the years and the replacement warranty has always been painless.

Three solid choices.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:08 PM

Default oil 37

with the 150gr how much do you have to adjust compared to your target points, with the 100gr once I tune the broadhead to the arrow by distance doesn't change so its seamless. That said, it the thick bush I hunt I am not going to be faced with anything over 40yds. I still shooting Maxima Red as I bought a bunch a few years back, I am sure there are better arrows, would be interested in your ideal setup. I am shooting bowtech experience 70lbs with top pin 25, second 40 and so on for 5 pin sight.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:57 PM

Default Best value broadhead for elk and moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyparty View Post
with the 150gr how much do you have to adjust compared to your target points, with the 100gr once I tune the broadhead to the arrow by distance doesn't change so its seamless. That said, it the thick bush I hunt I am not going to be faced with anything over 40yds. I still shooting Maxima Red as I bought a bunch a few years back, I am sure there are better arrows, would be interested in your ideal setup. I am shooting bowtech experience 70lbs with top pin 25, second 40 and so on for 5 pin sight.

That’s not a straight forward question to answer. What your essentially asking is how much does adding 50 grains up front change your POI right?

I usually shoot 200 grains up front. By adjusting insert weight I use 100, 125 and 150 grain broadheads screwed into 100, 75 and 50 grain inserts. Often I’ll have five different types of broadhead in my quiver for different reasons. My setup for elk sized game is 520 grain arrows at 288-290 FPS.

I’ve shot that 520 grain arrow and a standard carbon arrow with a 100 grain point (total weight ~420 grains) at the same target at 60m. The lighter arrow is about 4” higher at 60m.

The difference in trajectory isn’t a big deal, the difference in penetration is significant.

My sights are still 20/30/40/50/60. I tried starting the first pin at 30m a few years ago but 25+ years of knowing my first pin was 20m and each subsequent pin was +10m was to difficult to overcome.

My preferred setup is one that’s tuned perfectly. Field tips, bare shafts and broadheads grouping together at 60m. I like 500+ grains but have the DL and DW to make it work for me and the entire arrow system can’t break on any impact. I’ve shot my arrows into cement paving stones, 44 gal drums and glanced them off the butt ends of a stack of firewood from 1m when they’re still in parallax and at distances to make sure they won’t fail. From the prep on the shaft and type of glue you use on the insert to the external footing up front and the type of shaft you buy it all matters. My arrows will and have broken every bone in an elks body and they won’t break on any impact.

That last sentence is correct. I’ve shot them through spines, shoulders and pelvises post mortem. On live (but soon to be dead) elk I’ve broken shoulders and the humerus.

This is what my pin gap looks like to 60 with 520 grain arrows.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:23 AM

Anyone try alien archery out of Australia? Less than 70$ shipped for 6 Broadheads to your door. I've been using them for a couple years, solid Broadheads. I actually have a bunch Jason (the owner) sent me for practice since I order a lot. If anyone wants to try one for testing, get in touch. I might have what you're looking for. All I ask is mail it back so I can keep passing it forward.

Search alien archery Broadheads. They only come CNC sharp, but sharpen up nice. And the steel is crazy tough. Shot both my black bears with the same head. Didn't even touch it up from the 1st to the second.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:56 AM

Shoot widow makers fly straight are sharp
Old 09-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Ive been shooting Slick Tricks for as long as I can remember. I took a chance last year and tried shooting the Blackwidow Innovation broadheads. Honestly I would say stay away from them... The old vented widowmakers were decent, but pretty much the same as a slick trick style. The PX2's were meh. Both PX2 and Widowmaker I had many, and I mean many, blades and tips and ferrules break just shooting into a target. In my opinion they need to take a step back and master their 2 models before building "new models"... but that is too late...

I would personally stay with the bigger names.. Slick Trick, Muzzy, G5, so on and so forth. Ive never had a slick trick break, or bend, they ALWAYS fly true, they are tough, they penetrate, and they have been around for quite some time.

Just my 2 cents..
Old 09-03-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Anyone try alien archery out of Australia? Less than 70$ shipped for 6 Broadheads to your door. I've been using them for a couple years, solid Broadheads. I actually have a bunch Jason (the owner) sent me for practice since I order a lot. If anyone wants to try one for testing, get in touch. I might have what you're looking for. All I ask is mail it back so I can keep passing it forward.

Search alien archery Broadheads. They only come CNC sharp, but sharpen up nice. And the steel is crazy tough. Shot both my black bears with the same head. Didn't even touch it up from the 1st to the second.
Thanks for the tip. They weren’t on my radar but now looking at them they look like the same ones I ran across as prototypes from a guy in Gatton QLD about 9-10 years ago. Any idea where he’s making those?
I brought a couple hundred broadheads over here when I moved and haven’t put any effort into finding property to hunt but a couple days ago on my way home from work I saw a land owner out at his gate and stopped to talk to him. He gave me permission to hunt his 700 acres for pigs and deer which will get my foot in the door and should turn into access on neighbouring properties. With no tags or seasons it’s a free for all here. We can shoot as many animals as we want whenever we want so I expect to need plenty of broadheads over the coming years. These alien heads at $48/6 shipped may be an affordable option when the need arises.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:46 AM

Decided to pickup the bow again after 12yrs or so of not touching one, have a hankering to pigstick a bullwinkle as I have a draw this yr. I sold a whack of broadheads that I had a few yrs back. Scrounging around in various stashes, I still have a few of the Steelforce 100`s and some 100gr 2 blade Spitfires.
I`m not running out and buying broadheads, these`ll do.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That’s not a straight forward question to answer. What your essentially asking is how much does adding 50 grains up front change your POI right?

I usually shoot 200 grains up front. By adjusting insert weight I use 100, 125 and 150 grain broadheads screwed into 100, 75 and 50 grain inserts. Often I’ll have five different types of broadhead in my quiver for different reasons. My setup for elk sized game is 520 grain arrows at 288-290 FPS.

I’ve shot that 520 grain arrow and a standard carbon arrow with a 100 grain point (total weight ~420 grains) at the same target at 60m. The lighter arrow is about 4” higher at 60m.

The difference in trajectory isn’t a big deal, the difference in penetration is significant.

My sights are still 20/30/40/50/60. I tried starting the first pin at 30m a few years ago but 25+ years of knowing my first pin was 20m and each subsequent pin was +10m was to difficult to overcome.

My preferred setup is one that’s tuned perfectly. Field tips, bare shafts and broadheads grouping together at 60m. I like 500+ grains but have the DL and DW to make it work for me and the entire arrow system can’t break on any impact. I’ve shot my arrows into cement paving stones, 44 gal drums and glanced them off the butt ends of a stack of firewood from 1m when they’re still in parallax and at distances to make sure they won’t fail. From the prep on the shaft and type of glue you use on the insert to the external footing up front and the type of shaft you buy it all matters. My arrows will and have broken every bone in an elks body and they won’t break on any impact.

That last sentence is correct. I’ve shot them through spines, shoulders and pelvises post mortem. On live (but soon to be dead) elk I’ve broken shoulders and the humerus.

This is what my pin gap looks like to 60 with 520 grain arrows.

I’ve been externally footing my arrows (both ends) for years, it’s the right thing to do and makes an arrow indestructible.